Supersets and Trisets

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
We know that supersets and trisets are a great way to get a large volume of work done in a short time, and that they're a great way to increase intensity in your workouts.

I'm wanting to know what some of your favorite supersets and trisets are. What have you learned through trial and error?

For example, when it comes to chest, I've found that supersets of incline flyes and cable crossovers work great for me. Or finishing with dumbbell pullovers for a killer triset! For back, I like doing seated cable rows followed by close-grip pulldowns. I love using supersets for opposing muscle groups too, such as working the biceps right after a triceps exercise. Shoulders are probably my favorite muscle group to superset: seated arnold presses followed by rear lateral raises give the entire shoulder girdle an awesome burn. Or a pressing movement followed by side lateral raises.

What are some good supersets and tirsets you've stumbled across?

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Best superset I've ever experienced:

Snatch-grip Deadlifts on a platform
superset with:
Push-presses or Jerks

Do it for 10sets of 3reps. Not a muscle that won't be hammered.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
squats/deads.

Sounds like a winner. I have never done that.

I normally do squats then go straight to deads(My partner is a vag and wont do squats, only deads)........Does that count? lol

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
lol. squats then deads is real similar. nasty. especially when you do squats ATG then try deads - your glutes will hate you.

my latest favorite superset is smith machine upright rows and wide grip pullovers.

as far as trisets, i will sadly admit the most damaging one i've tried was when i was doing total body workouts. i did trisets for one week, and just couldn't hang. 4 sets, 10 reps, 15 minutes. it was :

military press
bench
chin ups

then moved to triset number two :

deads
squats
clean and press

16 minutes.

total, 31 minutes.

triset 2, i determined, was in fact the devil. i wanted to die. in fact, after my workout, my pulse was 160 with no cardio. had to sit down for maybe 15 minutes to catch my breath. evil. do NOT try triset 2. ever.

Kristofer68SS

Kristofer68SS

Awards
  • Established
lol. squats then deads is real similar. nasty. especially when you do squats ATG then try deads - your glutes will hate you.

my latest favorite superset is smith machine upright rows and wide grip pullovers.

as far as trisets, i will sadly admit the most damaging one i've tried was when i was doing total body workouts. i did trisets for one week, and just couldn't hang. 4 sets, 10 reps, 15 minutes. it was :

military press
bench
chin ups

then moved to triset number two :

deads
squats
clean and press

20 minutes.

total, 35 minutes.

triset 2, i determined, was in fact the devil. i wanted to die. in fact, after my workout, my pulse was 160 with no cardio. had to sit down for maybe 15 minutes to catch my breath. evil. do NOT try triset 2. ever.
ATG is the only way,,,,,,my legs are torched after the deads.

Triset 2 is the devil. I can get almost to puking or passing out with squats or deads. I can just imagine all 3 of those bastages.

I'm a sick bastard when it comes to legs, but that Triset 2 is out there.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
ATG is the only way,,,,,,my legs are torched after the deads.

Triset 2 is the devil. I can get almost to puking or passing out with squats or deads. I can just imagine all 3 of those bastages.

I'm a sick bastard when it comes to legs, but that Triset 2 is out there.
the bottom part of the clean and press is the ultimate in leg torture. absolutely stinks. never again. well, maybe this summer.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Did this shoulders triset today after a heavy routine:

side lateral raises x 10
front raises x 10
bent rear laterals x 10

Talk about feeling a burn!

fmartin685

fmartin685

Awards
When I use super or tri-sets, I like to do an isolation followed by a compound. For example, chest would be:

Flys
flat bench
incline bench

with no rest. I like the fact that I pre-exhaust my chest muscles, then they give out on the bench even though my triceps still feel strong.
Shoulders:

Lateral raises
military press
upright rows