Mr iForce Dusty Hanshaw...journal to the USA's

Page 3 of 6 First 12345 ... Last

  1. Thanks for the reply dusty, much appreciated.
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative


  2. Funny you say that big man. I have never been a macro-manager either. I eat the same stuff and adjust accordingly. I forgot to ask how you like Conquer compared to Max Intense?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
    •   
       


  3. I'm the same way, I don't count, I just use my brain, remember and adjust each meal if need be.

    Mike
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative

  4. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Funny you say that big man. I have never been a macro-manager either. I eat the same stuff and adjust accordingly. I forgot to ask how you like Conquer compared to Max Intense?
    Honestly Conquer is head and shoulders above Max Intense for me personally because not only does it taste better but I am already noticing that I am getting more out of it for my workouts than Max Intense. For me the Intense stims hit me pretty hard which was good for some bodyparts but for the larger muscle groups i found myself only using 1/2 a serving to avoid the overstimmed feeling which meant I was losing some effectiveness from the other ingredients. I still mix the Conquer with my Compete pre workout and soon I will be adding Hemavol back into the mix as well so I will let you know what I think of the full stack.

  5. 13 weeks out and things are starting to change. Obviously I am not pressing hard to get my condition in yet since I stay very lean and if anything a little light in the muscle department during my offseasons...especially this years offseason since I dieted through the early part of December. At this stage of my prep I can tell the training has been really hard not only because I am sore all over but also because I feel like I can sleep for days. Typicaly this is how it works for me during prep: In the beginning as I start pressing hard for growth as well as hitting the diet on the hard I feel exhausted from the training which allows me to sleep a ton BUT as the metabolism boosts up I tend to start losing the ability to sleep the long hours because no matter how many greens I bring in I wake up starving. Thankfully that has yet to happen and I am sleeping like I am in a coma.

    This weekend I am heading out to LA for an iForce Nutrition appearance at Lindberg Nutrition and to train in Venice for three days with Chris Cormier. It is going to be an awesome weekend because I will have the chance to meet more fans of iForce Nutrition products, train in the Mecca, and get some great footage for my upcoming DVD which we are filming between now and the USA's.

    DH~8
    •   
       


  6. Hey Guys, I just got off the phone with Chris Cormier and he agreed to do another Q and A video with me this weekend while I am in Venice training with him. We did this a few months ago and I used questions that came from fans of my Facebook page. If you have any questions you would like me to ask Chris please post them up here and I will choose the most interesting ones and ask him for the video. Feel free to ask questions about anything from info from his career, how he trained, his greatest moments as a pro, all the way to how he approaches training his clients now or his views on the best training style. I am really hoping to get some awesome questions answered again so please ask away.

    DH~8

  7. Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post
    Hey Guys, I just got off the phone with Chris Cormier and he agreed to do another Q and A video with me this weekend while I am in Venice training with him. We did this a few months ago and I used questions that came from fans of my Facebook page. If you have any questions you would like me to ask Chris please post them up here and I will choose the most interesting ones and ask him for the video. Feel free to ask questions about anything from info from his career, how he trained, his greatest moments as a pro, all the way to how he approaches training his clients now or his views on the best training style. I am really hoping to get some awesome questions answered again so please ask away.

    DH~8
    Awesome!

    I have a question....

    Is there anything in his career he followed like the gospel in the beginning but changed later in his career?
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative

  8. Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post
    Hey Guys, I just got off the phone with Chris Cormier and he agreed to do another Q and A video with me this weekend while I am in Venice training with him. We did this a few months ago and I used questions that came from fans of my Facebook page. If you have any questions you would like me to ask Chris please post them up here and I will choose the most interesting ones and ask him for the video. Feel free to ask questions about anything from info from his career, how he trained, his greatest moments as a pro, all the way to how he approaches training his clients now or his views on the best training style. I am really hoping to get some awesome questions answered again so please ask away.

    DH~8
    I'd be interested in how long he sticks with any one practice, whether it be diet or training style, before changing due to lack of desired results
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Product Rep - [email protected] .com
    PHWSupplements Store Rep
    Use code "BOONE10" for 10% off at phwsupplements.com/

  9. What was his heaviest off season weight and heaviest competition weight?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  10. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    What was his heaviest off season weight and heaviest competition weight?
    Dusty stays pretty lean all year, he takes his diet seriously almost 365 days of the year from what I see.Mike
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative

  11. Well, that question was for Chris but if DH wants to answer for himself that would be cool as well.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  12. What an INSANE weekend over in Venice! One thing that I think a lot of people do not know or cannot fully understand is how much things change as an athletes appearance schedule starts filling up more and more. I mean, we all know how focused a bodybuilder has to be 24/7/365 if they want to see the best gains from show to show but I personally had no idea how much more difficult that would become as my schedule started to fill up. Here is what my schedule looked like the late part of this week:

    Wednesday-
    As always I woke up early and headed in to do my early morning cardio. From there I shot home and between my wife and myself got five of my six meals together to take to work. I worked my typical 11 hour day and during that time ate my first five meals. After work I came home and started prep on my meals for Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Obviously that meant preparing 24 meals that had to be cooked, weighed, chopped, bagged, and refrigerated prior to bed. Once that was all done I headed to the gym to hit my last workout before heading to LA the following afternoon.

