Mr iForce Dusty Hanshaw...journal to the USA's

Page 2 of 5 First 1234 ... Last
  1. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Just finished blasting quads and damn was it a good workout. I had my first experience with the newly reflavored iForce Nutrition Maximize Intense and it was delish. As always I mixed it with my Hemavol preworkout and then sipped on the Compete while training. As always the volume on the training was very low but the intensity was very high. We started out with five sets of extensions with a two count pause at the contraction of each rep. The sets were all to 20 reps but only the final two were working sets done to complete failure and even with some forced reps. From there it was five sets of leg press and once again only the final two sets were all out intensity that also included some forced reps. Next up was hack squats and for these the reps were dropped down to 12-15 reps. Did four sets here and by the time these were done I was feeling pretty well smoked so we opted to finish with two additional sets of extensions to failure before crawling out of the gym.

Now I am slamming down my strawberry soda and my Vanilla Cupcake Batter Protean. In about and hour I will eat my final meal of the day and then take my ZMA, Intimidate, and Lights Out before crashing for the night.

DH~8

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Is the foot placement on the narrow side for the press and hack?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  3. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Quote Originally Posted by AZMIDLYF View Post
    Is the foot placement on the narrow side for the press and hack?
    Yes, we are doing a more narrow stance at the moment to keep as much focus as possible only on the quads. We are also trying to keep my feet a bit lower on the platform to keep from bringing the hams and glutes into the movements to much.
    •   

4. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.25%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by dustyhanshaw View Post
    Yes, we are doing a more narrow stance at the moment to keep as much focus as possible only on the quads. We are also trying to keep my feet a bit lower on the platform to keep from bringing the hams and glutes into the movements to much.
    Narrow stances have been what I've been doing this past offseason to bring up the sweep also.. love it.

Mike
  5. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

...I was going to post an image but apparently I need to post 150 times first...ughhhhh

16 weeks out now and excited to finally be starting my dieting down. Thankfully I stayed very lean with such a short off season so at this point the only thing that has changed is that I have started some light cardio and have pulled any extra meals out of my diet. Typically when I diet what I do is diet down by decreasing calories more and more but eventually once my metabolism is really going I end up doing extremely high carb days to keep from losing fullness or size. Some guys have a structured plan for that but in my case we just watch my pics and make these decisions based on how I look. I may be having a high day 0nce a week, twice a week, or possibly only once a month or less. At the end of the day the idea is that we never tell the body what to do but instead we ask it.

Today was quads and I am beyond happy with how much size I am starting to see adding to my quads under the guidance of Chris Cormier. As my most recent quad training video showed I am really focused on controlling the negative portion of my reps, squeezing hard on the contraction of each rep, and exploding through the positive portion of the movement.

DH~8
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

...I was going to post an image but apparently I need to post 150 times first...ughhhhh

16 weeks out now and excited to finally be starting my dieting down. Thankfully I stayed very lean with such a short off season so at this point the only thing that has changed is that I have started some light cardio and have pulled any extra meals out of my diet. Typically when I diet what I do is diet down by decreasing calories more and more but eventually once my metabolism is really going I end up doing extremely high carb days to keep from losing fullness or size. Some guys have a structured plan for that but in my case we just watch my pics and make these decisions based on how I look. I may be having a high day 0nce a week, twice a week, or possibly only once a month or less. At the end of the day the idea is that we never tell the body what to do but instead we ask it.

Today was quads and I am beyond happy with how much size I am starting to see adding to my quads under the guidance of Chris Cormier. As my most recent quad training video showed I am really focused on controlling the negative portion of my reps, squeezing hard on the contraction of each rep, and exploding through the positive portion of the movement.

