Lets talk about Krill-TS (Krill Oil)

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established
Throughout the ‘80s, low fat diets were all the rage. Carbohydrates were in, fat was out, and protein held steady at a gram per pound of bodyweight. But even when low carb dieting came into fashion, and the Atkins Diet went mainstream, nobody really knew what to do with fats. Proponents of the Atkins Diet liked to brag that they were losing weight by eating bacon and eggs for breakfast and a steak for dinner; saturated fats were fine, as long as carb intake was kept low. Still, other then the vague recommendation to eat “healthy fats,” nobody gave much thought to the topic. Then in the ‘90s, fat supplements began appearing on the market, which was virtually unheard of previously. Conjugated Linoleic Acid was used for its anabolic properties, Flax Seed oil was used to reduce inflammation, and olive oil was used to lower cholesterol! All of these uses had a common denominator – fat was no longer being thought of as simply a macronutrient with 9 calories per gram, and instead was being explored as a compound with unique, drug-like, effects.

So what is Krill Oil? A krill is a small, shrimp like animal whose name translates from Norwegian to “whale food.” Krill is thought to be one of the largest biomasses in the world, even though their average size is about that of a paperclip. If you’ve ever had a fish tank, you may have used a Krill based fish food for your pets, and in the wild, it’s no different with this same animal providing sustainable food for the majority of marine life in the Antarctic and sub-Antarctic waters. Krill oil is processed from these tiny crustaceans, resulting in a product that is substantially different than traditional fish oil. It contains long chain heavily unsaturated fats, Omega 3 Fatty Acids, both attached and unattached to phospholipids, including docosahexaenoic acid (DHA) and eicosapentaenoic acid (EPA).

It also contains astaxanthin, and phosphatidylcholine, as well as vitamins A and E. Although it has been incorrectly claimed that Krill oil is a more highly concentrated source for DHA and EPA, that isn’t true. The fact is that Krill oil has less DHA and EPA than traditional fish oil, but a more robust spectrum of other nutrients. The result is that Krill oil is far more effective than traditional fish oil, but at a significantly lower dose. This means less pills per day for the average user, a higher cost effectiveness, and a lower price tag for a month’s supply. The key here is thought to be the increased bioavailability of the nutrients in Krill oil.

Why use krill oil? Krill has been shown to reduce inflammation. This is important because inflammation causes an immune-system reaction in the body to produce certain hormones that can reduce the swelling. And as you might have guessed, one of those hormones is cortisol, a catabolic (the opposite of anabolic) hormone that can stop muscle growth in its tracks. By taking enough Krill oil you can help make sure your body isn’t producing an excess of catabolic hormones. This is important not only for bodybuilders, but also for endurance athletes, and especially those playing a contact sport.

Krill oil has also been shown to reduce glucose, total cholesterol, triglycerides, LDL, and HDL. As a general health product it’s difficult to beat Krill oil, and if you’re steroid using athlete, then it’s even more important for you to supplement your diet with Krill. Anabolic steroids have been shown to negatively impact cholesterol and triglycerides, as well as other markers of health. Krill oil is a relatively inexpensive way to help combat those deleterious effects. And if you’re engaging in heavy weight training, long distance endurance work, or even if you’re simply an older trainee, then there’s even more benefits from taking Krill oil: it has been shown to reduce the onset and manifestation of certain forms of arthritis. This means sore joints could become a thing of the past, and that achy feeling that sometimes accompanies intense training can become a thing of the past. And the best thing about this stuff is the price – for less than $30 you can get a month’s supply.

Powercage

Powercage

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • Best Answer
Why are these Krill threads being spammed?

