Strength Theory

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Knowing that there are countless variables to take into account when striving to gain strength, and LBM, I'm not claiming this is the final word.

That being said...

I personally believe that if someone is having trouble gaining muscle, and they have learned DIET, and at the very least, basic training principles (like progressive overload / avoid overtraining), then their bodies are hormonally deficient in some way. The number one reason would be low FREE testosterone. This could be caused by a myriad of things, including diet, high SHBG, etc.

I think ALOT of people who have low free T believe they are forced to resort to AAS to be able to look and feel the same way as those who have naturally high T levels. Most of the time, it should be possible to increase their free test naturally without having to resort to AAS...

Discuss

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established
i dont avoid overtraining but incorperate it ruteinly
atleast 4 to 5 times a year, your body needs to be brought down to its weekest state then stop rest and grow. i come back stonger every time, incorperating streching and bloodflow type lifts when im in an over traind state really helps me grow

also i dont progressively workout to the point of overtraining but when the gains slow and i platue then is the time to take 1 or 2 days to hevily tax your CNS and whole body, squats usally do the trick along with cleans.
then for about 3 days i carb up and reast streching and runnig (active recovery)

so your saying that free test(low free test) is the direct cause for low strenght
maby high cortisol or other stress related hormones

so insted of takin aas we all need to find away to get fre test pumping?

i have to go but i will be back.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
i dont avoid overtraining but incorperate it ruteinly
atleast 4 to 5 times a year, your body needs to be brought down to its weekest state then stop rest and grow. i come back stonger every time, incorperating streching and bloodflow type lifts when im in an over traind state really helps me grow

also i dont progressively workout to the point of overtraining but when the gains slow and i platue then is the time to take 1 or 2 days to hevily tax your CNS and whole body, squats usally do the trick along with cleans.
then for about 3 days i carb up and reast streching and runnig (active recovery)

so your saying that free test(low free test) is the direct cause for low strenght
maby high cortisol or other stress related hormones

so insted of takin aas we all need to find away to get fre test pumping?

i have to go but i will be back.

Precisely. Many people can disgaree on training ideologies, but if you can't grow then I believe it's hormone, or deficiency related.

I'm not saying AAS use is evil. I just think some people could hold off on using AAS while focusing on boosting their natural test as much as possible... trying everything... diet, sleep, training, supplements, etc.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I've become convinced that LACK of SLEEP is the single biggest factor with people who aren't aggressively stupid.

If one doesn't get *enough* sleep (either quality OR quantity), cortisol levels (& stress) will soar, and hormone levels/balance will suffer. More kcals, more protein, more supps, more training - none of these will compensate for a shortage of the deep sleep our bodies need to USE all that crap we keep throwing into them.

Great idea for a thread - hope you don't mind me chiming in (love the title, too - I find string theory delightfully irritating)

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Most of the time, it should be possible to increase their free test naturally without having to resort to AAS...
Since your original premise is that "...they have learned DIET, and at the very least, basic training principles...” what protocol are you advocating?

CleetusVanDam

CleetusVanDam

Awards
  • Established
I agree that it can be done without the use of AAS, there is a definite need for peiodic overtraining to force your body to adapt and combat catabolism on its own hormonally. The stimulus of fast twitch muscle fiber also seems to have a direct effect on the body's level of free testosterone, explosive atheltic activities and training using olympic type movements greatly increase the activated amount of white muscle fiber.

ozarkaBRAND

ozarkaBRAND

Awards
  • Established
How about a list of the methods you know of for increasing natural test levels?

CleetusVanDam

CleetusVanDam

Awards
  • Established
a few basics:
1) anabolic nutrition-eating and supplementing correctly in order to keep your body in an anabolic state: excess of protein and healthy fats, rely only on carbs post workout.
2) train with heavy compound movements, the more muscle groups activated, the more free test produced.
3) adequate rest 7-9 hours sleep per 24 hour day
4) incorporate explosive athletic movements into your workout routine, lifts such as cleans, snatch, and jerks. Incorporate plyometric movements like box jumps or double leg bounds, and replace long distance cardio with short distance sprints.
5) maintain healthy sexual activity, and yes that includes masterbation, testosterone levels peak/spike during sexual activities.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I've become convinced that LACK of SLEEP is the single biggest factor with people who aren't aggressively stupid.

If one doesn't get *enough* sleep (either quality OR quantity), cortisol levels (& stress) will soar, and hormone levels/balance will suffer. More kcals, more protein, more supps, more training - none of these will compensate for a shortage of the deep sleep our bodies need to USE all that crap we keep throwing into them.

Great idea for a thread - hope you don't mind me chiming in (love the title, too - I find string theory delightfully irritating)

Lack of sleep can lower TEST levels too. I agree though. No sleep, and no recovery--but I think lack of sleep causes these hormone problems.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
a few basics:
1) anabolic nutrition-eating and supplementing correctly in order to keep your body in an anabolic state: excess of protein and healthy fats, rely only on carbs post workout.
2) train with heavy compound movements, the more muscle groups activated, the more free test produced.
3) adequate rest 7-9 hours sleep per 24 hour day
4) incorporate explosive athletic movements into your workout routine, lifts such as cleans, snatch, and jerks. Incorporate plyometric movements like box jumps or double leg bounds, and replace long distance cardio with short distance sprints.
5) maintain healthy sexual activity, and yes that includes masterbation, testosterone levels peak/spike during sexual activities.

A japanese study done, claimed a 147% increase in test levels when not ejaculating for 7 days. No further increase was found after 7 days.