DH~8
    DH, are these on the IForce website?^^^
    Also, are your rep ranges higher now with Chris training you?
    Always open light. Itís not what you open with, itís what you finish with. Louie Simmons
  7. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

DH, are these on the IForce website?^^^
    Also, are your rep ranges higher now with Chris training you?
    I cannot post links yet but the videos are all on the iForce Nutrition video page. If you post on my FB fan page wall and ask for the link I can give it to you there.

Yes, rep ranges for quads and hams are higher now
  8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%

Thx big man. I will look on the IForce page. I don't FB so no help there...generational thing I guess. Lol
  9. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.31%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

Thx big man. I will look on the IForce page. I don't FB so no help there...generational thing I guess. Lol
    Meh, I don't have Facebook either AZ
    Serious Nutrition Solutions Representative
  10. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.74%

I cannot post links yet but the videos are all on the iForce Nutrition video page. If you post on my FB fan page wall and ask for the link I can give it to you there.

Yes, rep ranges for quads and hams are higher now
    Love following your journey/FB page dusty, you always have great stuff.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  11. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.25%

You have a long way to go
  12. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Okay, I am officially six days into prep and here is the starting point on the diet and supplements.

Wake-
    1 iForce Dexaprine
    2- TT33
    1 scoop iForce Compete

Cardio- 45 minutes walking at 3.6mph on a 7% incline

M1-
    3 scoops iForce Protean
    2 cups oats (I use coaches oats so it is actually 1.5 cups but still equals over 100g carbs)
    1- multi vitamin
    1 multi mineral

M2-
    10oz extra lean ground turkey
    2 cups rice
    8oz greens
    1 platinum enzyme

M3-
    10oz chicken (I do this for variety...same as turkey more or less)
    2 cups rice
    1 platinum enzyme
    1 multi vitamin

M4-
    1 cup rice
    8oz greens
    1 platinum enzyme

M5-
    1 cup rice

pre workout-
    1 scoop iForce Compete
    1 scoop iForce Conquer

Intra workout-
    1 scoop iForce Compete

Post workout-
    12oz greens

M7-
    10oz flank steak
    12oz greens
    1 digest platinum
    1 multi mineral

Before bed I take:
    2 iForce Lights Out
    1 tsp Liquid Chlorophyll

You will notice that for the moment all of my calories and more specifically carbs are "clean" foods. The reason for this is because my metabolism will shoot up soon and I like to have as much volume as possible when getting my calories in. I find that although delish when i eat more breads, and pop tarts I am starving almost immediately following a meal. By using rice the volume is pretty high and for the moment it keeps my stomach satisfied.

As a lot of people who follow me know I stay a lot smaller in the offseason and use my food and supplements to grow into the shows. Doing this not only gives my body a break and makes my everyday life more comfortable but it also keeps me looking better when I am at appearances for iForce Nutrition. Honestly I am the same as any meat head and get a bit self conscious when I am smaller at the big events but in all honesty I know it does not matter how big I look at an event unless it makes me better at my next show. At the end of the day I just feel i will see better results this route than if I had tried to push for a lot more size between Nationals in November and USA's in July...I guess time will tell.

DH~8
  13. On my grind
    Stats
    5'8"  182 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.74%

Lookin good thus far Dusty, i hope you continue to update this as i enjoy following along.
    E-Pharm Rep... PM me with any questions or concerns
  14. New Member
    Stats
    6'0"  235 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    22.46%

Subbed
  15. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Quote Originally Posted by 3clipseGT View Post
    Lookin good thus far Dusty, i hope you continue to update this as i enjoy following along.
    I will continue and I will update a lot more often as I get closer and the changes start coming.

Also be sure that you ask any and all questions you have as to why i do things the way I do. The idea here is to not only share what i do but also inspire some conversation and even debate.
  16. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.31%
    Achievements Activity VeteranActivity ProActivity AuthorityPosting ProPosting Authority

I will continue and I will update a lot more often as I get closer and the changes start coming.

Also be sure that you ask any and all questions you have as to why i do things the way I do. The idea here is to not only share what i do but also inspire some conversation and even debate.
    Awesome to learn from someone like yourself!

