Really worried about this......

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
OK, so a couple weeks ago I am doing legs raises and was pissed off and pushed for more reps than I have ever done.....then felt a sharp pain in the inguinal area after this. I continued working out for the rest of the week and there was some residual pain, but not too bad.

Then the next week, my week off, I sprinted from a dead stop as hard as I could (running away from security because I was banging some girl on the Harvard Med. lawn lol). And the pain was back and worse than ever. This was at the beginning of the week so the pain subsided throughout the rest of the week.

My 3rd day back at lifting I pushed real hard to get 1 more rep out of DB Bench and I felt a tingle and pain in the inguinal area again. So....I said it's about time I go see a doc about this.

I went to see the doc and he proded my sack and made me cough for about 5 mins and said he couldn't feel a hernia. He thinks I maybe "tore something in there". He recommended I take 1-2 weeks off to let it "scar over". He called it an inguinal strain. He said if the pain gets worse to call him up and i'd get an appointment with the surgical dept.

So....I didn't take 1-2 weeks off (the appt. was 3 days ago). I kept lifting and the pain hasn't been bad like those acute episodes, but it feels like there is pressure and it doesn't feel right. I can't seem to feel any palpable lump either. I stay away from ab work because that really make it feel uncomfortable. Really not sure what to do though. I takes weekends off, so I'm waiting to see how I feel on Monday. I am also not going balls to the wall like I usually do either. I'm just really worried and don't know what to do. I really don't want to lose everything I've gained due to an inguinal hernia repair...if that's what I have.

crazilyfter42

Awards
I would listen to the doc and take some time off. If you keep pushing it than its not going to heal. I just don't see why you would go see a doctor and not take his advice?

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established

The reason is pretty much that I have been experiencing the best gains ever in my almost 4 years of lifting. I have also searched some threads of people not actually having a hernia and taking it easy for a week or two and it goes away (no abs, deads, squats). I am just skeptical that is isn't a hernia, I think it is. Also, I just took a week off and it helped, but the pain still came back after a balls to wall set. I am just scared that I'll take 1-2 weeks off, lose strength and mass....and still have the pain, meaning I took 2 weeks off, when I could have been lifting. Maybe I am just young and dumb...I don't know. Anyone ever actually have an "inguinal strain"?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I don't think you have much of a choice, buddy. If you're still feeling pain then you're going to have to continue resting, or go seek further medical attention. And by rest, I mean rest. Some people think rest means taking it a little easier for a while, when it should mean to completely lay off.

I know it sucks, but if you don't rest, and hurt yourself again, you'll be in a much worse place. So, anything you do that aggravates that area to any degree, stop doing it until it heals up. If you've rested for a longer time than you think you should have, go see another medical professional.

You might want to ask a physical therapist their opinion, after they've done an assessment. I used to work at a hospital, and when it comes to athletic injuries, I'd much rather ask a PT than a MD. PTs specialize in such cases.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
update

So I have been taking it easier and not doing the exercises that really irritate the area. Honestly, anything in the prone position gives discomfort (feeling of soreness/pressure). So folding laundry, sitting at my computer, or picking up stuff irritates it.There is no longer and sharp pain/ball pain. It feels like a lower abdominal cramp all the time. A dull ache. I have paid close attention to breathing in the gym, as to not put excess pressure on the lower ab wall. It has not gotten worse, but not much better either. I have 2moro off, then two days at the gym, then the weekend. If it doesnt improve after the weekend, I'm taking 2 weeks off.

FlawedGrunt

FlawedGrunt

Awards
  • Established
Bro i would have to agree with the others... you may be making great gains but a few weeks off isnt going to stop that... take the time off and get better so you can make gains rather than only hurt yourself which will make it so it takes even longer to make ANY gains

According to the title of this thread you are pretty nervous/worried about the whole thing... you saw a trained professional... take his advice and we'll be awaiting youre return!

GET WELL SOON BRO!

RyanOFelt

Awards
I don't think you have much of a choice, buddy. If you're still feeling pain then you're going to have to continue resting, or go seek further medical attention. And by rest, I mean rest. Some people think rest means taking it a little easier for a while, when it should mean to completely lay off.

I know it sucks, but if you don't rest, and hurt yourself again, you'll be in a much worse place. So, anything you do that aggravates that area to any degree, stop doing it until it heals up. If you've rested for a longer time than you think you should have, go see another medical professional.

You might want to ask a physical therapist their opinion, after they've done an assessment. I used to work at a hospital, and when it comes to athletic injuries, I'd much rather ask a PT than a MD. PTs specialize in such cases.
I agree. Im my experience with a few injuries, the doctor is generally not the most knowledgeable on the subject. I would get a second opinion.
Regardless of what it is though, it's never going to go away unless you stay away from workout's that aggravate it, even a little bit.

And did you really bang a girl on the Harvard lawn? Major props.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
thanks

Thanks for the input guys. I'm going to take a couple weeks off and hope it improves. And yes I did bang a girl on the Harvard lawn, but I guess I'm paying for it now lol.

Last edited:
srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
week

Finished up my week of workouts and have made some observations. I can work out (no squats, deads or hamstring curls) and it doesn't really aggrevate the injury. I even had a couple pain free days this week. BUT during the weekend (off) I got pain again. What causes the pain is bending over, not really forcing in the gym. I mean picking up somethin off the floor or putting on my shoes hurts more than a hard workout in the gym. This really pisses me off!

I was thinking about taking the next 2 weeks off BUT I still have to do daily activities, which are the things that actually hurt. So how can I win???? If I take 2 weeks off, I'll still be aggrevating the injury by simply living and come back weaker...and for what?...I'll still be where I started. I wish this could just be a legit hernia so I could get operated and get back to business.

I'm still on the fench about taking the next 2 weeks off. And if I do and there is no improvement I seriously think I'm going to just hit it as hard as the pain will let me when I get back in the gym. I'll go till something gives and then maybe I can actually get it fixed lol.

I'm just really frustrated. I had everything dialed in before this and now my diet it wack because I don't really know how much to eat, while not working out as usually and not doing the big compound moves. I'm just really unsure still............whether I go to the gym 2moro or take the 2 weeks of will be the decider I guess.

I wish someone that has a "sports" hernia could chime in.

Last edited:

nocturna1

Awards
Bro, I had same problem. It hapend in November 2008, and I m still off. I had pain on right inguinal area only. It takes a few months (not weeks), to be OK,my doc say. You can as I did try at some period 2-3 weeks to do few abs. If it still pains, take more rest, 2-3 weeks. I tryed last week,and it still pains, not a lot as in the past. It is the only way, and try to put ice on the pain area 20-30min 3 times a day,also it helps. I think it is beter to take rest,then have hernia.
I hope that I helped you.
c

nocturna1

Awards
by the way,
take a lot of protein a day while you rest and take
1000mg vitamine C 3 times a day
400 IU vitamine E daily
30 mg Zink
I use that
and rest,rest,rest

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Any updates? did you go back to the doctors?

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
updates

I know I hate when people don't update....sorry about that guys.

I just pretty much pushed through and avoided exercises that aggrivated the injury. I still felt a good deal of pain and discomfort the whole time. I also adapted good breathing techniques.....by necessity. If I didnt breath right, I could almost feel it rip.

It slowly diminished to a dull pain that I have now. It's always there, but not anywhere as bad as before. I give it a 10 before and probably a 3 now.

Having other injuries....Patello Femoral Syndrone, etc helps sometimes because when one acts up you can't feel the other.

In conclusion, It is not totally healed, not sure if it ever will. But it is def. bareable, before it was so bad I couldnt wait for a surgery...which i never got.