Erections supposed boost test, but it plateau's when you get off.

Divanil aka stininging nettle root increases free test by bing with SHGB. Activate Xtreme is a good divanil product.

Higher fat diet with Monosaturated fats, and Saturated fats has been shown to increase test, as well as whole eggs.

Plenty of sleep, and low stress.

alwaysgaining

alwaysgaining

Awards
  • Established

oo boi lack of sleep can destory test and your mind/body slowly but progessivly, it like running an engine at WOT and never changing the oil
when u sleep all of your bodys repair systems go to work

dunk826

dunk826

Awards
Question Regarding Sleep

If 7-9 hours per sleep is what is required for a 24 hour period, is it acceptable to get 6 hours at once, and then 2 later in the day? I am planning a wedding (getting married in October), we just bought our house, a new car, and got a puppy. So talk about stress!!! The puppy has to get up in the middle of the night to be let out, and he seems to always get up 30 minutes before my alarm. Any suggestions to keep my cortisol levels lower?
I'm sure my cort levels are high right now because I also had MAJOR knee surgery for 3rd time in three year and I'm pretty stressed about that.
Sorry not meaning to hijack thread, but I don't hear much talk about sleep related issues here. :)
I used to be 225 and 11% BF, I'm currently 215 and 15-16% BF. SOOOO I want to reverse this evil trend ASAP. I am lifting and dieting very cleanly right now. Of course I'm only 6 weeks back into lifting, 9 weeks postop.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
I have a knee sugery coming up myself. Torn meniscus.

In any case, some people don't need as much sleep, but ideally 7 hours is the least you'd want to get. I can't get away with less than 8 myself.

Eat regularly, evert 3-4 hours. Stimulants increase cortisol. There are some good anti-cort supplements like Endoamp and Lean Xtreme. Don't overtrain.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
Any suggestions to keep my cortisol levels lower?
Yeah, don't stess out over 6 vs. 8 hours of sleep!

If 7-9 hours per sleep is what is required for a 24 hour period.
Define what you mean by "is required."

I'm sure my cort levels are high right now
How high? What were the results of the blood work?

get up in the middle of the night to be let out, and he seems to always get up 30 minutes before my alarm.
I guess there are no individuals with kids who are ~10% BF or less, right...?

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
There are, but I'd be willing to bet less than 1%....
Of the entire world population..., of the spinner crowd at 24 hour fitness..., of this board..., of Gold's gym in Venice...?

Dude, you are really good on conjecture.

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
More anecdotal than anything. Unless you have evidence then what you state will be conjecture also...

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I just mean we are equally clueless about the number of people with that low BF%.
No. You were willing to make a wager that 1% of some population that you still haven't identified. I asked the poster if he believes there are no people with kids (or, more directly, people who get wakened during their sleep) who are at 10% BF or below. I know for a fact that there are greater than zero. You have no idea as to the veracity of 1% of whatever population you were referring to. Rather, you just threw out a number.

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
But lets get back to your claims, 'cause I'd like to understand if you're just spouting out anecdotal BB lore or if you have a way to back them up.

A japanese study done, claimed a 147% increase in test levels when not ejaculating for 7 days. No further increase was found after 7 days.

Erections supposed boost test, but it plateau's when you get off.
Close. Actually, I think that you are referring to the study done at Hangzhou College in China, not Japan, and published in 2002 and 2003. Both studies are rather obscure based on their abstracts.

There is also a different study on this topic in which participants abstaining for three weeks showed elevated levels of testosterone. Anyone here want to abstain for three weeks 'cuz they ain’t growin’…?

Divanil aka stinging nettle root increases free test by bing with SHGB. Activate Xtreme is a good divanil product.
I know it is DS’ claim for Activate Xtreme, but the published research shows Urtica dioica to be used primarily in the treatment of benign prostatic hyperplasia. I’d like to see the research, not the marketing/sales pitch. Otherwise I think that the effects of nettle root, like other supplements (horny goat weed, for example), are anacdotal at best. So, please post references to research that supports this.

Higher fat diet with Monosaturated fats, and Saturated fats has been shown to increase test, as well as whole eggs.
Well, whole eggs only have ~2 g saturated fat per egg, so how does that help in a higher fat diet? The cholesterol perhaps or something other than the fat content…? Also, will eating a higher fat diet overcome the hormonal deficiencies of someone who is having trouble gaining muscle?

Plenty of sleep, and low stress.
Where is the line of demarcation for amount of sleep required? Is total hours more important than sleep state (Slow Wave Sleep, for example) or time of sleep (day vs. night)? How does that affect cortisol?

JohnnyBGood

JohnnyBGood

Awards
a very intriguing topic indeed. What I'm noticing is that the topic is highly debateable, and it's difficult to answer these questions through observation alone. All this uncertainty is undesirable if one is fed-up with not growing. AAS are known to work. Even people with naturally high t levels resort to steroid use because it constitutes a shortcut.

As we all know, sleep and cortisol control became less important for people on cycle. It's just easier to add strength and muscle while "on." I guess what I'm getting at here is... how much more time, effort, and self-experimentation does it take to successfully address without steroids these hormone "deficiencies" to which the OP points as the reason for stalled muscle gains? We can't even isolate a universally successful protocol for accomplishing this task. AAS are universally successful in accomplishing their tasks.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
whats your take on genetic limitations? lack of sleep and rest can fall back of improper diet which was thought to be perfect. could just be another vicious circle!