Is their a reason you cut carbs after your pre-workou meal?

I understand the carb/insulin/lypolosis (sp?) and not having carbs post workout can really prolong fat burning. I assume that's what you're going for and to set up depleted glycogen stores for am cardio.
  17. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Quote Originally Posted by Distilled Water View Post

I understand the carb/insulin/lypolosis (sp?) and not having carbs post workout can really prolong fat burning. I assume that's what you're going for and to set up depleted glycogen stores for am cardio.
    Interested in this answer also.

DH, what is your favorite Protean flavor?
  18. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.25%

Very good questions here!
  19. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%

So what does your daily fat macro total look like right now?
  20. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

All good points but honestly I feel people put WAY to much thought into all of that. I just like to get my carbs in earlier in the day when I am running around and hungry because they allow me more substance with my meals and I like the fatty meals at night because they tend to keep me more full so i do not wake up before it is time due to hunger pangs.

Quote Originally Posted by kbayne View Post
    Interested in this answer also.

DH, what is your favorite Protean flavor?
    I am all about the cupcake batter with vanilla mint swirl a close second.

So what does your daily fat macro total look like right now?
    I don't actually keep track of macros...never have. I just know what i am eating everyday and I know how to add to that or take away from that as far as calories and of course individual macros if needed. I am all about the K.I.S.S approach to bodybuilding...keep it simple stupid
  21. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.31%

Thanks for the reply dusty, much appreciated.
  22. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%

Funny you say that big man. I have never been a macro-manager either. I eat the same stuff and adjust accordingly. I forgot to ask how you like Conquer compared to Max Intense?
  23. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.25%

I'm the same way, I don't count, I just use my brain, remember and adjust each meal if need be.

Mike
  24. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Funny you say that big man. I have never been a macro-manager either. I eat the same stuff and adjust accordingly. I forgot to ask how you like Conquer compared to Max Intense?
    Honestly Conquer is head and shoulders above Max Intense for me personally because not only does it taste better but I am already noticing that I am getting more out of it for my workouts than Max Intense. For me the Intense stims hit me pretty hard which was good for some bodyparts but for the larger muscle groups i found myself only using 1/2 a serving to avoid the overstimmed feeling which meant I was losing some effectiveness from the other ingredients. I still mix the Conquer with my Compete pre workout and soon I will be adding Hemavol back into the mix as well so I will let you know what I think of the full stack.
  25. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

13 weeks out and things are starting to change. Obviously I am not pressing hard to get my condition in yet since I stay very lean and if anything a little light in the muscle department during my offseasons...especially this years offseason since I dieted through the early part of December. At this stage of my prep I can tell the training has been really hard not only because I am sore all over but also because I feel like I can sleep for days. Typicaly this is how it works for me during prep: In the beginning as I start pressing hard for growth as well as hitting the diet on the hard I feel exhausted from the training which allows me to sleep a ton BUT as the metabolism boosts up I tend to start losing the ability to sleep the long hours because no matter how many greens I bring in I wake up starving. Thankfully that has yet to happen and I am sleeping like I am in a coma.

This weekend I am heading out to LA for an iForce Nutrition appearance at Lindberg Nutrition and to train in Venice for three days with Chris Cormier. It is going to be an awesome weekend because I will have the chance to meet more fans of iForce Nutrition products, train in the Mecca, and get some great footage for my upcoming DVD which we are filming between now and the USA's.

DH~8
  26. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Hey Guys, I just got off the phone with Chris Cormier and he agreed to do another Q and A video with me this weekend while I am in Venice training with him. We did this a few months ago and I used questions that came from fans of my Facebook page. If you have any questions you would like me to ask Chris please post them up here and I will choose the most interesting ones and ask him for the video. Feel free to ask questions about anything from info from his career, how he trained, his greatest moments as a pro, all the way to how he approaches training his clients now or his views on the best training style. I am really hoping to get some awesome questions answered again so please ask away.