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I am a huge fan of krill oil. Being a manic depressive as most know it is recommended we take in 6 grams of quality fish oil a day to help with our mental health. I started taking krill oil now because it is less pills I take 3 caps one over serving size vs the 6 fish oil i would take daily. The caps are much smaller and do not leave that disgusting fish oil after taste, and for those of those who fish taste makes us ill this a great thing. I am actually going to start seeing if my doctor knows of more research on this, and if she does this see if any other patients do better on this than fish oil.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Why are these Krill threads being spammed? Company promo --->
I wouldn't go so far as to label it as spam. The NTBM store picked up Krill-TS and we're just trying to get the information out there about why we support the product and why it's beneficial. Plus, it's fun to say krill that sh*t as an added pun :)

Dwight Schrute

Dwight Schrute

I am faster than 80% of all snakes
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
We do keep it out.

A company can announce a new product in the supp section and sorry, I don't see all the ads in the supp forum section at all.

Please show me the ads:

http://anabolicminds.com/forum/supplements/

Its so funny you bitch about the ads yet you have one in your sig and you're a rep. Want the ads to go away? Then AM goes away. That simple.

Careful what you ask for.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I wouldn't go so far as to label it as spam. The NTBM store picked up Krill-TS and we're just trying to get the information out there about why we support the product and why it's beneficial. Plus, it's fun to say krill that sh*t as an added pun :)
I'm gonna Krill that sh*t

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good info in here Dark Half...

bla55

bla55

Awards
  • Established
I'm def gonna add some of this to my next purchase from NP...

Question though is, has anyone experimenting with "overdosing" on this? I for instance for Fish Oil take about 3 caps of 1200mg with each of my main 3 meals. Would there be benefits at taking this at a higher dosage as well?

JayV

Banned
Awards
I would label it as irritating as hell, and why I would never buy anything from NTBM and its merry band of parrots and shills.

MidwestBeast

MidwestBeast

AnabolicMinds Site Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I would label it as irritating as hell, and why I would never buy anything from NTBM and its merry band of parrots and shills.
I'm sorry you feel that way.

Unrelated, "merry band of parrots and shills" sounds like a Jimmy Buffett cover band...I like it :yup:

TheDarkHalf

TheDarkHalf

Awards
  • Established

Question though is, has anyone experimenting with "overdosing" on this? I for instance for Fish Oil take about 3 caps of 1200mg with each of my main 3 meals. Would there be benefits at taking this at a higher dosage as well?
I don't know if i'd recommend a high dose...too much of anything can be a bad thing

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established

I would just stick to 2 caps a day. If you want take a few extra fish oil, but just the 2 krill oil will be good

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I don't know if i'd recommend a high dose...too much of anything can be a bad thing
I agree with this. Two caps of krill a day....one AM and one PM. You can supplement that with a few extra caps of fish oil if you want some added benefit

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
I currently use two krill and 6 fish oil.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I currently use two krill and 6 fish oil.
That is provably how I will dose it when I pick up the krill, supplementing that with the fish oil

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
I will also be doing 1am and 1pm (upon waking and before bed). I believe Krill offers both more, and more potent, effect beneficial effects when compared to Fish Oil. However, I do still take Fish, Borage, and Evening Primrose Oil @ 12g/day (6am/6pm) to compliment the fatty acid and overall antioxidant, blood sugar modulating, and joint lubricating yield from taking the two in unison. 1g of Krill oil and 12g of assorted Fish/Borage etc oils truly did make a noticeable difference in my training and feeling of health.

Something I'm currently looking for to compliment my Need 2 Guard is a standalone blood pressure lowering herb, something like Celery Seed and Hawthorne Berry capped individually so I can consume ample amounts daily. I'm unsure, however, whether I should opt for the 500mg Celery caps and simply take more, or pay more for the 'Extract' version of Celery @ 75mg/cap. Need 2 Guard seems to have absolutely everything else easily taken care of, aside from my still elevated BP levels I have checked a couple times a week.

But back to the topic, Krill Oil, in my original research of the supplement, seems to also have one other advantage that I have always found very interesting. It is supposed to protect from sun damage to the skin, and being an avid tanner whether for pre-contest reasons or just because I look so much better and have a clearer complexion while tanning, I believe Krill Oil would be very helpful in the skin-health and resilience area.