    Thursday-
    As always woke up and knocked out my morning cardio and after eating meal one and getting all of my luggage together headed into work. I worked until about 4:00pm when my wife came in with the rest of my meals packed and in the cooler so I could hit the road and she took over at the store. I drove to LA which takes me about five and a half hours door to door. Obviously I just want to get where I am going so during the trip I eat my food out of ziplock bags and don't bother with heating it. Got to my hotel about 10:30pm knocked out my last meal and packed up all of my food into the hotel fridge.

    Friday-
    Wake up and hit my AM cardio. From there it was off to Sauce on Hampton for breakfast like I do everyday when I am in Venice. After breakfast ran to the mall to kill sometime before heading to Venice for my first posing practice of the weekend with Chris Cormier at Venice Golds. After posing I was off to Max Muscle to interview with Dave aka MadMax7 for MD. After we got that out of the way I was back to the hotel to get spray tanned and eat a couple more meals before heading back to Golds to shoot some instructional training video for NPC Online. As soon as that was done it was time to change really quick and start my training with Chris Cormier. I was pretty exhausted at this point but we knocked out a great shoulder workout and then it was back to the hotel to finish my meals and sleep for the night.

    Saturday-
    As always we started out the day with morning cardio then it was off to Sauce on Hampton to eat meal 1. From there I went to the hotel and got my meals together for the day and grabbed a quick shower before heading off to my first appearance of the day at a store called Lindberg Nutrition. I was there between 11:00am and 1:30pm and from there I had thirty minutes to drive to there other location where I did a meet and greet with fans from 2:00-4:30pm. I had a great time meeting a bunch of fans and discussing their goals and changes they could make to their training and or nutrition to take them to the next level. From there it was back to the hotel to eat one more time and change into my training clothes before heading back to Golds. We shot Chris Cormiers Q and A at about 7:00pm and started training at about 7:30pm. On this day I was training quads and had two camera crews with us because we were filming both for iForce TV as well as for my DVD so it was a bit nuts. I decided to talk trash to Cormier throughout the training about never winning an Arnold Classic (even though I believe he deserved at least one win) and that encouraged him to put me through an entirely different kind of pain. The workout was brutal and was not over until about 9:30pm. After training we shot a wrapup video for iForce TV and then Iwas back to the hotel to knock out my final meals and crash.

    Sunday-
    Once again it was morning cardio followed by breakfast at Sauce on Hampton but: today as soon as breakfast was done I headed over to Golds to meet with Cormier for an hour of hard posing. As soon as posing was over I dried off and changed into my training gear. We trained arms on Sunday and it was brutal. As we were training arms Chris and I discussed the fact that we had not had the chance to train hamstrings together so rather than wait for another day we decided as soon as I finished arms we would start a hamstring workout. Needless to say by the time the hamstring workout was done I was toast!!! Between posing, training two bodyparts, and the insane weekend I was just gassed at this point. Fortunately I had already packed my car for the ride home so as soon as I was done my assistant and I went to grab a quick bite and I was on the road back to Az by about 3:00pm. I met my wife at my gym in Scottsdale at 9:30pm to take progress pics for Aceto. Drove home from there to unpack, eat my last meal of the day, prep a few meals for Monday, and crashed.

    As you can see these weekends are insane but if you want to make improvements you cannot let any part of your diet loosen up nor can you back down on your training one bit. Honestly for me sometimes this is easier said than done but I know I have to find a way and I believe I am getting better and better at getting that done with each trip.

    DH~8

  13. Just reading that was insane . What do you usually get from Sauce on Hampton for breakfast?

  14. Quote Originally Posted by kbayne View Post
    Just reading that was insane . What do you usually get from Sauce on Hampton for breakfast?
    PreContest I get 16 egg whites with tomato and spinach with a side of two cups oatmeal.

    Off Season i get two of the breakfast burritos with extra lean ground turkey, 1 side chicken breast and two orders of yukon gold potatoes.

  15. Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post
    PreContest I get 16 egg whites with tomato and spinach with a side of two cups oatmeal.

