Measurment question - AnabolicMinds.com

Measurment question

  1. soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    333

    Reputation

    Measurment question


    ok i have NO clue where to post this on this forum so as this is 'exercise science' i thought why not throw in a 'measurments science' question

    my question is... where exactly do you measure your thighs when you're trying to determine their circumference?

    biceps/chest/calves seem easy... but thighs... I'm not too sure
    you take it an inch higher and all of a sudden your thighs are 2" larger

    also... when you guys measure for the hell of it (who doesnt?) I presume its while tensing?

  2. drivehard's Avatar
    Stats
    5'9"  199 lbs.
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    35
    Posts
    427
    Rep Power
    346

    Reputation

    I can't say I have measured myself in years...doesn't really matter how big it is...just how big it looks :-)
  3. Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1500

    Reputation

    I usually go up high enough that the bulk of my quad and the bulk of my ham are both included. I haven't measured in forever though. I am not sure if that is the proper way to do it or not. Google it IMO. Lol.
    •   
       

  4. Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1500

    Reputation



    There is one site's opinion.
  5. Board Moderator
    Unbreakable
    David Dunn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Age
    49
    Posts
    11,708
    Rep Power
    950991

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    For progress - same place every time.

    For your ego - largest point (may be same as above)
  6. Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1500

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Heat Miser View Post
    For progress - same place every time.

    For your ego - largest point (may be same as above)
    The only spot I don't agree with in that pic is the leg. I would go more towards the middle of the quad.
  7. Rosie Chee's Avatar
    Stats
    5'1"  123 lbs.
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    30
    Posts
    16,156
    Rep Power
    193998

    Reputation Reputation Reputation Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    ok i have NO clue where to post this on this forum so as this is 'exercise science' i thought why not throw in a 'measurments science' question

    my question is... where exactly do you measure your thighs when you're trying to determine their circumference?

    biceps/chest/calves seem easy... but thighs... I'm not too sure
    you take it an inch higher and all of a sudden your thighs are 2" larger

    also... when you guys measure for the hell of it (who doesnt?) I presume its while tensing?
    There are TWO thigh girth measurements (re ISAK anthropometry):
    1. 1cm distal to the gluteal line (i.e. this is at the largest point of the thigh, up near the gluteals); and
    2. mid tro-tib lat (i.e. this is where you would take the 'thigh skinfold'; and is about one hand-span above the superior angle of the patella/'dip' in the middle of the distal femur).

    As for the rest being "easy"; each measurement is in a SPECIFIC place on the body, and is the SAME each time (i.e. you use the bones and distances between, to get the same place each time).

    You should NOT be tensing whilst taking measurements (unless you are doing the biceps flexed measurement).
    Contact Me for INDIVIDUALIZED TRAINING AND NUTRITION

    "Think like a Champion. Train like a Warrior. Live with a Purpose." - Rosie Chee
  8. soseg's Avatar
    Stats
    6'0"  187 lbs.
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Age
    26
    Posts
    488
    Rep Power
    333

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by Guejsn View Post
    You should NOT be tensing whilst taking measurements (unless you are doing the biceps flexed measurement).
    Lame! you telling me some guys on here have 18" arms while relaxed and that arnie had 22"s relaxed? omg! i lose a whole inch when i dont tense!
  9. bryan4592's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    109
    Rep Power
    135

    Reputation

    Yep, Guejsn was right on. There are 2 spots on the thigh to measure in a complete body girth measurement. 1 inch or so below the gluteal fold (under the buttcheek) and halfway between the top of the thigh bone and the top of the tibia. Both bone locations being taken from the lateral side of the leg. The key, however, is to be consistent and always measure the same place. Also, never flex.
  10. Aggravated's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    2,746
    Rep Power
    1500

    Reputation

    Quote Originally Posted by soseg View Post
    Lame! you telling me some guys on here have 18" arms while relaxed and that arnie had 22"s relaxed? omg! i lose a whole inch when i dont tense!
    I think Arnold's arms were measured when flexed.
  11. dunk826's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Age
    33
    Posts
    64
    Rep Power
    167

    Reputation

    Correct


    Yep. She was right all the way. I get ticked when my clients automatically flex when I measure them , especially when we are doing simple girth measurements for a WEIGHTLOSS client. LOL
    One Tip: Make note of landmarks, so-to-speak, on your body when measuring, such as a mole or freckle. This helps in remaining consistent when measuring. Also always have the same person measure you. 1/2 a cm distal or proximal to whatever you are measureing and you have a different measurement.
  

  
 

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Daa question + waxy maize (Kwick Karb) question
    By doolee in forum Supplements
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-06-2011, 12:57 PM
  2. Replies: 10
    Last Post: 10-01-2010, 01:23 PM
  3. Measurment......
    By tek in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 06-27-2005, 07:59 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Log in
Log in