Does light lifting aid healing?

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
So I've pulled a rotator, and can't bench. Would light benching aid in recovery, or not?

Thanks for any input.

poopypants

poopypants

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would think more light rotator exercises would be what would help, specially rear delt exercises as this seems to help me with my weak left socket at keeping the joint in place....

IMO any bench exercises will just put pressure to push it out and will be detrimental to the healing process as it really wont help the muscles that hold your rotator, just push against them. Id hold off till your nearly fully recovered then ease back into it.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
That's actually what I've been doing, and it's SLOWLY healing. Problem actually is my job, it's hours of heavyish lifting, and my shoulder doesn't get a break.

Thanks for the feedback.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
So I've pulled a rotator, and can't bench. Would light benching aid in recovery, or not?

Thanks for any input.
Rest is your best friend in this situation. You don't want to do anything to agitate the injury. Proper training can help with injury prevention, but once an injury as occurred, rest is what you need. I'd refrain from any strenuous lifting until you didn't feel pain in the affected area anymore. You might re-inure yourself if you're not careful enough. Hope everything works out for you.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Rest is your best friend in this situation. You don't want to do anything to agitate the injury. Proper training can help with injury prevention, but once an injury as occurred, rest is what you need. I'd refrain from any strenuous lifting until you didn't feel pain in the affected area anymore. You might re-inure yourself if you're not careful enough. Hope everything works out for you.

Thanks. Rest is what I'm trying to do, but like I said work is what's screwing my recovery. Started taking some SuperCissusRx today to help with the slight tendonitis in my shoulders that work has given me, too.:aargh:

Not lifting sucks.

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
do you have insurance? can you have the doc write you up for short term leave from work, and the insurance cna cover you. I have short and long term coverage.....

KLaw666

KLaw666

Awards
i wouldnt bench, but some light inside/outside rotations and some cans would aid in recovery. just make sure that you feel comfortable doing them, if it hurts then stop!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
if it causes no pain to the injury yes. example yesterday I did 5 lbs reverse cable curls and no pain once I got to 10 lbs pain. ill keep doing 5 lbs for now. then try the next step . which is progressing to 10 lbs with no pain

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
If pain during is nonexistent (and I mean nonexistent) and pain afterward is slim to none, it may be a decent idea. But I don't think the bench press is a good "rehab" exercise. It's not like you have a "bench press muscle" that needs healing...benching too often and not rowing often enough is probably what made the injury in the first place, so I don't think benching more is the solution

Here are three articles. The first is about training while injured, the second is about nutrition and rest while injured, and the third is a better way (IMO) to probably maintain your upper body pressing muscles than benching while injured...have fun reading, they're all good articles. Pick and choose what to use.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/creating_a_training_effect_when_youre_injured

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1728164

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/exercise_of_the_week_the_iso_pushup

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
I just think that, in the long run, it's better to rest and completely recover before you get back into your lifting. It sucks not to be able to lift, and you might lose some size and strength (which shouldn't take too long to recover), but that is much better than being injured for a longer duration of time than you have to (which could happen if you aggravate your injury).

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
If pain during is nonexistent (and I mean nonexistent) and pain afterward is slim to none, it may be a decent idea. But I don't think the bench press is a good "rehab" exercise. It's not like you have a "bench press muscle" that needs healing...benching too often and not rowing often enough is probably what made the injury in the first place, so I don't think benching more is the solution

Here are three articles. The first is about training while injured, the second is about nutrition and rest while injured, and the third is a better way (IMO) to probably maintain your upper body pressing muscles than benching while injured...have fun reading, they're all good articles. Pick and choose what to use.

http://www.t-nation.com/article/most_recent/creating_a_training_effect_when_youre_injured

http://www.t-nation.com/readArticle.do?id=1728164

http://www.t-nation.com/free_online_article/sports_body_training_performance_bodybuilding/exercise_of_the_week_the_iso_pushup
The rotator had been injured before at work. As far as the rowing thing, I alternate sets between pushing and pulling to keep myself balanced. i just re-injured it by benching.

Good links, those. I used to be active on t-nation, but the bull**** just got too deep. I just read the articles sometimes now.

Thanks everyone!

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
I just think that, in the long run, it's better to rest and completely recover before you get back into your lifting. It sucks not to be able to lift, and you might lose some size and strength (which shouldn't take too long to recover), but that is much better than being injured for a longer duration of time than you have to (which could happen if you aggravate your injury).
This is actually the route that I've decided on. I'm doing some light(I mean LIGHT) rotations to test things out once a week or so, but other than that, I'm not lifting. Except for at work, but I can't control that too much.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
The rotator had been injured before at work. As far as the rowing thing, I alternate sets between pushing and pulling to keep myself balanced. i just re-injured it by benching.

Good links, those. I used to be active on t-nation, but the bull**** just got too deep. I just read the articles sometimes now.

Thanks everyone!
Yeah, I left because the forums there are fcuked. They are totally argumentative pissing contests most of the time, IMO.

After I left I also figured out that Biotest isn't the greatest supplement company, either. Sure, what they make as far as protein powders works...it's just overpriced as hell and there's better stuff out there.

bound

bound

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I left because the forums there are fcuked. They are totally argumentative pissing contests most of the time, IMO.

After I left I also figured out that Biotest isn't the greatest supplement company, either. Sure, what they make as far as protein powders works...it's just overpriced as hell and there's better stuff out there.
I really like the time release BA, but other than that, they just aren't anything special.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to conwict again.

conwict

conwict

Awards
  • Established
I really like the time release BA, but other than that, they just aren't anything special.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to conwict again.

What really gets on my nerves is the way their supplements are made in "limited runs" so you have to "buy now"...marketing BS...what's especially funny is the way they actually say "We haven't made enough of this for everyone, so if you don't buy now, you'll miss out."

A company that makes less than they know they can sell...yeah, right...