Crossfit for size?

Page 2 of 2 First 12

  1. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Uhh, sarcoplasmic hypertrophy is the definition of mass gains as myofibrillar hypertrophy is not going to do much in terms of LBM gains. I've touched upon this many times, but Crossfit is horribly imbalanced in term of planar focus. Almost everything is focused on vertical flexion/extension whether it be pullups, dips, overhead presses, etc. and the horizontal plane is practically ignored. There are not flat or inclined press and/or any form of rows (I don't mean the conditioning machine), which leads to not only the aforementioned muscular imbalance, but also illustrates one of the many holes in the "theory" behind CF.

    What exactly is done within CF that focuses on either maximal strength development or speed-strength aka the dynamic effort? That's right...nothing. I don't know when it happened, but at some point, all conditioning and/or cross-training became CF, which is total bull****. There is nothing innovative or special about CF outside of their marketing schemes.
    I wanna rep this post 10x in a row and it won't let me!!
    >SNS-Glycophase<
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Rep


  2. The only use I would every have for a "crossfit style" workout would be as a conditioning tool maybe 2 times a week. This would be as a supplement to heavy weight training.
    •   
       


  3. Have a friend that is a CrossFit coach. Even he says CF will NOT get you big. He's 5'8 165ish and very strong for his size...but really, the goal of crossfit is not to get big. I'm really not sure what the goal of CF is. Honestly, the only reason I would ever consider doing CF is.....well, wait. I would never consider doing CF.

    Except...honestly I contemplated doing some crossfit to get my body prepared for the zombie apocalypse....as it trains for fatigue I thought that might work. But then I realized if I wanted to do that, I'd be better off doing parkour. Then I realized, I have a **** ton of guns and ammo, I'm good.
    Last edited by TruthWalker; 09-19-2012 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammar...wording...something like that

  4. You will get some size but not so much...sstick to a more bodybuilding program
    Want to handstand like bruce lee?

    ----------> lostartofhandbalancing.com <---------------

  5. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Crossfit and bulking is an oxymoron.
    Quote Originally Posted by t-bone2 View Post
    Crossfit and bulking is an oxymoron.
    Negative to both. First off CrossFit can and is, on a daily ****ing basis, molded to the athlete for what he wants out of it. At its core, yes I'll agree that it would be hard to bulk, but not impossible. However, planned correctly and then watering and feeding onself properly, it would not be hard at all. Case in point..google: Jason Khalipa, Rob Orlando.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."
    •   
       


  6. Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    Negative to both. First off CrossFit can and is, on a daily ****ing basis, molded to the athlete for what he wants out of it. At its core, yes I'll agree that it would be hard to bulk, but not impossible. However, planned correctly and then watering and feeding onself properly, it would not be hard at all. Case in point..google: Jason Khalipa, Rob Orlando.
    Molded toward WHAT athlete? The abuse of olympic lifts and plyometrics aside, crossfit is not tailored toward any specific athlete. There is no specificity. That's one of my biggest qualms with it. The utter lack of specificity, and this close minded dogma that when you talk about specificity, periodization, or peaking, the crossfit ostrich sticks his head in the sand.

    Planned correctly for hypertrophy and it would no longer be crossfit. Planned correctly for strength and it would not be crossfit. And planned correctly for footbal (despite the cf football site), and it would not look much like crossfit. You can do that by inserting nearly any sport or goal in there.

    Sure, its fine for conditioning. But if your goal is to improve specific performance, it is no longer applicable.

    Br

  7. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    Molded toward WHAT athlete? The abuse of olympic lifts and plyometrics aside, crossfit is not tailored toward any specific athlete. There is no specificity. That's one of my biggest qualms with it. The utter lack of specificity, and this close minded dogma that when you talk about specificity, periodization, or peaking, the crossfit ostrich sticks his head in the sand.

    Planned correctly for hypertrophy and it would no longer be crossfit. Planned correctly for strength and it would not be crossfit. And planned correctly for footbal (despite the cf football site), and it would not look much like crossfit. You can do that by inserting nearly any sport or goal in there.

    Sure, its fine for conditioning. But if your goal is to improve specific performance, it is no longer applicable.

    Br
    I'm surprised that with your education and background you wouldn't be more open to that thought. I frankly don't care if you believe or not or what you qualm with "it" is. I use it daily on myself and have seen and coached athletes in several different modalities to their SPECIFIC goal. But I guess maybe empirical (instead of skepticism and negative press) evidence isn't enough for you. Someone with a CSCS from NSCA should be a little more open.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

  8. Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    I'm surprised that with your education and background you wouldn't be more open to that thought. I frankly don't care if you believe or not or what you qualm with "it" is. I use it daily on myself and have seen and coached athletes in several different modalities to their SPECIFIC goal. But I guess maybe empirical (instead of skepticism and negative press) evidence isn't enough for you. Someone with a CSCS from NSCA should be a little more open.
    That's the problem, there is no empirical evidence. Its all anecdotal. If you attempt to discuss the theoretical or application flaws the response is always n=1.

    My education and experience has given me the ability to critically evaluate strength and conditioning programs. And when I evaluate the use of crossfit for sports it turns up a number of potential issues. Some performance compromising, like ignoring training specific energy systems and movements; some more severe, such as increased risk for injuries due to over use and imbalanced exercise selection.

    Br

  9. Quote Originally Posted by ZiR RED

    That's the problem, there is no empirical evidence. Its all anecdotal. If you attempt to discuss the theoretical or application flaws the response is always n=1.