N.Woods Giant

N.Woods Giant

Awards
  • Established
Interesting info, might have to swap the fish for krill sometime here

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I will also be doing 1am and 1pm (upon waking and before bed). I believe Krill offers both more, and more potent, effect beneficial effects when compared to Fish Oil. However, I do still take Fish, Borage, and Evening Primrose Oil @ 12g/day (6am/6pm) to compliment the fatty acid and overall antioxidant, blood sugar modulating, and joint lubricating yield from taking the two in unison. 1g of Krill oil and 12g of assorted Fish/Borage etc oils truly did make a noticeable difference in my training and feeling of health.

Something I'm currently looking for to compliment my Need 2 Guard is a standalone blood pressure lowering herb, something like Celery Seed and Hawthorne Berry capped individually so I can consume ample amounts daily. I'm unsure, however, whether I should opt for the 500mg Celery caps and simply take more, or pay more for the 'Extract' version of Celery @ 75mg/cap. Need 2 Guard seems to have absolutely everything else easily taken care of, aside from my still elevated BP levels I have checked a couple times a week.

But back to the topic, Krill Oil, in my original research of the supplement, seems to also have one other advantage that I have always found very interesting. It is supposed to protect from sun damage to the skin, and being an avid tanner whether for pre-contest reasons or just because I look so much better and have a clearer complexion while tanning, I believe Krill Oil would be very helpful in the skin-health and resilience area.
Nice info Outstanding! It seems like I'm learning more benefits of krill every day!

Torobestia

Torobestia

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
What property of fish oil grants it its joint lubricating properties, anyways? Is it the EPA/DHA, or is it something else? I ask because I've been taking some pretty concentrated fish oil caps, using 6x/day with 540mg EPA and 360mg DHA. Wondering if this will have different effects from taking about 10x/day of the normal dosed ones (180/120 EPA/DHA).

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
It's the EPA/DHA, but the type in Krill oil is a phospholipid which is the type of lipid naturally in your body (~5x better absorption and use). To be honest though, mega dosing fish oil should get you the same effect for joints as Krill. However, that won't provide the other benefits that were mentioned in this and other threads. Also you'll be taking more pills and ingesting more fat, and fish oils are not as shelf stable as krill, but that may not be important to some people.
I'd advocate using both Krill and Fish Oil to get the best of both worlds, and make sure your EPA/DHA levels are high enough (~2g daily).
  • I'd EPA And DHA Decreased Inflammation: Studies show that EPA and DHA are more effective than ALA for decreasing several inflammatory markers. EPA and DHA also increase some anti-inflammatory markers such as IL-10, TGFbeta.
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids Decrease the Progression Of Osteoarthritis: EPA and DHA inhibit the expression of various proteins that contribute to osteoarthritis. In addition, petri dish studies indicate that the omega 3 fatty acids, ALA and EPA decrease both the destruction and inflammatory aspects of cartilage cell metabolism. Omega 3 fatty acids are incorporated into cartilage cell (chondrocyte) membranes and in a dose dependent manner they decrease enzymes that degrade cartilage and inflammatory cytokines (IL-1alpha, TNF-alpha, COX-2) thereby affecting cartilage cell gene transcription.
  • Decreased Risk of Bone Marrow Lesions: A study in 293 adults without osteoarthritis, some with and some without knee pain, found that higher intakes of monounsaturated fatty acids or omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids were associated with an increased risk of bone marrow lesions. This study lends further support to the recommendation to balance fat intake and shift toward foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids while decreasing intake of omega 6 fatty acids.
  • Omega 3s Help Other Aspects Of Joint Health: Omega 3 fatty acids decrease symptoms of morning stiffness, tender or swollen joints and joint pain. They can also help increase blood flood during exercise.