DH~8
  27. Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'9"  191 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    45.31%

Hey Guys, I just got off the phone with Chris Cormier and he agreed to do another Q and A video with me this weekend while I am in Venice training with him. We did this a few months ago and I used questions that came from fans of my Facebook page. If you have any questions you would like me to ask Chris please post them up here and I will choose the most interesting ones and ask him for the video. Feel free to ask questions about anything from info from his career, how he trained, his greatest moments as a pro, all the way to how he approaches training his clients now or his views on the best training style. I am really hoping to get some awesome questions answered again so please ask away.

DH~8
    Awesome!

I have a question....

Is there anything in his career he followed like the gospel in the beginning but changed later in his career?
  28. Professional Member
    Stats
    5'10"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    58.06%
    Achievements Activity ProActivity AuthorityActivity VeteranPosting Pro

DH~8
    I'd be interested in how long he sticks with any one practice, whether it be diet or training style, before changing due to lack of desired results
    It's BULKING season: http://anabolicminds.com/forum/workout-logs/254139-swol-boones-quest.html
  29. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%

What was his heaviest off season weight and heaviest competition weight?
  30. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.25%

What was his heaviest off season weight and heaviest competition weight?
    Dusty stays pretty lean all year, he takes his diet seriously almost 365 days of the year from what I see.Mike
  31. Diamond Member
    Stats
    6'0"  215 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    85.66%

Well, that question was for Chris but if DH wants to answer for himself that would be cool as well.
  32. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

What an INSANE weekend over in Venice! One thing that I think a lot of people do not know or cannot fully understand is how much things change as an athletes appearance schedule starts filling up more and more. I mean, we all know how focused a bodybuilder has to be 24/7/365 if they want to see the best gains from show to show but I personally had no idea how much more difficult that would become as my schedule started to fill up. Here is what my schedule looked like the late part of this week:

Wednesday-
    As always I woke up early and headed in to do my early morning cardio. From there I shot home and between my wife and myself got five of my six meals together to take to work. I worked my typical 11 hour day and during that time ate my first five meals. After work I came home and started prep on my meals for Thurs, Fri, Sat, and Sun. Obviously that meant preparing 24 meals that had to be cooked, weighed, chopped, bagged, and refrigerated prior to bed. Once that was all done I headed to the gym to hit my last workout before heading to LA the following afternoon.

Thursday-
    As always woke up and knocked out my morning cardio and after eating meal one and getting all of my luggage together headed into work. I worked until about 4:00pm when my wife came in with the rest of my meals packed and in the cooler so I could hit the road and she took over at the store. I drove to LA which takes me about five and a half hours door to door. Obviously I just want to get where I am going so during the trip I eat my food out of ziplock bags and don't bother with heating it. Got to my hotel about 10:30pm knocked out my last meal and packed up all of my food into the hotel fridge.

Friday-
    Wake up and hit my AM cardio. From there it was off to Sauce on Hampton for breakfast like I do everyday when I am in Venice. After breakfast ran to the mall to kill sometime before heading to Venice for my first posing practice of the weekend with Chris Cormier at Venice Golds. After posing I was off to Max Muscle to interview with Dave aka MadMax7 for MD. After we got that out of the way I was back to the hotel to get spray tanned and eat a couple more meals before heading back to Golds to shoot some instructional training video for NPC Online. As soon as that was done it was time to change really quick and start my training with Chris Cormier. I was pretty exhausted at this point but we knocked out a great shoulder workout and then it was back to the hotel to finish my meals and sleep for the night.

