Crossfit for size?

Page 2 of 2 First 12
  1. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by thehulk0316 View Post
    We can agree to disagree, my man. I KNOW and have the effects of Crossfit + Westside on a "plandomization" cycle. To the OP, all I'm saying is it works and can be done with smart training. The issue is I have seen more **** CrossFit programs than good ones. But good ones are out there: The Outlaw Way, CF Invictus, Catalyst Athletics, BlackBox S&C, Optimum Performance Training, CF New England, CF Conquest...all those are good jumping points.
    Westside is not a cycle; it is a continuous method employed to increase the strength of the athlete. While it is nice to see CF park their arrogance for a minute and learn from people that know how to train, it still bastardizes the principles of Westside. I have all the respect in the world for Louie, but he's really whoring himself out these days between the CF and Muscle Pharm endorsements.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys

2. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

If you didn't care, then why did you bump this thread to state your opinion? CF has become purely a marketing tactic as the original foundations have been watered down by the exited and/or expelling of several of the key influences, not to mention the ridiculous amount of boxes that are now out there. It's kinda funny that you bring up a CSCS as one of the best pieces of information found within the text is the energy systems and their applications as it is something that CF grossly ignores. When their is a CF guy that breaks some world and/or federation records on any of the power and/or Olympic lifts, then let me know. Until then, it is and will remain an ambiguous, vague term that is thrown around without any real definition to it.
    My man, I agree with you wholeheartedly. The mainstream CF is not what I consider the "best of" in its incarnation. Sadly CF has thrown out a ton of very knowledgeable SME's in their field: Dan John, Rippetoe, Mark Twight to name a few. I use the methodologies in my own way and have found them extremely useful. I'm sure a lot of gyms have broken away from CF but still use the methods that they were taught and now fly an S&C banner under there name. I don't care for the direction it's headed, it spells trouble and dilution (although one could argue its very diluted). I have big issues with a ton of CF related information. However, In responding to this thread I simply wanted to let the OP know that doing a Crossfit program wisely one could add a very decent amount of size. It's certainly not the only avenue, probably not even the best one but the thread was about CF and its possibility to gain size.
    - Nick
    "If you look like food, you're gonna get eaten...Don't look like food."
  3. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja

Westside is not a cycle; it is a continuous method employed to increase the strength of the athlete. While it is nice to see CF park their arrogance for a minute and learn from people that know how to train, it still bastardizes the principles of Westside. I have all the respect in the world for Louie, but he's really whoring himself out these days between the CF and Muscle Pharm endorsements.
    And CF chose possibly the worst company to affiliate itself with in Reebok. I'd have preferred ****ing converse.
    - Nick
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'7"  202 lbs.
    Answers

I'm still trying to find out WTF 'plandomization' means...
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  190 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by napalm
    I'm still trying to find out WTF 'plandomization' means...
    Performance Menu article written by Greg Everett.
    - Nick
  6. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.
    Answers

crossfit does claim to have 10 things it does well, or at least tries to.

1)endurance - i can see that
    2)stamina - hhmmm, sounds the same as number 1.
    3)strength - ok, i can see this in some aspect
    4)flexibility - maybe i just dont see the mobility work in the wods. it may be there. im sure they will get some benefit indirectly from the full ROM lifts.
    5)power - i can see this, but doesnt it sound a lot like strength to me
    6)speed - as they define it, "The ability to minimize the time cycle of a repeated movement." its like they teach going fast over doing something right.
    7)coordination - i thought perfect practice makes perfect. not crossfit horrendous form and injury prone movements makes perfect.
    8)agility - so rushing from one lift another to beat the clock is an aspect of fitness. at least its close to a dictionary definition
    9)balance - well we all know they are not talking about exercise balance. i guess learning to stand is a aspect of crossfit.
    10)accuracy - ability to control movement? wouldnt that fall under coordination and agility?

i dont see size on here.
    you can call me "ozzie" for short.
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Ph's and Crossfit
    By FAMOUSX1 in forum Anabolics
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 04:10 PM
  2. CROSSFIT
    By alwaysgaining in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 11-20-2009, 07:24 PM