Poll: How do you train them?

Abs!!!

1. Abs!!!

2. i dont. . . . .unless you consider all the big compound lifts to be ab/core exercises. . . . . . then in that case i do

3. I work on the contraction with some weight, all about the form and dedication.
    •   

4. Like so many people I used to think you had to do hundreds of sit ups and such to get good abs that is until I realized it is just another muscle in your body.

I now do weighted exercise 2x a week. Lower reps and adding weight seems to have unlocked growing abs for me. Not to mention that when you go from doing weighted ones to non weighted you feel like super man haha.

5. rarely use weight, i do as many crunches i can when i get a chance.

6. I voted high reps, because I train for functionality and scores.

7. If you're doing everything else you should be doing, there's no need to work out your abs IMO

8. I do a little bit of weighted abs on Full Body Circuit days, then again there is a lot of squats, push presses, weighted jump lunges....and all sorts of hellish things thrown in the mix that make me want to

~GX

9. I do a few sets of abs during every workout (M-T-TH-F) M-F I do no weight higher reps, and T-TH I do weighted sets of 10 to failure. I just recently changes the T-TH to the heavy weights and I have been noticing a change.

10. I for the most part don't train abs, but when i do, i hit them like any other muscle, HEAVY.

11. Quote Originally Posted by striking View Post
    Like so many people I used to think you had to do hundreds of sit ups and such to get good abs that is until I realized it is just another muscle in your body.

I now do weighted exercise 2x a week. Lower reps and adding weight seems to have unlocked growing abs for me. Not to mention that when you go from doing weighted ones to non weighted you feel like super man haha.
    nailed it. Its another muscle, if you want it to grow bigger and deeper use weights, if you want to create endurance and shape them use low to no weight and higher reps. It is also a big misconception you can work them everyday, not needed. You can work them more than other muscle groups but you can still overtrain them.

12. It varies for me. I use quite a bit of bodyweight ab exercises with higher reps.

Maybe one day a month I'll use heavy weight and lower reps!

13. Quote Originally Posted by KLaw666 View Post
    i dont. . . . .unless you consider all the big compound lifts to be ab/core exercises. . . . . . then in that case i do
    Ditto. Diet = abs
    ForeRunner Labs
    The Future of Human Performance
    Please LIKE FRL on Facebook

14. I like to hit them like any other muscle: Hard and without mercy. I usually do them twice a week in the morning before cardio. 15 minutes and I vary between heavy weights and high reps. Works wonders for me.

Oh and, diet is the real key no doubt. You can crunch all day long but you gotta eat right.

15. that depends on if your talking creating a strong natural belt or just going for the cosmetics?

because there are a ton of string beans walking around with a 6 pack...
    ---The internet is the father of the electronic lynch-mob---

16. I throw them in with my cardio on tues and thurs, sometimes. I find my abs get work from heavy squats and deads!!
    Think training's hard,. try losing!

17. lately Ive been doing abs everyday, slowly, only BW, really focusing on the burn...
  18. dpfisher

I just hold a 35 behind my neck and do reps until failure 3-4 sets

35 because it's the biggest solid 1-piece DB I have (walmart special lol) and the regular ones are too hard to hold onto behind the neck

19. I have always done a mix of heavy weight and high reps. Recently started trying out the Ab Ripper X from the P90X program,,,,,Holy s**t,,,,it hurts..LOL....about 16 minutes with 11 moves all 25 reps, with only body weight

20. i dont,... deads and squats do em' in fine for me,.. plus i aint cutting any time soon,... i like my rounded 4 pack

21. I don't train them directly... squats and other stabilizing exercises seem to do the job well.

22. oh yes, my 4-pack is looking nice now-a-days

23. weighted for me on thursdays, then saturdays I do weighted rotations and leg lifts with a 10lb db to hit the obliques and lowers

24. I deadlift and squat heavy. I also do cable crunches.

25. Quote Originally Posted by hardknock View Post
    that depends on if your talking creating a strong natural belt or just going for the cosmetics?

because there are a ton of string beans walking around with a 6 pack...
    too fkn true.... Personally I'd rather carry a little lard and a whole lot of muscle than look like that...

..and I get enough from heavy compound work - if your form is tight then you're working them

26. Can I vote for all the above? I mix it up day to day.

27. I used to do about a hundred, maybe a little more, on a decline bench whenever I did abs. Now I have started doing weighted exercises - standing with arms fixed using the lat pull-down machine, or a few sets on one of those big inflated balls with a medicine ball held over my head until I can't do any more, and then a few more with the same ball on my chest.

I heard that if you really want your abs to stand out, you need to grow them with weighted exercises. I'm going to do this for a month or two instead of what I used to do and see what happens.

28. Quote Originally Posted by KLaw666 View Post
    i dont. . . . .unless you consider all the big compound lifts to be ab/core exercises. . . . . . then in that case i do
    Same, mine are typically always visible.

29. I train mine weighted with high reps til failure each set!!!

30. Quote Originally Posted by XBB View Post
    I train mine weighted with high reps til failure each set!!!
    how often?