Is there a science behind what causes Back Pumps?

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Random thought but what exactly causes back pumps, anyone know? I know taurine helps and all but why do they happen? If this is a stupid question just say but I was just curious that's all.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com

DonnyG

DonnyG

Awards
  • Established
The only "back pumps" I've ever experienced were, in fact, kidney issues. Drink a ton of water when you're on, that's some of the best advice I can give.

bluejoc24

bluejoc24

Awards
Random thought but what exactly causes back pumps, anyone know? I know taurine helps and all but why do they happen? If this is a stupid question just say but I was just curious that's all.

Thanks to anyone who responds.

Sent from my iPhone using Am.com
I believe it can come from your BP being too high. The lower back is constantly being used for walking and moving your upper body. Don't quote me on that, just a theory I heard. Hurts like hell though.

MANotaur

MANotaur

Awards
a muscle pump is nothing more than osmosis. hate to bust your bubble dude. its just that. during an exersice, your muscle tissue is screaming for more energy in this case glycogen, which in turn is needed to continue to produce and desphosphorylate ATP. Meanwhile, hydrogen ions are building up inside muscle cells, giving us that burn we love so much. Blood rushes into the capillaries surrounding muscle cells and fluid and nutrients (oxygen, etc.) diffuse from the capillaries into the muscle cell. On the other end, fluid minus the nutrients exits the muscle cell by diffusing back into capillaries. this is what the science community calls osmosis. When the hydrostatic pressure pushing fluid into the cell is greater than the osmotic pressure pushing fluid out of the cell, fluid builds up and a pump occurs. its like hooking a firehose up to a waterbed....theres gonna be alot of pressure, this pressure we is what we feel in a pump.

The mechanism pushing fluid into the cells and around them is much more effective than the mechanism pushing fluid out. Thats why after a while, you pump goes away...usually after an hour or so.

alot of people get "back pumps" especially in the low back because our back is a very active stabilizer muscle. when were doing any exercise (given we use proper form) our back should always be engaged. With the popularity of pre workouts thats contain large amounts of of vasodiolators (ie: agamatine) it allows much much MUCH more blood and fluid to flow into the cells...the problem...the muscle cells can only remove so much of the excess, used fluid at one time. so...the more fluid you have coming in equates to more fluid buildup in the space around the muscle cells (sarcoplasm) which gives us bigger better bumps...sometimes to the point of being paintfull.

This phenomenon is even more exacerbated when people combine anabolics into their nutrion and supplementation. this causes a much higher up take of nitrogen into the cells which allows for a much faster and greater volume of protein synthesis (which is a genetic process). This is why taurine could anecdotally reduce the felt effects of pumps because the cell uses this particular amino acid for a number of cellular processes, not just muscle protein synthesis. This could have the potential to cause the actual cell to retain more fluid which would slow the exit of the fluid out of the cell, which would lower the felt effects of your pumps.

hope this helps...i tried to keep it as simple, informative, and not too boring at the same time.

Reactions: BBB
Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It's primarily because people have tight hips, which leads to a tight back. Throw in extra blood and glycogen and you get back pumps. Rather than addressing the actual issue with corrective exercise, people look to the easier route of supplementation.

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Well my short answer to all with will be thank guys for the feed back . . . I guess I should have stated that I didn't have an issue with them but I hear so many that do just got me wondering as I like to dabble with scientific stuff once and awhile and go from there.

If I was going to take a guess at what caused it I always start with diet and hydration as most ok maybe not most but some people think there diet is in check and well for the most part its out the window.

As for hydration if I pumped any more water into this body during I'd probably blow up lol I drive for a living and let me tell you bathroom breaks come about every 15 minutes and while I'm walking to the bathroom I'm drinking water lol . . might try pampers next time lol!!!

The only issue I had ON was a slight increase in blood pressure so I'll toss in some extra celery seed extract or more hawthorn berry next time around on top of the usual supports like Cycle Assist and all that. . . mind you someone suggest CQ10 so I must still research that one. . and as for the hip thing, I think I"m good in that department from years of competitive Powerlifting.

Well again thanks to everyone for the in depth explaination.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hydration is not just water consumption. It's proper mineral consumption as well.

MM11

MM11

Awards
  • Established
To inquire further with a question

I used to always get crippling back pumps running. I avoided dead lifts during rugby season because of that. Was my lower back just not strong enough, running form bad (no video so I know it's hard to judge). I would have back cramps that would cause me to stop, I wouldn't even be out of breath.

What can I do to stop this? It really hindered my performance.

It isn't an issue now. I squat, DL, clean and can run the next day with the only issue being DOMS which I can push past. The back cramps did not feel like DOMS and I avoided training that would cause DOMS in my back.

Edit: good running form is not always an option in a game/ match for many sports.

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
whoops! . . forgot to mention that was well but yes you are completely right and I aim while ON to load up on my minerals as well . . bit of a fanatic about the whole diet thing at times . . I'm sure I spend way to much time on it but eh give me something to do when I"m not killing myself at my gym . . . now as I say this I'm doing cardio to lose the Christmas binder I went on . . however, I have a good excuse that that, I had some sudden deaths in my family so fell out of the wagon for a few weeks but back at it now and OMG layoffs suck, I"m as sore as HELL!!!

