Workout Critique

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Here is a sample of the workout I am considering following during my M1T cycle. It's kind of a derivative of DC's goods, using the 4 day (MWFM) split.

M-Chest
Incline DB Presses-2 sets totalling ~20 reps, to failure
Flat DB Presses-R/P method, ~15 reps
Floor presses-1-2 sets. Failure around 4 both sets

W-Legs
Barbell Squat-R/P method ~15 reps
SLDL-2 sets to failure
Hack Squat or Leg Press~1-2 sets to failure
Calves

F-Shoulders/Tris
Power Snatch-2 sets ~15 reps total
Seated DB Arnold Press-R/P method ~15 reps
DB Laterals-1 set to failure

M-Back
Deadlift-R/P method ~15 reps total
BW Pullups-R/P Method however many I can do
Barbell Row-2 sets to failure

Overtraining? Undertraining? Clear off the fucking mark? Any help appreciated.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
IMHO I think your doing a bit much for your chest and legs. For legs one all out balls to the wall set of 10rep-20rest pause deep squats is all I can muster. After that set my body shutsdown and I feel like vomiting for 2 or so hours. But I do this because my legs grow like weeds on it.

As for chest I would cut down it down to maybe one set of incline press to failure and then one set with rest pause flat db raises. I also noticed no biceps excercises, wondering why? I think you should incorporate one set of hammer curls on back day 10reps-20rest pause. This will give you that peak in your biceps. My 2 cents I might of missed some things but I gg to bed. Later

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
unless im missing something, just looking at your routine seems to me that you could hit all group with more volume. however, your choice of exercises very nice. Solid, compound movements or important isolated movements. Some biceps on the 2nd Monday would be nice.

Sage

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
This is the thing Swanson, your going to get different opinions from everyone. I train very strictly along the guidelines of IA and DC methods, where as sage may be doing something completely different. What I do works work me, and what he does works for him. I do my warm up sets then 1 all out set to failure with rest pause. I'm growing better then ever with this routine so I'm happy. Not sure how long you've been working out but it comes down to finding out what your body wants and what will make it grow.

If what your doing isn't working then mix it up, if your not going up in weight or reps from week to week then you need to mix it up. If you haven't already read DC cycle for pennies thread lots of good info and insight especially to how I train. have a good one.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established

I also noticed no biceps excercises, wondering why?
I do biceps on back day...forgot to put em on the schedule workout above.:) I see I forgot to add tris, too. :rolleyes: For bis I do a set of barbell curls to failure and a set of either hammer or reverse grip curls to failure. For tris I do a set of french presses or skullcrushers to failure.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
This is the thing Swanson, your going to get different opinions from everyone. I train very strictly along the guidelines of IA and DC methods, where as sage may be doing something completely different. What I do works work me, and what he does works for him. I do my warm up sets then 1 all out set to failure with rest pause. I'm growing better then ever with this routine so I'm happy. Not sure how long you've been working out but it comes down to finding out what your body wants and what will make it grow.

If what your doing isn't working then mix it up, if your not going up in weight or reps from week to week then you need to mix it up. If you haven't already read DC cycle for pennies thread lots of good info and insight especially to how I train. have a good one.
I assumed I would get several different opinions, just wanted to make sure that I wasn't CLEAR off the mark with my derivative of DC's 4 day (MWFM) workout. I may incorporate a bit more R/P.

As an aside, I did read the 99 page ( :eek: ) thread on DC's cycle. One of the most impressive pieces of work I have seen. Took me forever to get through it! Thanks for the advice!!

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
unless im missing something, just looking at your routine seems to me that you could hit all group with more volume. however, your choice of exercises very nice. Solid, compound movements or important isolated movements. Some biceps on the 2nd Monday would be nice.

Sage
When you say more volume; more sets, more reps, or more exercises?

