lifts to avoid

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
i was told to stay away from shoulder presses and uprights. they do more damage than good. any other lifts i should avoid...thanks

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
shoulder presses shouldnt be avoided, just dont bring below 90 degrees. behind-the-back shoulder/lat work should be avoided, as these exercises put the shoulder in a precarious situation. and uprights. . .upright rows? i dont believe that they do more damage than good:think:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
every exercise is fine so long as you do it properly and have the proper mobility.

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
If a lift does more damage than good, it's because you're doing it wrong. Military press is a fantastic movement and so are upright rows.

Sounds like someone who believes "squatting is bad for the knees" has been getting to ya!

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
If a lift does more damage than good, it's because you're doing it wrong. Military press is a fantastic movement and so are upright rows.

Sounds like someone who believes "squatting is bad for the knees" has been getting to ya!
ummm, just fyi, squating is bad for the knees. . . . . . . . doesnt mean that i dont do them tho

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Nope, sorry, squats aren't bad for the knees unless done improperly. Studies on olympic lifters and powerlifters haven't shown any increase in knee damage among those populations, even though they may load up the bar with several time their body weight on a regular basis.

It's actually movements like smith-machine squats or leg extensions that may be associated with knee damage, as they impede natural course of motion for the leg and force a specific, unnatural pattern.

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
Nope, sorry, squats aren't bad for the knees unless done improperly. Studies on olympic lifters and powerlifters haven't shown any increase in knee damage among those populations, even though they may load up the bar with several time their body weight on a regular basis.

It's actually movements like smith-machine squats or leg extensions that may be associated with knee damage, as they impede natural course of motion for the leg and force a specific, unnatural pattern.
Good post, bro.

Your knees natural course of motion is squatting, so stating that the exercise is bad for your knees is mostly thought because of poor form, which resulted in knee damage/injury.

Actually, ATG squats have been show to have positive results with biomechanical function of the knee, surpassing 90-degree or parallel squats.

Just some thoughts.

Dangerous exrcises when done improperly:

Narrow-grip upright rows
Behind head pulldown/press (both these are stressful on the susprinatus, major RC muscle).
Leg extensions (knees)

KM

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
http://www.usapowerlifting.com/newsletter/11/coaching/coaching.html

my bad, i figured i would post this. found it on my travels digging up the truth about squatting. haha. but yeah, i have had at least two of my professors say that squats were bad for your knees. i actually brought it up in class one time because i thought, and had heard, that squats were fine and were a completely natural movement. I was just operating under the assumption that my university professors, with their doctorates and years of experience, would be right. go figure

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It is truly unfortunate the way incorrect knowledge can bepassed along like that. And they were probably otherwise darn good professors, right?

Anyways, reps for doing research and figuring it out.

PowerlifterMB

PowerlifterMB

Awards
Doing should presses behind the head is harmful to the rotator cuffs. Push presses put excess strain on the back because it haws to stabilize a big load in a somewhat unnatural way.

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
Kickbacks.

Useless, and goofy. 'Nuff said.
F' that. love them for separation. Once again if done right and focused on proper muscle, all exercises are safe and effective.

Logically squats are bad cause the weight/stress that CAN be loaded on the knees if improperly done like stated above. ATG mid to wide foot range FTW!

ohiostate2827

ohiostate2827

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
well i guess then ill keep doing my shoulder presses then. i would hate to stop since i make such great gains..i was told dips also were bad cause of the stress put on the shoulders and upper chest..im 29yrs and have been lifting since i was 14 and havent ever had any probs with any exercise..

MentalTwitch

MentalTwitch

Awards
  • Established
well i guess then ill keep doing my shoulder presses then. i would hate to stop since i make such great gains..i was told dips also were bad cause of the stress put on the shoulders and upper chest..im 29yrs and have been lifting since i was 14 and havent ever had any probs with any exercise..
dips can be bad but like above. The right way they are fine. Angle your body right and dont go to deep.

EDIT: if you re-read the last part youll LOL....

ABNRanger

ABNRanger

Awards
  • Established
So, is it safe to say that it is one's best interest to avoid leg presses? Or, is there an actual safe way to do the presses without messing up your knees? What about hack squat?

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Kickbacks.

Useless, and goofy. 'Nuff said.
I guess to each his own, because I've gotten some good results from dumbbell kickbacks. They're great if you're really strict, making the triceps do all of the work. However, I still say close-grip bench and extensions are the best triceps specific exercises.