question about back soreness??

sepheus61

Awards
i have a question...

how sore do most you guys feel after a good back day with deadlifts...is you lower back a little sore along with the rest?? is it really sore??

i am just wondering because i just started dooing deadlifts and i did a back workout yesterday and today my upper back is sore but my lower back is so sore it feels like a board is in it sometimes it is so stiff??

is that a sign that my form is bad or is it just that i am really sore??

thanks

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you might want to have someone that really knows how to deadlift watch your form.. You MIGHT be rounding your back.. I know if I didn't use correct form I would hurt really bad in the lower back but this was before my back has gotten so bad...

NE1

Mine is always sore as hell. using an alternating grip seems to make it worse for me. Also, switched to rack deads and im loving them...

msclbldrguy

Awards
  • Established
i agree with mattd....i'd get someone to check my form because you wanna make sure you dont round your back. not sure how heavy you're goin but if you are rounding your back you might wanna drop your weight a bit and get your motion down correctly.

once i learned proper form, my lower back feels tight after i workout and does get a little sore, but never like you're describing.

also as ne1 said, i too have trouble with the alternate grip. i hold the bar with both hands overhand grip.

good luck

sepheus61

Awards
i might have been a little exageratory...but my back seems to get really stiff when i sit for a long period of time...like when i am in class...

i will definetly have someone watch me for my form though...i am in
a powerilfting club at school so i will have one of the big deadlfting guys watch me..

thanks guys

Shmoo

Awards
Your sore cause you just started doing deadlifts. If I havn`t done deadlifts for some time, I`m going to be fairly sore for a few days after but after a few weeks the soreness will be alot less noticable.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Sounds like you might want to have someone that really knows how to deadlift watch your form.. You MIGHT be rounding your back.. I know if I didn't use correct form I would hurt really bad in the lower back but this was before my back has gotten so bad...
honestly though dude some people just arent built for deadlifts or squats.. they cant help but round their backs.. my back rounds when i bend over.. a well built guy or one of those guys naturally built stocky and like a bulldog doesnt round their backs..

Matthew D

Awards
  • Established
there are different ways of deadlifting, and it would be very hard to round you back doing sumo style.. which is what I do because it takes some of the pressure off the lower back.. And yes I do realise that there are some that can't get the right forum but he will never know unless he gets someone that know to watch him..