Saturday-
    As always we started out the day with morning cardio then it was off to Sauce on Hampton to eat meal 1. From there I went to the hotel and got my meals together for the day and grabbed a quick shower before heading off to my first appearance of the day at a store called Lindberg Nutrition. I was there between 11:00am and 1:30pm and from there I had thirty minutes to drive to there other location where I did a meet and greet with fans from 2:00-4:30pm. I had a great time meeting a bunch of fans and discussing their goals and changes they could make to their training and or nutrition to take them to the next level. From there it was back to the hotel to eat one more time and change into my training clothes before heading back to Golds. We shot Chris Cormiers Q and A at about 7:00pm and started training at about 7:30pm. On this day I was training quads and had two camera crews with us because we were filming both for iForce TV as well as for my DVD so it was a bit nuts. I decided to talk trash to Cormier throughout the training about never winning an Arnold Classic (even though I believe he deserved at least one win) and that encouraged him to put me through an entirely different kind of pain. The workout was brutal and was not over until about 9:30pm. After training we shot a wrapup video for iForce TV and then Iwas back to the hotel to knock out my final meals and crash.

Sunday-
    Once again it was morning cardio followed by breakfast at Sauce on Hampton but: today as soon as breakfast was done I headed over to Golds to meet with Cormier for an hour of hard posing. As soon as posing was over I dried off and changed into my training gear. We trained arms on Sunday and it was brutal. As we were training arms Chris and I discussed the fact that we had not had the chance to train hamstrings together so rather than wait for another day we decided as soon as I finished arms we would start a hamstring workout. Needless to say by the time the hamstring workout was done I was toast!!! Between posing, training two bodyparts, and the insane weekend I was just gassed at this point. Fortunately I had already packed my car for the ride home so as soon as I was done my assistant and I went to grab a quick bite and I was on the road back to Az by about 3:00pm. I met my wife at my gym in Scottsdale at 9:30pm to take progress pics for Aceto. Drove home from there to unpack, eat my last meal of the day, prep a few meals for Monday, and crashed.

As you can see these weekends are insane but if you want to make improvements you cannot let any part of your diet loosen up nor can you back down on your training one bit. Honestly for me sometimes this is easier said than done but I know I have to find a way and I believe I am getting better and better at getting that done with each trip.

DH~8
  33. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProActivity VeteranPosting ProPosting Authority

Just reading that was insane . What do you usually get from Sauce on Hampton for breakfast?
  34. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Just reading that was insane . What do you usually get from Sauce on Hampton for breakfast?
    PreContest I get 16 egg whites with tomato and spinach with a side of two cups oatmeal.

Off Season i get two of the breakfast burritos with extra lean ground turkey, 1 side chicken breast and two orders of yukon gold potatoes.
  35. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%

PreContest I get 16 egg whites with tomato and spinach with a side of two cups oatmeal.

Off Season i get two of the breakfast burritos with extra lean ground turkey, 1 side chicken breast and two orders of yukon gold potatoes.
    Both of those meals sound bomb!!! When do you think the Q&A will be posted up?
  36. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Both of those meals sound bomb!!! When do you think the Q&A will be posted up?
    Not sure when the first Q and A will be up but we will have more coming as well. Will post link here for sure
  37. Elite Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    95.52%

Not sure when the first Q and A will be up but we will have more coming as well. Will post link here for sure
    Awesome, thanks DH.
  38. Elite Member
    Stats
    5'1"  0 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    53.25%

Looking forward to that, you will be overwhelmed
  39. Advanced Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    44.64%

i wanted to say late but in! this is an awesome thread
  40. New Member
    Stats
    5'11"  295 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    42.18%

Quote Originally Posted by braskibra View Post
    i wanted to say late but in! this is an awesome thread
    Glad you are liking it but I promise it will get better and better as the suffering begins.

Similar Forum Threads

1. The Dusty Hanshaw Super Stack!
    By NutraPlanet CS in forum Nutraplanet
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 08-14-2010, 10:27 AM
  2. 6 weeks out pics to the USA!!
    By saxon299 in forum Pics
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-22-2010, 11:25 AM