    My education and experience has given me the ability to critically evaluate strength and conditioning programs. And when I evaluate the use of crossfit for sports it turns up a number of potential issues. Some performance compromising, like ignoring training specific energy systems and movements; some more severe, such as increased risk for injuries due to over use and imbalanced exercise selection.

    Br
    We can agree to disagree, my man. I KNOW and have the effects of Crossfit + Westside on a "plandomization" cycle. To the OP, all I'm saying is it works and can be done with smart training. The issue is I have seen more **** CrossFit programs than good ones. But good ones are out there: The Outlaw Way, CF Invictus, Catalyst Athletics, BlackBox S&C, Optimum Performance Training, CF New England, CF Conquest...all those are good jumping points.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

  10. Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    I'm surprised that with your education and background you wouldn't be more open to that thought. I frankly don't care if you believe or not or what you qualm with "it" is. I use it daily on myself and have seen and coached athletes in several different modalities to their SPECIFIC goal. But I guess maybe empirical (instead of skepticism and negative press) evidence isn't enough for you. Someone with a CSCS from NSCA should be a little more open.
    If you didn't care, then why did you bump this thread to state your opinion? CF has become purely a marketing tactic as the original foundations have been watered down by the exited and/or expelling of several of the key influences, not to mention the ridiculous amount of boxes that are now out there. It's kinda funny that you bring up a CSCS as one of the best pieces of information found within the text is the energy systems and their applications as it is something that CF grossly ignores. When their is a CF guy that breaks some world and/or federation records on any of the power and/or Olympic lifts, then let me know. Until then, it is and will remain an ambiguous, vague term that is thrown around without any real definition to it.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  11. Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    We can agree to disagree, my man. I KNOW and have the effects of Crossfit + Westside on a "plandomization" cycle. To the OP, all I'm saying is it works and can be done with smart training. The issue is I have seen more **** CrossFit programs than good ones. But good ones are out there: The Outlaw Way, CF Invictus, Catalyst Athletics, BlackBox S&C, Optimum Performance Training, CF New England, CF Conquest...all those are good jumping points.
    Westside is not a cycle; it is a continuous method employed to increase the strength of the athlete. While it is nice to see CF park their arrogance for a minute and learn from people that know how to train, it still bastardizes the principles of Westside. I have all the respect in the world for Louie, but he's really whoring himself out these days between the CF and Muscle Pharm endorsements.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys


  12. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    If you didn't care, then why did you bump this thread to state your opinion? CF has become purely a marketing tactic as the original foundations have been watered down by the exited and/or expelling of several of the key influences, not to mention the ridiculous amount of boxes that are now out there. It's kinda funny that you bring up a CSCS as one of the best pieces of information found within the text is the energy systems and their applications as it is something that CF grossly ignores. When their is a CF guy that breaks some world and/or federation records on any of the power and/or Olympic lifts, then let me know. Until then, it is and will remain an ambiguous, vague term that is thrown around without any real definition to it.
    My man, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The mainstream CF is not what I consider the "best of" in its incarnation. Sadly CF has thrown out a ton of very knowledgeable SME's in their field: Dan John, Rippetoe, Mark Twight to name a few. I use the methodologies in my own way and have found them extremely useful. I'm sure a lot of gyms have broken away from CF but still use the methods that they were taught and now fly an S&C banner under there name. I don't care for the direction it's headed, it spells trouble and dilution (although one could argue its very diluted). I have big issues with a ton of CF related information. However, In responding to this thread I simply wanted to let the OP know that doing a Crossfit program wisely one could add a very decent amount of size. It's certainly not the only avenue, probably not even the best one but the thread was about CF and its possibility to gain size.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

  13. Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

    Westside is not a cycle; it is a continuous method employed to increase the strength of the athlete. While it is nice to see CF park their arrogance for a minute and learn from people that know how to train, it still bastardizes the principles of Westside. I have all the respect in the world for Louie, but he's really whoring himself out these days between the CF and Muscle Pharm endorsements.
    And CF chose possibly the worst company to affiliate itself with in Reebok. I'd have preferred ****ing converse.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

  14. I'm still trying to find out WTF 'plandomization' means...

  15. Quote Originally Posted by napalm
    I'm still trying to find out WTF 'plandomization' means...
    Performance Menu article written by Greg Everett.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."

  16. crossfit does claim to have 10 things it does well, or at least tries to.

    1)endurance - i can see that
    2)stamina - hhmmm, sounds the same as number 1.
    3)strength - ok, i can see this in some aspect
    4)flexibility - maybe i just dont see the mobility work in the wods. it may be there. im sure they will get some benefit indirectly from the full ROM lifts.
    5)power - i can see this, but doesnt it sound a lot like strength to me
    6)speed - as they define it, "The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement." its like they teach going fast over doing something right.
    7)coordination - i thought perfect practice makes perfect. not crossfit horrendous form and injury prone movements makes perfect.
    8)agility - so rushing from one lift another to beat the clock is an aspect of fitness. at least its close to a dictionary definition
    9)balance - well we all know they are not talking about exercise balance. i guess learning to stand is a aspect of crossfit.
    10)accuracy - ability to control movement? wouldnt that fall under coordination and agility?

    i dont see size on here.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. Ph's and Crossfit
    By FAMOUSX1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 05:10 PM
  2. CROSSFIT
    By alwaysgaining in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 08:24 PM
  3. Crossfit and me
    By nycste in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-26-2009, 12:12 AM
  4. Crossfit
    By Highlanda01602 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 12-26-2008, 07:53 PM
  5. Crossfit?? Wtf
    By MEH89 in forum General Chat
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 09-29-2008, 01:24 AM
Log in
Log in