But like I say . . I was more just wondering why SOME get really bad pumps and others don't, not so much for myself just in general . . only painful pumps I got while ON was during arms OMG I honestly thought my bicep was going to explode . . .it was odd but hella good after I was done crying lol

On a completely side note I think that is what I love most about this site . . you can ask a question (for the most part) and not get torn a new one like some other sites. I'll admit I maybe new to cycles and all that but not to competitions, diet or the iron game in general so its nice when trying to lean about the darkside people are willing to help you and not expect you to be an expert first time around. . . recently retired from competitions so I figured I"d try something new for the next state of my life as I start over the other side of the hill . . . thanks again everyone

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To inquire further with a question

I used to always get crippling back pumps running. I avoided dead lifts during rugby season because of that. Was my lower back just not strong enough, running form bad (no video so I know it's hard to judge). I would have back cramps that would cause me to stop, I wouldn't even be out of breath.

What can I do to stop this? It really hindered my performance.

It isn't an issue now. I squat, DL, clean and can run the next day with the only issue being DOMS which I can push past. The back cramps did not feel like DOMS and I avoided training that would cause DOMS in my back.

Edit: good running form is not always an option in a game/ match for many sports.
I'm going to go with something that is horribly neglected: the shoes. Improper footwear is one of the reasons that so many people have bad technique on squats and deads.

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
I'm going to go with something that is horribly neglected: the shoes. Improper footwear is one of the reasons that so many people have bad technique on squats and deads.
Barefoot - good or bad in your opinion?

I've been doing my workouts shoeless & personally feel more stable on my feet than ever - I have absolutely no science to back that up.....

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
If I can chime in . . . for squats I use a special hard sole shoe made for squatting with a raised heal . . and for deads just a gripped bottom slipper type thing . . this is what all powerlifters use in competitions . . I'd never squat in anything but my squat shoes . . just my feelings

LizKing531

LizKing531

Awards
If I can chime in . . . for squats I use a special hard sole shoe made for squatting with a raised heal . . and for deads just a gripped bottom slipper type thing . . this is what all powerlifters use in competitions . . I'd never squat in anything but my squat shoes . . just my feelings
yeah - that's what I've been curious about - It seems like specialized shoes aim to be "neutral" more or less, with the exception of a raised heel , so expanding on that would lead one towards barefoot?.....

*pardon the thread jack away from back pump info... the footwear thing made me curious

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Barefoot - good or bad in your opinion?

I've been doing my workouts shoeless & personally feel more stable on my feet than ever - I have absolutely no science to back that up.....
Depends on the person's foot shape and strength.

Those are for close-stance Oly squatting, not all type of squats. Not all PL'ers use DL socks in competition as many prefer the ankle support provided by Chuck's.

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Depends on the person's foot shape and strength.

Those are for close-stance Oly squatting, not all type of squats. Not all PL'ers use DL socks in competition as many prefer the ankle support provided by Chuck's.

. . true but the raised heal help break parallel a bit easier . . I just like them because it keeps my foot in one place without any compression during heavy squating

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
*pardon the thread jack away from back pump info... the footwear thing made me curious[/QUOTE]

lol no worries buddy I"m easy going on my threads . . chat away.

As for the whole foot thing try different things and shoes and see what feels best . . but for me I like what I use and could never change but with all the new stuff and science behind various lifting techniques and all that I'd say "try them out" . . I'm like an old dog . . and very hard to teach me a new trick when it comes to my shoes lol

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
. . true but the raised heal help break parallel a bit easier . . I just like them because it keeps my foot in one place without any compression during heavy squating
Chuck's don't compress either and, again, this depends on the type of squat being utilized. Oly shoes are not going to be a good idea for wide-stance squats.

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
Hmmm? this is interesting . . and I should have stated this earlier that I do not know about these shoes as I have had mine for so long that I have not needed to look into others and everyone on my team pretty much used the same type but you have quirked my interest so I will look into these. . . agreed I was a narrow squatter as I could never bend and keep proper form during super wide squats and they just killed my knees so coach kept me with narrow lol . ..

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hmmm? this is interesting . . and I should have stated this earlier that I do not know about these shoes as I have had mine for so long that I have not needed to look into others and everyone on my team pretty much used the same type but you have quirked my interest so I will look into these. . . agreed I was a narrow squatter as I could never bend and keep proper form during super wide squats and they just killed my knees so coach kept me with narrow lol . ..
Sounds like you weren't flaring your knees during the descent while pushing your hips back. The technique difference in wide and narrow stance squats is just as different as conventional and sumo deadlifts.

Mass Monkey

Mass Monkey

Awards
. . lol yeah we worked on that . . but the Nationals were getting to close back then so I aimed to work on them in the off season . . so maybe not that I have retired from competitions I'll work on super wide squatting and if all goes well . . eh who knows maybe I'll return to the Platform in the future . . I never say never.