Rest paused routines

dingling

Awards
I thought I'd go ahead and try the Dogcrap style of training, doing rest rest paused sets. Currently I'm doing 2 days on/one day off. The split is chest, shoulders, tris, back/Bis, hams, quads, calves, hams. My question is, how long does it take you guys to get through w/ one session? I dont stay in the gym longer that 30-35 minutes doing this routine. Is this normal? Any advice welcome.

maraxus

Awards
I started doing the same routine about 3 weeks ago. I am going to try it for 6 months and see how my strength and size gains go.The routine makes sense. I'm in the gym for about 35-40 minutes each work out. I normally was in there for an hour. Its quicker but it beats the hell out of you.

Jcc

Awards
  • Established
A little under an hour for me. I had to axe the rest pausing because I wasn't able to recover certain muscles by the next time to work them again. :(

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
I'm trying it right now as well. It takes me about 40-45 minutes with the stretching included..sometimes longer if I'm feeling masochistic and want to stretch harder.

I'm finding the rest pauses are a bit much for a person of my recovery ability and I'm not even doing the three day split. I'm now under the impression that they are best left to times when cycling PHs, at least for me. I bet they'd be great for a cycle of IGF.

Tahq

Awards
I've been doing a rest pause type stlye since the beggining of the year minus the extended negatives and the static finish, as it seems to work well for my recovery. I work out at home and generally run about 45-50 minutes per session.

I have had good strength/size results and like the way the routine is broken out. I knocked out the equivalent of a 400lbs max lift on the bench last week (315lbs for 9 on the first rest pause lift and 15 for the set.) which isn't huge compared to many here, but at 6'5" its a big throw and I'm pretty damn happy. DC knows his stuff!

iron addict

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some people can do all sets rest-paused without probs, and others do much better making it a 50-50, or at most 75% rest-paused to straight sets to failure ratio.

Iron Addict

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Some people can do all sets rest-paused without probs, and others do much better making it a 50-50, or at most 75% rest-paused to straight sets to failure ratio.

Iron Addict

That's pretty much what I've started doing. I really like the technique but my recovery ability is not up to a 100% rest pause/ slow negatives type of routine.

I do most of my compound lifts rest paused (except squats-ack) and leave isolation types to failure. I like it.

Ceaze

Awards
I handle rest pause sets well. CT's article here has some other insightful variations