40 in 12-training

40 in 12

Awards
I am 6'2 165 lbs and im ripped....i want to put on around 35 lbs this year and hopefulyl hit 200 by this time next year...i just posted my diet in the nutrition..and YJ has suggested coming here for training help...anyone care to help?

i plan on doing a 4 or 5 day split

any suggestions please.....and will post by routine later wheni have more time

peace -40 in 12

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
i could say out a solid 4-5 day split for yall but you should be the one to lay out a program/trainging split to reach your goals. with that said, stick to the mass builders...adding in isolated movements sparingly (preferably, towards the end of your workouts). i use a 5 day split, keeping pull and push movements seperate, keeping volume of sets fairly high and reps between 5-8. quickly, here's an outline.

(1) legs (2) chest (3)back (4) off (5) arms (6) shoulder/trap (7)off
this is the current split i have with cardio and abs sprinkled in throughout...i always change it up...even every two workouts.

not sure how "educated" you are in the exercises thats most beneficial when your goal is to add size (which it sure sounds like when you say you want to add 35 lbs on) deadlift,squats,bench,push press,miliatarypress,clean&jerk...the usual suspects. use em with heavy weights, where you would fail between 6-10 reps. Again sticking to compound movements my friend. But mainly, training is a small part of obtaining a goal of added weight and size. Nutrition and a good lifestyle (rest) are the majority. Take it from me man, i went from 155, to 125 (ouch), now back up to 172 currently with approx 10-12 bf%. (5'9) there are a lot of dudes here that can answer any question regarding exercise and programs you can do too...

40 in 12

Awards
Sunday-legs
Mon- Chest
Tues- Back
Wed-Shoulders/Traps
Friday-Arms

LEGS
Squats -3sets/6-10reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 sets 6-8 reps
Lying Leg Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Leg Extension 3sets 10 reps

Chest
4 sets flat DB or BB bench
4 sets of inline DB bench
4 sets of incline flys

Back
barbell rows - 4 set - 6-12 reps
dumbell rows - 4 ses - 8-12 reps
pullups - till i get to 30 reps
Finish with Deadlifts 4 sets 6-8

Shoulders/Traps
Military Presses 5 x 6-8 reps
Front Raises 5x 8-10
Dumbell side laterals 5 sets 8-10 reps
heavy BB Shrugs 4x 10

Arms
Barbell Curls - 4 x 8-12
Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
Close-Grip press- 4 x 8-10
French press - 4 x 8-10

Critique..thx guys

Inzah Dude

Awards
I'm not an expert on bb routines but it looks good to be. But why do you have barbell rows and dumbell rows? I would probly take out the dumbell rows and do more wide grip pullups.

sage

sage

Awards
  • Established
Same layout as my current split as shown above. ill incorporate my thoughts in between your post.

LEGS
Squats -3sets/6-10reps
Stiff Leg Deadlift 3 sets 6-8 reps
Lying Leg Curl 3 sets 10 reps
Leg Extension 3sets 10 reps

*i would take out either the SLD or curls and replace the 3 sets with a heavier movement which work more than the hams, like a press or lunge. You be hitting hamstring pretty good with the squats and whatever 3 sets of SLD/leg curl you choose, and subbing a movement that uses more muscles group could only be beneficial. I would go (squats/leg press/SLD/ext with a possible set or two of calves and or walking lunges)*

Chest
4 sets flat DB or BB bench
4 sets of inline DB bench
4 sets of incline flys

*very standard workout here. but cut back the 4 sets of flys to 2, and add in 2-3 sets of dips, which stresses heck of a lot more muscles in your chest than a fly. but i wouldnt say take out the flys (incline is a good one, keep it a low incline 20-30) to give a burn at the end of the workout and define the outer regions with the stretch you get at the bottom. Im also in the minority on the # of sets for chest....i need to do 15-18. again, im in the minority i believe)*

Back
barbell rows - 4 set - 6-12 reps
dumbell rows - 4 ses - 8-12 reps
pullups - till i get to 30 reps
Finish with Deadlifts 4 sets 6-8

*I like this. Not much i would change cept to suggest to you to change it up often on. as ID mentioned, drop the sets of db rows and replace it with the better rowing movement like T-bar or even more exerices to hit your lats like underhand close grip lat pulldown. Also like your reps here*

Shoulders/Traps
Military Presses 5 x 6-8 reps
Front Raises 5x 8-10
Dumbell side laterals 5 sets 8-10 reps
heavy BB Shrugs 4x 10

*mmm..drop the front raises, especially 5 sets of em??!!?! (ha) you gonna be working them dead if you using weights where you fail at 6-8 with the military presses. I know shoulders, you can get away more with lateral movements than a heavier pressing movement but i would definetely put in more compound exerices while dropping the sets or in entirity the front and some of the side laterals. Put in upright rows, or some push presses, or behind the neck (not too low) presses, maybe some clean and press. Possibly take down the side laterals to 3 sets..front to 2 or none. and add in the compound ones*

Arms
Barbell Curls - 4 x 8-12
Hammer Curls - 4 x 8-12
Close-Grip press- 4 x 8-10
French press - 4 x 8-10

*again, good choices here using the STANDARD/BASIC exericises. only thing i would add is change it up as you go along. Keep the tricep routine as is throughout but instead of changing the exercise, change up the angles in which you work em'. (a decline skull is nasty!!) *

Lastly, the body parts you arent hitting directly are calves and forearms (neck too but who works em anyways :) ) Cardio and abs you sprinkle throughtou? Well, there's my thoughts Sage
Critique..thx guys