Pulled Back Muscle

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I pulled a back muscle about 10 days ago doing BB shrugs.

Its been annoying me and I'm scared to work out. I've only done a leg workout since I pulled it and I did a shoulder workout yesterday. I've been putting patches on it because I hurt it again when I was moving into my new apt the other day. I picked up my 25lb dog and it hurt more than ever.

Assuming I rest my back how soon could I start working out heavy again? Is it ok to do lighter, shorter workouts for different bodyparts?

Thanks for your help!

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
Rest, you only get one back. And if you severely hurt it, it can be for life.

If you have insurance go to a chiro, ask and see if they have chiropractic massage, they're the best massage i've ever had.

Or if you have a massage envy by you, get a deep tissue massage, $39 for 1 hour, first time people only, but i just skip around from location to location, they never seem to catch on.

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have had back issues in the past, if you have a heating pad, those were a god send for me. Also, as was stated, see if you have someone who would massage it out. It might hurt like hell as they do it, but the knots will be gone sooner rather than later

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
thanks guys I think I can get massages at my school I'll check it out!

madds87

madds87

Awards
  • Established
anytime i pull something i go to a sports message therapist. I get a deep tissue message and they will tell you hoe sever it is and how long to rest. Find a good one though and make sure its DEEP tissue message.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
As someone who is in their mid-20s and very stubborn and doesn't take the right advice from people before injuring his back again, TAKE TIME OFF AND LET IT HEAL!!!

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
Which muscle?
I believe it to be my lower right trap. I rested all last week and put these icy hot type patches on it and those helped a lot.

I feel small and weak now so I'm excited to get back in the gym tomorrow. Now I just have to decide on what kind of new routine I'm going to do for the next few weeks!

AM07

Awards
  • Established
I believe it to be my lower right trap. I rested all last week and put these icy hot type patches on it and those helped a lot.

I feel small and weak now so I'm excited to get back in the gym tomorrow. Now I just have to decide on what kind of new routine I'm going to do for the next few weeks!
TAKE MORE TIME OFF!!! You think it's healed, but it's not healed yet! TRUST ME on this, I have extensive experience with upper back problems, and I'm only in my mid-20s!!

zay1967

Banned
Awards
Once you have rested it enough, strengthen your core. It will help to strengthen your back as well.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
TAKE MORE TIME OFF!!! You think it's healed, but it's not healed yet! TRUST ME on this, I have extensive experience with upper back problems, and I'm only in my mid-20s!!
yea your probably right, i woke up today at 4am getting ready for the gym and I feel the muscle so its not totally healed. I'm just hitting the heavy bag today so I'm hoping it won't be too bad. I'll probably cut the workout short but I need to get in there and do something I'm going nuts! I just can't wait any longer, must work out@!! :frustrate:

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
i hurt my lower back a few weeks back, i took 4 days off and it got better, so i thought. went back to the gym and made it a lot worse. my lower back and right down my leg was really sore. went to a chiro and he pumbled my back for awhile. He said i hadn't hurt it to badly but he'll have me right in two sessions. think i'll be stretching a lot more after workouts now :)

but yeah i'd rest more!

zay1967

Banned
Awards
When I was in SF Assessement and Selection, I hurt my back during team week; the military doctors kept doing MRI, and Xrays, and could not find anything. All I did was rest a loooooooong time, then I started strengthening my core, and stretched a looooong time before doing anything strenous. I got into yoga, and did the Stretch X from Tony Horton (not a sales pitch). Ever since I started stretching more (at least 45min) before working out, and doing core exercises, my back does not bother me anymore. Unfortunately I learned all this too late after getting out the military. Hope this helps.
Core training>>> Core Strength Training - How to Develop Your Center of Power

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I pulled a rhomboid once. To this day I still have trouble with it tightening up...

For reference:

Attachments

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
yea its either the rhomboid or the lower trap that I pulled. I can still feel it right now so I don't think I'll be lifting any weights this week. Maybe lower body but thats it. I would love to say that I cut my workout short because I was being sensible about my back but I was so winded between the heavy bag and jump roping I called it quits after an hour.

I know its not my lat because I can still do pullups without any soreness or any kind of pain.