    Off Season i get two of the breakfast burritos with extra lean ground turkey, 1 side chicken breast and two orders of yukon gold potatoes.
    Both of those meals sound bomb!!! When do you think the Q&A will be posted up?

  16. Quote Originally Posted by kbayne View Post
    Both of those meals sound bomb!!! When do you think the Q&A will be posted up?
    Not sure when the first Q and A will be up but we will have more coming as well. Will post link here for sure

  17. Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post
    Not sure when the first Q and A will be up but we will have more coming as well. Will post link here for sure
    Awesome, thanks DH.

  18. Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post
    Not sure when the first Q and A will be up but we will have more coming as well. Will post link here for sure
    Looking forward to that, you will be overwhelmed
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative

  19. i wanted to say late but in! this is an awesome thread

  20. Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    i wanted to say late but in! this is an awesome thread
    Glad you are liking it but I promise it will get better and better as the suffering begins.

  21. After such a hectic past couple of weeks the wifey decided that it would be a good idea to surprise me with a little day trip up to Sedona here in Az to stay at my favorite secluded hotel and just relax. It is rather impressive how well she has gotten to know not only me but the demands the sport and my travel schedule place on me. Because of that she knew that this weekend would be the perfect opportunity to recharge before jumping on a plane on Wednesday and heading to the UK for the Body Power expo. It was about the most lazy twenty four hours of my life outside of doing my cardio in the morning.

    If you are serious about your bodybuilding long term it is important to learn when it is timely to take those little breaks so that when it gets down to the nitty gritty of prep your mind and body is as strong as possible so you can push through any barriers that step in your way as the exhaustion kicks in.

    DH~8

  22. IN for DH updates! I need to try conquer, ive been going hema solo lately

  23. After an absolutely INSANE travel schedule this year I am finally on the home stretch with only one more guest posing to do this Saturday before I get to settle in and just give everything I have for 8 weeks leading into the USA's. One thing that people often ask me is "How do you manage to make improvements to your physique while you are on the road for so much of the year?" This question is absolutely a valid one and until last year I had no idea just how hard it can be. In fact I am not at all ashamed to say that I think last year I was unable to make any improvements leading into Nationals because I was not prepared for the demands travel would have on me physically and mentally. That being said if you want to make a living in this sport it is imperative that you learn how to be a great bodybuilder on the road when you have to and that once you do have a chance to settle in at home for the precontest phase of your prep you need to take full advantage.

    This year in order to ensure that I did not make the same mistakes as last year I actually sat down and planned out my trips and made an effort to have a plan for how I was going to get in all of my meals on the road, how I was going to get as much rest as possible, and how I was going to make sure that not only did I get to the gym but that I was at my best while training. The food part was the obvious part as I just brought ALL of my own food for trips even when I was in the off season. This way I NEVER missed a meal and if anything had a few extras because I would go out here and there leaving me with more food than needed which I could then use if I was up more hours than usual in a day.

    As far as rest I just really paid attention to the fact that often times when on the road you find yourself staying up later than usual watching TV or whatever because you don't have the comforts of home so you need to be extra tired to finally crash. This is especially an issue for me because I have a very high quality mattress at home and very specific pillows that I need because of my size. This year I never turned on the TV after dinner. Instead I would take my 2 iForce Lights Out about 30 minutes before I wanted to be asleep and would get in bed and start reading. I found that reading when already exhausted would get me to crash a lot quicker than watching TV plus I never found myself trying to stay up to catch the end of a program because with the book I knew I could pick up right where I left off the next morning. I also typically order 6 extra pillows when in a hotel so I can prop my body up to how i feel most comfortable since most hotel pillows suck.

    Finally with training I learned that after a long hard day at an event or expo the worst thing I could do was come back to the hotel and relax for a bit. As soon as I would sit down to relax it would hit that I was exhausted and wanted to rest. Now what I do is get to the hotel, slam a meal, take my Compete, hemovol, and Conquer and be out the door within 45 min of getting to the hotel. Once I get to the gym I stretch, roll, and get mentally into the workout allowing my food a little more time to digest but in a work environment verses a hotel where I get lazy.

