Upright Rows

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
How do you do yours? Where do you grip? Any tips you can give me after doing them yourself?

I'm doing them currently, but I'm not so sure I'm doing them right as I always feel pumped on my biceps afterwards. Lol

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
I use an Olympic bar and grip just inside of the knurled part of the bar...so I'm gripping on the outer most portion of the smooth middle section (make sense?). I bring the bar straight up my body to about nipple level and then bring it back down...I love this exercise...:)

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
i stand shoulder width apart, then move my hand about an inch on each side outwards of that and grip there. so on the bars that i use, about half of an inch past where the smooth and rough portion meet.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I've been gripging where my hands naturally fall, i will try moving them in more next time.

Joshua86

Awards
  • Established
Try starting out with a light weight and alternating your grip to find the fullest, most comfortable range of motion. If your biceps are really pumped afterward, you're probably pulling with them too much. Try imagining your hands as hooks, and your shoulder girdle pulling the weight upward.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I do them in a smith machine. I found that to be my favorite way of doing them. Usually right after military press (push/pull method is a key in my workouts). When grip is wider u focus more on deltoids, and when grip is narrow it targets traps and upper back. I like a more narrow grip , as there are plenty of other ways to hit delts. Remember that u benefit as much controlling the weight going down as u do pulling it up. It should be done slowly, and weight should not be too heavy where form becomes sh*tty.

Tripleexe

Tripleexe

Awards
I use Lat raise to hit delts and then Upright rows afterwards to hit my traps. I hold the bar with thumbs facing inwards with a gap of an inch between them, this narrow grip hits the traps nicely. Then I pull the bar all the way up to the neck.

edwards

edwards

Awards
  • Established
:goodpost:

I did a few sets the other day and gave up because I didn't feel a thing in my traps. I'll try it again.

glg

glg

Awards
  • Established
be careful of rotator issues. these will aggravate any impingements that you may have.

JpB

Awards
grip width with upright rows is very important. Too wide or too narrow and you are asking for an injury. Start with light weight to find the right width for your body.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i keep grip where my hands would fall if my arms were relaxed at my side, so a moderate grip i guess you could say. Close grip hits my bis and traps more and wider hits delts. Keep elbows up. I like to go up to my chin but its not important to do so just get it up. Good things were mention on this excercise causing injury esp if you already have shoulder/rotator problems i would stay away.

Emerge

Emerge

Awards
  • Established
I do them in a smith machine. I found that to be my favorite way of doing them. Usually right after military press (push/pull method is a key in my workouts). When grip is wider u focus more on deltoids, and when grip is narrow it targets traps and upper back. I like a more narrow grip , as there are plenty of other ways to hit delts. Remember that u benefit as much controlling the weight going down as u do pulling it up. It should be done slowly, and weight should not be too heavy where form becomes sh*tty.
Exactly how wide do you go? I think I will try them wide instead of narrow, because they way I'm using them I want to target my delts. I have very very very weak looking delts and my chest eclipses them so I want to build them up this winter.

I've also been doing them on the smith machine as well, I use the smith for a lot of different exercises. I'll try lowering the weight as well to perform slower reps.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Exactly how wide do you go? I think I will try them wide instead of narrow, because they way I'm using them I want to target my delts. I have very very very weak looking delts and my chest eclipses them so I want to build them up this winter.

I've also been doing them on the smith machine as well, I use the smith for a lot of different exercises. I'll try lowering the weight as well to perform slower reps.
I do them close enough so there would be one hand space between my hands.... So closer than shoulder with basically. I find that to be best for me.

The smith is fukcing great IMO. It allows me to go heavy on things without worry of killing myself.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
be careful of rotator issues. these will aggravate any impingements that you may have.
wasnt this one of the top worst exercises for awkward body mechanics??

skull

skull

Awards
  • Established
try an ez curl bar ,shoulderwidth apart--straight bar kills wrists and elbows