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established

When you say more volume; more sets, more reps, or more exercises?
could mean all 3 actually but typically, volume is referred to repetitive motion of an exercise. But in this case, I meant you should could add in more sets to complete your workout. Like Jminis mentioned, a person's workout should be determined by an individual basis. Ive tried different day splits, many sets vs few sets, high reps vs low reps, failure vs no failure....etc. A person will find his or her nitch and groove. Im not too familiar with DC's 4 day routine so ill bump this for you for someone else to ponder that question.

Sage

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Right now I'm on a three day split (MWF). I do warm up sets with stretching etc etc. then my all out set with rest pause. I try to go up in weight each week or go up in reps completed. This way my body has no choice but to adapt to the heavier weight or amount of being lifted each week hence my muscle growing to compensate. Doing my one all out set with RP allows me to activate growth response and fully recover by next workout. That's the key right there to do minimal work to activate growth. Anything more in my eyes, overtraining.

As I read IA and DC's articles and various threads my eyes were opened so to speak. If your not going into the gym and striving for improvement each and every week what's the point of going. I will never again go back to volume work, though I'm tempted sometimes because of pure stupidity. Try this out, on leg day go in and do one all out, praying to god set of squats with 10reps and then rest pause to 20 and tell me if you think you still want to do some more sets. If your set is truly balls to the wall, has you speaking profanity you've never heard of, and makes you think no way in hell your getting that last rep then your doing it right.

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What does your 3 day MWF split look like?

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Monday
Back,Bi's,Traps

Wed
Legs

Friday
Chest,Shoulders, Tri's

Swanson52

Swanson52

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Monday
Back,Bi's,Traps

Wed
Legs

Friday
Chest,Shoulders, Tri's
How many exercises per bodypart?

Thanks for the input BTW. I like your split.

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
Well I do my stretching and warm up sets. Warm up sets I just do 3 or 4 reps, mainly to stretch my muscle out and get in mental state to lift the heavy weights. When it comes down to it I do One set at maximum capacity. Traps and abs are the only muscle I do maybe 3 sets for.

tatortodd

Awards
  • Established
I've read DC's cycles on pennies thread, all of IA's articles on here, and Stuart McRobert's Brawn. I haven't adopted the extreme stretching (yet) so I won't offend IA or DC by saying I'm doing their program. I've been doing a hardgainer routine since August and I'm making the best gains of my life. Everything except squats and abs, I up the weight once I can clear 12 reps. For squats, I up the weight once I can clear 20 reps. For abs, I up the weight once I can clear 25 reps. Here's my 3 day split:

Monday (Week A)
  • 5 min moderate cardio for systemic warm-up
  • stretching and rotator cuff exercises
  • Back Width: Pull-ups. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • Back Thickness: DB Lawnmower rows. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • Biceps: Straight bar curls. one work set
  • Abs: weighted ab machine. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
Wednesday (Week A)
  • 10 min moderate cardio for systemic warm-up
  • stretching
  • calves: seated calf machine. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • hamstrings (plus a few others): Stiff Legged Deadlifts. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • quads (plus a few others): Squats. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • attempt to climb into my truck
  • attempt to climb flight of stairs to my condo
Friday (Week A)
  • chest: flat bench. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • delts: Hammer military press. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • triceps: Reverse Grip Bench on Smith Rack. one work set
Monday (Week B)
  • Back Width: Lat Pulls. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • Back Thickness: Hammer rows. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • Biceps: preacher curls. one work set
  • Abs: weighted ab machine (same as week A). Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
Wednesday (Week B)
  • 10 min moderate cardio for systemic warm-up
  • stretching
  • calves: standing calf machine. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • hamstrings: Leg Curls. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • quads (plus a few others): Rack Deadlifts. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • attempt to climb into my truck
  • attempt to climb flight of stairs to my condo
Friday (Week B)
  • chest: incline bench. Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • delts: military press (different machine than week A). . Warm-up (as much as necessary) and one work set
  • triceps: Close Grip Bench on Smith Rack. one work set
~Todd

jminis

jminis

Awards
  • Established
My routine and excercises look very similar to tatortodds. I also always do about 10mins on the bike before working out. The only difference really is I incorporate extreme stretching which I have to say works wonders in shaping certain muscles.