Disturbed

Disturbed

Awards
Rest, you only get one back. And if you severely hurt it, it can be for life.

If you have insurance go to a chiro, ask and see if they have chiropractic massage, they're the best massage i've ever had.

Or if you have a massage envy by you, get a deep tissue massage, $39 for 1 hour, first time people only, but i just skip around from location to location, they never seem to catch on.
Good post futurpilot.I agree with both chiro and massage.You have to understand that medical doctors can only prescribe medicine for injuries.Massage therapists are trained to deal with soft tissue injuries.Call around and find someone that deals in deep tissue massages.If you can't afford a massage then find a massage school and they have clinics where their students that are getting ready to graduate and will give you a massage for $25.

Royd The Noyd

Royd The Noyd

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good post futurpilot.I agree with both chiro and massage.You have to understand that medical doctors can only prescribe medicine for injuries.Massage therapists are trained to deal with soft tissue injuries.Call around and find someone that deals in deep tissue massages.If you can't afford a massage then find a massage school and they have clinics where their students that are getting ready to graduate and will give you a massage for $25.
PL'ers swear by those trained in Active Release Therapy. Find a dealer nearest you (lol no I dont work for these guys):

http://www.activerelease.com/

futurepilot

Awards
  • Established
If you can't afford a massage then find a massage school and they have clinics where their students that are getting ready to graduate and will give you a massage for $25.
Thats a good one too, my girlfriend does this for haircuts, sometimes they'll even be free if it's for an exam.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
Does the $25 include the "happy ending"?

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
I have had this happen a few times, right in the middle of your back off the side of your spine. It doesnt bother you unless you stretch. When this happens to me, doing tricep and chest workouts never bother it, but I hold off on back workouts for about 1-2 weeks and its fine. Take note on that....depends how sever a pulled muscle it is. Mine was minor, felt fine fast. skip a couple workouts after it feels fine, then its more likely healed.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I have had this happen a few times, right in the middle of your back off the side of your spine. It doesnt bother you unless you stretch. When this happens to me, doing tricep and chest workouts never bother it, but I hold off on back workouts for about 1-2 weeks and its fine. Take note on that....depends how sever a pulled muscle it is. Mine was minor, felt fine fast. skip a couple workouts after it feels fine, then its more likely healed.
Yea now the right side feels good, but the left side feels super pumped so no back workouts this week. I put some patches on it last night but its still pretty sore. I was throwing a lot of jabs but damn this is getting really annoying. I feel so small!!

Zero V

Zero V

Awards
  • Established
Yea now the right side feels good, but the left side feels super pumped so no back workouts this week. I put some patches on it last night but its still pretty sore. I was throwing a lot of jabs but damn this is getting really annoying. I feel so small!!

I have lost muscle mass before, I have put on extra fat before.(like i did right now do to my missions trip) but you will rebound from it. If you lose some muscle, or cant gain any mass do to an injury, it will come back, or you can make up for it once you are healed.

Lets say it takes another weeks ok.....you will bounce back faster than you think....lets say you push it.....and you tear a muscle instead of just pulling it.....now the story changes.

I think most people have time periods where they cant perform at peak do to injury or something preventing them from eating right or going to the gym.

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
I have lost muscle mass before, I have put on extra fat before.(like i did right now do to my missions trip) but you will rebound from it. If you lose some muscle, or cant gain any mass do to an injury, it will come back, or you can make up for it once you are healed.

Lets say it takes another weeks ok.....you will bounce back faster than you think....lets say you push it.....and you tear a muscle instead of just pulling it.....now the story changes.

I think most people have time periods where they cant perform at peak do to injury or something preventing them from eating right or going to the gym.
Yea your definitely right I don't want a serious injury. I'm an ecto and very sensitive about losing muscle mass. I'm getting older now and I'm not AS concerned but I hit quite a few PRs this past year and I am excited to see how strong I can get. :squat:

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Yeah man atm i think i've got a pulled rhomboid and lat. w/e doing Lateral dumbell work it feels like snapping/burning sensation on my upper right back on the eccentric part of the excercise, as for my lat it dosent bother me too much, it just gets really tight randomly took back off this week though

MoTiV

Awards
  • Established
it hurts sometimes when i do a pushup, its really ticking me off now