Exercises to hit Upper Pec (near collar bone)

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
I am having a hell of a time finding exercises to hit this area. It has always been my lacking part of my pectoral. Its my upper to inner area around my collarbone. I have begun doing weighted cable pull jabs. I know it sounds stupid, but its been helping. Any other suggestions? I do incline already (BB & DB).

Any suggestions would be appreciated

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
There is not an 'upper nor middle' pectoralis major. Its insertion at the humerus allows movement of the arm segment towards its origin, which activates the pectoralis major as a whole. If you are lacking there it's either from genetics or your pectoralis major isn't fully developed.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
i guess is should have explained it better. Its not so much near my collar bone its at the top of my sternum

TexasTitan

TexasTitan

Awards
  • Established
Incline bench, DB or BB? Incline Flies?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
datBtrue posted a thread in which he discussed partial repetitions, using a closed-grip, and finishing the eccentric portion approximately 4cm above the chest creating higher EMG reading than full-grip, full-repetitions [on Incline BB].

Try closing your grip and shortening your eccentric motion - this may active the pectoralis as a whole substantially more than your current grip.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
datBtrue posted a thread in which he discussed partial repetitions, using a closed-grip, and finishing the eccentric portion approximately 4cm above the chest creating higher EMG reading than full-grip, full-repetitions [on Incline BB].

Try closing your grip and shortening your eccentric motion - this may active the pectoralis as a whole substantially more than your current grip.
thanks mullet. So similar to a close-grip incline press? Almost Like a powerlifting hold where the chest is not touched?

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
thanks mullet. So similar to a close-grip incline press? Almost Like a powerlifting hold where the chest is not touched?
Yes, but I would not tuck the elbows. I would simply shorten a standard BB grip and bring the the bar about 4 cm/2" above the chest. Explode just as you hit that point, so there is never a complete 'stop' to the motion.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Yes, but I would not tuck the elbows. I would simply shorten a standard BB grip and bring the the bar about 4 cm/2" above the chest. Explode just as you hit that point, so there is never a complete 'stop' to the motion.
sounds good I will give that a go. My incline strength is developing consistently as well as my outter pec, but my inner still does not wish to develop at the same rate. I will let you know how this goes.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
As rr said, the pectoralis is always activated universally, therefore, your issue is either underdevelopment [from inactivation] or genetics; this may be a remedy that will assist in activating the pec as a whole to a greater degree!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Try incline flys at a higher angle (>45 degrees) with a controlled 3 sec eccentric motion. This will help to stretch the fascia to fill in that gap. Another thing to remember is that this is generally the last place to fill in throughout the chest. Seldom does anyone not have this gap unless they are ~220 or so.

brk_nemesis

brk_nemesis

yea!!!!!
Awards
  • Established
incline flyes, and incline crossovers helped me in this aspect

gekkoboy14

Awards
There is not an 'upper nor middle' pectoralis major. Its insertion at the humerus allows movement of the arm segment towards its origin, which activates the pectoralis major as a whole. If you are lacking there it's either from genetics or your pectoralis major isn't fully developed.
there are 2 heads though, sternal and clavicular.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
one other that I have found successful is a low cable cross over, one that you bring out and up so to speak. Do it 1 arm at a time, slowly with a good squueze. I have found that as a great upper chest finisher

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
I find guys with problem upper pecs use too much front delts, so dont over extend the lift to prevent activating the delts at the top and keeping the chest less involved.

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
I find guys with problem upper pecs use too much front delts, so dont over extend the lift to prevent activating the delts at the top and keeping the chest less involved.
For sure, basically dont lock out.:1244:

russy_russ

Awards
  • Established
there are 2 heads though, sternal and clavicular.
Those are at the origin, which do not move. There is only one insertion and it's on the humerus. The insertions move freely, and the nerves innervating the pectoralis major fire muscle fibers from the entire muscle group. It is not possible to only fire 'upper or lower / inner or outer' areas. An EMG is used in exercise physiological research to prove this. Some studies show a slightly higher firing in upper 'region' of the pectoralis major at a very slight incline ~10-20 degree elevation over flat bench; however, this is only a very minute difference.

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
cross bench pullovers...nothing hits that upper area better

MMAMONSTER19

Awards
  • Established
incline flys, incline cable cross overs is what i use

mooch2321

mooch2321

Awards
  • Established
this works my back :think:...and nice AVI hahaha

this can be used for both back and chest...you just have to be in tune with your body enough to figure it out....try bending your arms a little to target your chest

somewhatgifted

somewhatgifted

Awards
  • Established
this can be used for both back and chest...you just have to be in tune with your body enough to figure it out....try bending your arms a little to target your chest
Ive read that the pullover works 60-70% of your muscle groups. I perform this with an elbow bend at the top and try to keep my arms close together with an elbow flare only at the bottom or as flexibility permits. My arms skim my ears on the way up and i feel my chest squeeze together with almost a shrug shouder position through the middle.

With a wide elbow flare its like a wide grip pressdown back movement, with elbows parallel its more chest IMO.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Also I like to squeeze my pecs at the top of my incline presses or flyes for added contraction. And flex and pose between sets. I think this helps.

Behemoth1

Awards
  • Established
db incline flys greater than 45degree incline supersetted with dumbell pull overs