Steelwolf

Steelwolf

Awards
  • Established
It's the EPA/DHA, but the type in Krill oil is a phospholipid which is the type of lipid naturally in your body (~5x better absorption and use). To be honest though, mega dosing fish oil should get you the same effect for joints as Krill. However, that won't provide the other benefits that were mentioned in this and other threads. Also you'll be taking more pills and ingesting more fat, and fish oils are not as shelf stable as krill, but that may not be important to some people.
I'd advocate using both Krill and Fish Oil to get the best of both worlds, and make sure your EPA/DHA levels are high enough (~2g daily).
  • I'd EPA And DHA Decreased Inflammation: Studies show that EPA and DHA are more effective than ALA for decreasing several inflammatory markers. EPA and DHA also increase some anti-inflammatory markers such as IL-10, TGFbeta.
  • Omega 3 Fatty Acids Decrease the Progression Of Osteoarthritis: EPA and DHA inhibit the expression of various proteins that contribute to osteoarthritis. In addition, petri dish studies indicate that the omega 3 fatty acids, ALA and EPA decrease both the destruction and inflammatory aspects of cartilage cell metabolism. Omega 3 fatty acids are incorporated into cartilage cell (chondrocyte) membranes and in a dose dependent manner they decrease enzymes that degrade cartilage and inflammatory cytokines (IL-1alpha, TNF-alpha, COX-2) thereby affecting cartilage cell gene transcription.
  • Decreased Risk of Bone Marrow Lesions: A study in 293 adults without osteoarthritis, some with and some without knee pain, found that higher intakes of monounsaturated fatty acids or omega 6 polyunsaturated fatty acids were associated with an increased risk of bone marrow lesions. This study lends further support to the recommendation to balance fat intake and shift toward foods rich in omega 3 fatty acids while decreasing intake of omega 6 fatty acids.
  • Omega 3s Help Other Aspects Of Joint Health: Omega 3 fatty acids decrease symptoms of morning stiffness, tender or swollen joints and joint pain. They can also help increase blood flood during exercise.
NICE!!!

RJW719

RJW719

Awards
  • Established
Nice, good info

Outstanding

Awards
  • Established
Started back up on Krill Oil last week at 1g/day, after a semi-long 'hiatus' I took (about 6 weeks) due to budgetary adherence. I have to say I feel more 'vital' after nearly 2 weeks of use at this point, although I did add in additional hawthorne berry, celery seed, and some super cayenne to compliment my Need 2 Guard and add in some thermogenic power :)

chocolatemilk

chocolatemilk

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I have some bad ass shin splints which come up if I do running for 2-3 days in a row. Every time I mega dose fish oil at 10g/day, I can run for 5 days in a row without feeling the shin splints. I think it's the decrease in inflammation that fish oil is known for.

Would Krill oil help with this as well? If so, what's a good dose for Krill Milas? I'm getting some next month to see how they do with the shins...

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
I'm curious if more fish oil is needed to achieve the cognitive benefits that are provided with standardized fish oil supplementation.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
1-2g krill is good. I think the best value is 1g krill with 5g fish oil daily.

RickRock13

RickRock13

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I think 500mg 2x ED is the normal dose of Krill. I agree with throwing in another 4 to 6g of fish oil on top of that to get all the benefits

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Nice, nice. I'm glad to read up on all the information on the joint inflammation assistance with this. I plan on using curcumin again and I am hoping that curcumin and krill oil will be enough to do the trick for my joints. I'm dropping so much money on supps that I really don't want to be spending another 35 bucks on something like Super Cissus (which I really enjoy). ;) Thank you gentlemen for informing us all.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Be sure to get curcumin with piperine, it increases absorption by 2000%!

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Be sure to get curcumin with piperine, it increases absorption by 2000%!
Right on. I get the one called 'Super Curcumin' that has the 5mg Bioperine.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Good deal, curcumin is such a good general health supplement. Hope it all works well for you.

Force of Green

Force of Green

Awards
  • Established
Thank you sir. I've been getting so many packages in the mail for supps lately. I'll probably just end up going to the local V-Shoppe and picking up a bottle.

Milas

Milas

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Thank you sir. I've been getting so many packages in the mail for supps lately. I'll probably just end up going to the local V-Shoppe and picking up a bottle.
I hear you, I have to wait for my wife to be out of town to order more!