Measurment question

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
ok i have NO clue where to post this on this forum so as this is 'exercise science' i thought why not throw in a 'measurments science' question

my question is... where exactly do you measure your thighs when you're trying to determine their circumference?

biceps/chest/calves seem easy... but thighs... I'm not too sure
you take it an inch higher and all of a sudden your thighs are 2" larger

also... when you guys measure for the hell of it (who doesnt?) I presume its while tensing?

drivehard

drivehard

Awards
  • Established
I can't say I have measured myself in years...doesn't really matter how big it is...just how big it looks :)

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I usually go up high enough that the bulk of my quad and the bulk of my ham are both included. I haven't measured in forever though. I am not sure if that is the proper way to do it or not. Google it IMO. Lol.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For progress - same place every time.

For your ego - largest point (may be same as above)

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
For progress - same place every time.

For your ego - largest point (may be same as above)
The only spot I don't agree with in that pic is the leg. I would go more towards the middle of the quad.

Rosie Chee

Rosie Chee

The Female Terminator
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ok i have NO clue where to post this on this forum so as this is 'exercise science' i thought why not throw in a 'measurments science' question

my question is... where exactly do you measure your thighs when you're trying to determine their circumference?

biceps/chest/calves seem easy... but thighs... I'm not too sure
you take it an inch higher and all of a sudden your thighs are 2" larger

also... when you guys measure for the hell of it (who doesnt?) I presume its while tensing?
There are TWO thigh girth measurements (re ISAK anthropometry):
1. 1cm distal to the gluteal line (i.e. this is at the largest point of the thigh, up near the gluteals); and
2. mid tro-tib lat (i.e. this is where you would take the 'thigh skinfold'; and is about one hand-span above the superior angle of the patella/'dip' in the middle of the distal femur).

As for the rest being "easy"; each measurement is in a SPECIFIC place on the body, and is the SAME each time (i.e. you use the bones and distances between, to get the same place each time).

You should NOT be tensing whilst taking measurements (unless you are doing the biceps flexed measurement).

soseg

soseg

Awards
  • Established
You should NOT be tensing whilst taking measurements (unless you are doing the biceps flexed measurement).
Lame! you telling me some guys on here have 18" arms while relaxed and that arnie had 22"s relaxed? omg! i lose a whole inch when i dont tense!

bryan4592

Awards
Yep, Guejsn was right on. There are 2 spots on the thigh to measure in a complete body girth measurement. 1 inch or so below the gluteal fold (under the buttcheek) and halfway between the top of the thigh bone and the top of the tibia. Both bone locations being taken from the lateral side of the leg. The key, however, is to be consistent and always measure the same place. Also, never flex.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Lame! you telling me some guys on here have 18" arms while relaxed and that arnie had 22"s relaxed? omg! i lose a whole inch when i dont tense!
I think Arnold's arms were measured when flexed.

dunk826

dunk826

Awards
Correct

Yep. She was right all the way. I get ticked when my clients automatically flex when I measure them , especially when we are doing simple girth measurements for a WEIGHTLOSS client. LOL
One Tip: Make note of landmarks, so-to-speak, on your body when measuring, such as a mole or freckle. This helps in remaining consistent when measuring. Also always have the same person measure you. 1/2 a cm distal or proximal to whatever you are measureing and you have a different measurement.