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
i like the straight bar personally but maybe ill try an ezcurl bar again. Depends, what feels comfortable for you.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
according to what?
things Ive read over the years, thats why I asked the question, since I cant remember the original sources, but I did a quick google and found a few right off the bat, I snipped some info from them:

snip 1:potentially Unsafe Exercises continued...
Upright row. Pulling weights, a barbell, or a weighted cabled bar up under your chin is a big no-no, says Saremi, a podiatrist and editorial staff member of the Aerobic and Fitness Association of America's American Fitness magazine. "When people pull their hands (carrying the weight) up to their chin, they are going to compress the nerves in the shoulder area, impinging the shoulder," Saremi says

snip2:Whereas this popular exercise is meant to work the deltoids and trapezius, in reality it is murder on your shoulders. It is performed by holding a loaded barbell or dumbbells at your waist with a close-hand grip and pulling the weight up, leading with the elbows, to just below the chin. In this position, the arms are bent at the elbow and then internally rotated, an action not usually harmful. Add resistance, though, and every time you raise the weights, the tendons in the shoulder become impinged -- or pinched -- by bones in the shoulder joint. That's going to hurt: Maybe not now, but somewhere down the line, tendon damage is almost a given.

snip3: Dips/Upright Row – the key mistake made with these exercises is allowing the shoulder to move beyond 90 degrees relative to a position parallel to the floor or perpendicular to the body. I always recommend stopping at 90 degrees to protect
the shoulder capsule and the rotator cuff.

links:

http://ezinearticles.com/?Dangerous-Shoulder-Exercises&id=44381

http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/features/9-least-effective-exercises?page=2

http://www.planetout.com/fitness/article.html?sernum=3315&navpath=/topics/fitness/workout/

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Good point, I always stop at 90 degrees to the floor, which puts me right about nipple height.

That said, I've been doing these for years and I think they're one of the best shoulder/trap exercises there are. Smith machine or free, keep your form steady and the burn is second to none.

RoadBlocK

RoadBlocK

Awards
  • Established
Good point, I always stop at 90 degrees to the floor, which puts me right about nipple height.

That said, I've been doing these for years and I think they're one of the best shoulder/trap exercises there are. Smith machine or free, keep your form steady and the burn is second to none.

Thats cool, seems like you know what you are doing, but most dont. I was asking the question because I read it a couple of times over the years. I dont do them anymore, nor do I do any behind the neck press, in the old days I was hitting 275 for reps, but I will say this, since I started training again about 3 years ago, I have purposely stopped/eliminated these exercise and my shoulder feels better than when I was younger.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote

Storm do you mean you don't dip past your nipples in relation to the dip bar, while doing dips? is this chest dips(gorinda dips) or tricep dips ? i use both.

stormecho

stormecho

Awards
Storm do you mean you don't dip past your nipples in relation to the dip bar, while doing dips? is this chest dips(gorinda dips) or tricep dips ? i use both.
Oh, with dips I bring my upper arm just a bit above parallel with the dip bar that I'm holding, if that makes sense. I'm nursing an old shoulder injury and surgery.

And Roadblock, yeah, I don't even mess with behind the neck military press. There are a few exercises I just can't do no matter what the weight, and that's one of them. I find exercises that don't hurt in a bad way, and I beat the hell out of those. Upright rows just happen to be one of them.

tattoopierced1

i always make sure that my elbows go in a straight line up and down when doing these, again, using your arms as "hooks" and your shoulders pulling. I usually come to chin level (I use these as shoulder exercises btw), and never full straighten my arms at the bottom.

frozencore12

Awards
with elbows in a straight line there is only a very limited range that one can move without engaging the rotators. The position of the elbows with respect to the shoulders or the grip of the hands must change. The variety is almost endless yet as I see it the choices reduce to: heavy partials, light full range working the rotators, full weight -- the rotatory component is done by the hands/grip.

GXbcmFTO

Awards
I use a straight bar, usually around 30-35kg and my hands are about 6" (usually both thumbs extended + 1/2 in on each side), and I like to pull em to my chip. For myself this causes no discomfort and feels great.

But as you can see everyone has thier own way they do things, like it was suggested earlier, just use a lower weight and find out where your sweet spot is.

~GX

The_KM

The_KM

Awards
Imo,

Any grip inside of the acronium (if drawn a line from the bar to shoulder) places a large load on the susprinatus muscle of rotor cuff, so I'd advise of that.

I keep my grip shoulder width and carefully contract my delts.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I don't know how you grip the bar. You might want to try placing your thumbs parallel to the bar. This lets you concentrate more on your shoulders and upper back.

Also, my advice is that lesser weight and pausing at the top for 1-2 seconds and controllin gthe bar on the way down is significantly more effective and much safer than trying to heave a heavy bar and possibly sacrifice form.

raginfcktard

raginfcktard

Awards
  • Established
if ia m hitting the delts i change grip width with evey set going narrow to wide to just outside shoulders but not stupid far! traps is all narrow grip.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Oh yea, heavy barbell shrugs beforehand also lets me do more weight on upright rows.