    Now that I will be home for 8 weeks straight minus the weekend travel to LA to train with Cormier I will be planning my schedule 110% around bodybuilding. This way I can maximize my efforts of growing into showtime like i usually do through being home and resting whenever I am not in the gym. I cannot even tell you how much an advantage it is to be at home when getting ready for a show but now that I have learned to get around my travel I will also make sure to maximize the potential of my home time.
  24. Kicking up the cardio intensity


    After looking at progress pics on Sunday I felt that I saw changes but not as much as I would have liked to see in three days. Due to this I talked to Chris Aceto and he does not want me adding cardio because we are being very protective of the size I have added to my legs but he has allowed me to kick up the intensity of the cardio and I have been loving it. Obviously when i say "loving it" I am not talking about the actual action of blasting out the cardio but rather how it feels when I am done. Typically I have just been walking on the treadmill which is beyond boring and when I am done all I feel is that the task is complete and it is time to move on with life. Now that Chris is letting em do some hard cardio on the stepmill I am having short battles over my 30 minutes of cardio and at the end of the session I am drenched with sweat and thankful it is over. What I am doing now is 30 minutes on the stepmill (Gauntlet) but I am rotating the intensity between 3 minutes at level 6 and 3 minutes at level 12. It is not brutally hard but more of a challenge then walking. Tomorrow I plan on rotating between level 6 and level 14 which should actually be a pretty good challenge.

  25. Solid updates dusty, awesome to follow!!!

    Mike
    Hi-Tech Pharmaceuticals Representative

  26. awesome update!!! what are some of the sample arm workouts chris is having you go through???? Whats the diet been like?
    Glad to hear you are making progress on your legs.

    I'm the same way with work, If im working 8-10 hours I need to get home mix up a quick meal, get down some preworkout w heamavol then get off to the gym. If I sit down I crash hard for the night.

  27. Same here...serious couch lock if I even think of sitting on it.
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons

  28. Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    awesome update!!! what are some of the sample arm workouts chris is having you go through???? Whats the diet been like?
    Glad to hear you are making progress on your legs.

    I'm the same way with work, If im working 8-10 hours I need to get home mix up a quick meal, get down some preworkout w heamavol then get off to the gym. If I sit down I crash hard for the night.
    I wouldn't say that the arm workouts or any other of the workouts are that special outside of how he has me performing the repetitions. With my Tri's they have always grown very well just by moving a good amount of weight but the bis have always been a weakness for me and I found that by really focusing on keeping 110% of the focus on the muscle and literally dropping the weight by 25-50% I am getting more development in my bis. I attribute this to the fact that my shoulders are very strong and whether I want to admit it or not they were taking a lot of the workload off of my bis when I was training heavy.

    Current diet:

    Wake Up-

    Dexaprine
    2 TT33
    1 scoop compete
    1 scoop hemavol

    Cardio- drink Compete during

    M1-
    3 scoops iForce Protean
    2 cups oats

    M2 and Meal 3-
    10oz chicken
    1 cup rice

    M4-M5
    10oz chicken
    8oz potato
    12oz green beans

    Train- Take 1 scoop Conquer and Hemavol pre workout and 1 scoop Compete During workout

    M6-
    12oz flank steak
    120z green beans

    1 tbsp Liquid chlorophyll
    2 Lights Out

  29. Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Same here...serious couch lock if I even think of sitting on it.
    Glad to hear I am not the only one...lol. CrazEE how as soon as you sit down it hits you just how tired you are.
  30. Really starting to hit my stride


    Last night I had what could easily be the best hamstring workout of my life. It sounds odd but I have always found that as the suffering for a diet starts to set in you get a little more focused and from that comes some of the best training you can imagine. I hate using the trite saying of being in the zone but it is right along those lines. I think that it is primarily that way because as you start to feel the diet set in you realize that your show date is creeping up on you and that you don't have time to lose. Anyhow, because I had such a brutal leg workout last night I was greeted this morning with legs that felt like they were attached to brick feet as I trudged my way through cardio this morning. Having that heavy feet feeling made me realize that this is when many guys would back off a bit so I decided to push the cardio a little harder this morning and although it was a complete biatch to get done I felt awesome when i was done because once again I knew that i had raised the bar on myself and that is all uyou can do leading into a show. For me it has never been just about winning or losing but rather knowing come showtime that you did everything within your power to be at your very best come show day and if you do that then hopefully your best is better than anyone else standing on stage with you that day.

    Another bright note is that my weight is starting to shift like it always does when my body is cooperating with me. Like always as soon as the "diet" began I dropped about 10lbs but now I am starting to get harder and my weight is actually working its way back in the other direction. I have gained 3lbs in the last six days but my composition is noticeably tighter and this is what i call my perfect storm. I have a long way to go but can say with certainty that my body is cooperating in a way that it has not done since 2010 and I attribute the majority of that to the stress free environment i made sure to set up in my life before starting this prep.

    DH
  •   

      
     

Similar Forum Threads

  1. The Dusty Hanshaw Super Stack!
    By NutraPlanet CS in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
  2. The Dusty Hanshaw Super Stack!
    By NutraPlanet CS in forum I-Force Nutrition
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 08-10-2010, 03:18 PM
  3. 6 weeks out pics to the USA!!
    By saxon299 in forum Pics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM
Log in
Log in