Weird chest development

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hey guys now that im a lot leaner and I can see my pec as a while I am seeing I have some major development issues. I have made 2 pictures that emphasize this weird development. The first is the colored area which is "sunken" in, almost like a bowl to the rest of my pec.

The second is how my chest look's...kinda like a square. With the development twords my arm pits dwarfing the rest of my chest.....big time.

Anyone else have this problems or some tips to help correct this?

Attachments

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
I'm not going to suggest incline bench as I am probably sure you already do this. Another exercise you can do is heavy ass dumbbell pullovers.

If you are doing both of these and the upper pec still has that issue, it may just be genetic.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I'm not going to suggest incline bench as I am probably sure you already do this. Another exercise you can do is heavy ass dumbbell pullovers.

If you are doing both of these and the upper pec still has that issue, it may just be genetic.
Yea bro I kill upper chest stuff. I implement heavy DB pull-overs also. Thats what I was afraid to hear.

I was just thinking about CG incline BB press maybe? Closer grip is suppose to work more inner chest correct?

smshannon001

smshannon001

Awards
  • Established
when u do the cg incline just make sure to focus the movement from the chest not the tris... bow your chest out when u press... im sure you know all this already

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
yeah close grip might, but I'm not sure about close grip bench press though since your hands are stationary when they push. This is more of triceps.

If you have hammer strength machines at your gym, they converge together when you press and are independent, not fixed together.

If you do have one of those for chest, grip the bars as close as you can together. The nice thing about those is they come together at a point (sorta) and are not fixed together like a bar.

That would probably be my suggestion for inner chest. Do you do weighted dips at all ?

Do them with as narrow grip as possible and lean forward, that should help too.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
yeah close grip might, but I'm not sure about close grip bench press though since your hands are stationary when they push. This is more of triceps.

If you have hammer strength machines at your gym, they converge together when you press and are independent, not fixed together.

If you do have one of those for chest, grip the bars as close as you can together. The nice thing about those is they come together at a point (sorta) and are not fixed together like a bar.

That would probably be my suggestion for inner chest. Do you do weighted dips at all ?

Do them with as narrow grip as possible and lean forward, that should help too.
I should have probably post'd me chest routine to huh? This is what it usually consist's of

Incline Bench
3sets
Flat
3sets
Dips
3sets
Fly's
2-3sets
DB pull Over (usually Every other week or so)
2-3sets

I usually train between the 6-12 rep range. I will swith between DB, DD and smith along with cable, DB, and machine fly's also.

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I have/had a similar issue. Strangely enough, the lift that brought out that upper/middle area that looks "sunken in" is close-grip decline bench press. Not super-close, but slightly narrower than shoulder width. Honestly, this version has taken over the incline press as my favorite bench press.

Brought out my chest nicely. The pump you get in the tris and chest is unreal.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have/had a similar issue. Strangely enough, the lift that brought out that upper/middle area that looks "sunken in" is close-grip decline bench press. Not super-close, but slightly narrower than shoulder width. Honestly, this version has taken over the incline press as my favorite bench press.

Brought out my chest nicely. The pump you get in the tris and chest is unreal.
Good to know. I'll implement that for sure. Hell not like its going to hurt :lol:

SoCo4Fun

SoCo4Fun

Awards
  • Established
ShakesAllDay beat me to it...despite what everyone thinks you can get massive inner/upper chest development from decline bench press...

Also, as you probably know, just make sure you are focusing on squeezing your pecs when you bench...try to imagine that the only muscle that is working is your pecs...dig your shoulder blades into the bench and squeeze those boobies!

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
ShakesAllDay beat me to it...despite what everyone thinks you can get massive inner/upper chest development from decline bench press...

Also, as you probably know, just make sure you are focusing on squeezing your pecs when you bench...try to imagine that the only muscle that is working is your pecs...dig your shoulder blades into the bench and squeeze those boobies!

Yup. I found this out accidentally. I don't do any isolation exercises right now and I wanted something to hit the triceps a bit more than regular bench and/or OH pressing. I already had flat and incline bench in my program, so what else to add than close-grip decline? I love it. I flare my elbows a bit instead of the normal "powerlifting" type arc, bringing the bar between the bottom of the pec and nipple. My entire tricep and chest group is pumped to the max after a few sets of those.

But, def. remember to keep the shoulders back. I can def. tell my shoulders don't like it when I don't emphasize this in the lift (maybe tougher on the shoulders given the narrow grip).

edit: I would like to add something since we're talking about chest. I have seen the best overall results from a combo of:

close-grip decline bench press
mid-grip flat bench press
wide-grip incline bench press

I don't know how physiology works into that, but that's my subjective opinion.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Hey guys now that im a lot leaner and I can see my pec as a while I am seeing I have some major development issues. I have made 2 pictures that emphasize this weird development. The first is the colored area which is "sunken" in, almost like a bowl to the rest of my pec.

The second is how my chest look's...kinda like a square. With the development twords my arm pits dwarfing the rest of my chest.....big time.

Anyone else have this problems or some tips to help correct this?
Dude... You're jacked! :icon_lol:

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Too much incline, which is why your development is closer toward your arm puts. If you were to have done more decline when you were growing your chest you would have had a different shape. Chest shape is NOT ALL genetic. Look up Gironda neck press and see what I mean.