MST's Weekly Weigh-In #6 - Win a FREE bottle of ZMK

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Welcome to the new weekly contest from the folks here at MST! The rules are simple...we will pose a question each week and we will be taking the answer that we like the most at the end of the week as the winner of the contest. You can post as many times as you like and this contest will end each week on Saturday morning and start each week on Sunday night. You are not required to log the item that you win, but we will not be upset if you choose to log. The call is completely yours!

This week's prize = 1 FREE bottle of ZMK

Week #6!!!

Category - Sporting (kind of)

Question - What is your favorite event at the Strongman Competiton and Why?

Thanks everyone and remember, there is no right or wrong answer here....lets just have some fun with it!!

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This is brutal and I love it!! This takes the old Drop Set in a new direction...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_cTNdULsE4"]YouTube - Granite St Drop Squat - Keg loaded[/ame]

Resolve

Resolve

The BPS Rep
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
I can only pick one?! Hmm... Well, my favorites are the deadlift for time, tire flip, McGlashen Stones and Farmer's Walks.

However, going for only one of those, I have to pick Farmer's Walks. They're awesome as a strongman lift, but practical for every lifter, and don't require any special equipment - just DBs or some Ez Curl Bars.

As a strongman event, walking while holding 400+ lbs is just freaking impressive, given that most guys can't even DL that. And considering that the event can be done for time or distance, it's quite versatile in the torture it offers to competitors. It's certainly not as dramatic as, say, the log press, caber toss, or car pull, but the sheer tenacity and strength endurance that Farmer's Walks require makes it a favorite.

For the average trainee, who isn't going to be competing in a strongman comp, Farmer's Walks still rock. Like HIIT? Try speed-walking with a 125lb DB in one hand, without allowing your core to bend or other arm to extend, and tell me that doesn't make your heart rate skyrocket and BF% drop! Wanna improve your deadlift? The extended grip-work and core activation of FWs will go a long way to get you pulling new PRs. And improved grip translates to bigger forearms and I mean, c'mon, everybody wants forearms like Irish Cannon's. :)

Edit: I don't even know if I'm qualified to win this, but I don't care - I like strongman comps! Sometimes I feel I missed my calling and should just go pick up super heavy stuff...

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
mine is the car deadlift

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KN_jJqGeiBk"]YouTube - Mariusz Pudzianowski vs Kevin Nee[/ame]

its just awesome to watch

capnsavem

capnsavem

Awards
  • Established
oh man... the Stones!!!!

1st off, just wrapping your arms around one of those spherical boulders has got to be so damn tough in itself, but i love how thats usually the last event and it'll determine the champion!!!

these guys have to dig deep after literally lifting thousands upon thousands of pounds during the previous grueling events, and you can see it in there faces that they fully intend to put the stone on the stand or lose their life trying!!!

it's incredible to watch such feats of raw strength after there bodies are broken from the gauntlet that they've been through!

rabbievil

rabbievil

Awards
i like the hollowed out car frame walk.lots of muscle guys could not do this event.

Cpo

Cpo

Awards
  • Established
Week #6!!!

Category - Sporting (kind of)

Question - What is your favorite event at the Strongman Competiton and Why?

My favorite event is the tractor pull. I know, most people think it would be easy as long as you can keep the momentum going but I think its a true show of overall strength. Every event is either a carry this to that spot and back, this event I think is very unique and rare.
It would be great to be in one of those conversations that go like this:

"Hey man, what did you do today" says stongman competitor "You would never belive it! I learned to do a double front flip today" says friend "Really?, sweet" says stongman competitor

What about you?" says friend. "Oh the usual, I pulled a tractor trailer blah blah feet in 30seconds."

You know these guys are big and strong as heck, but I can still scratch my own back! (I'm sorry, I am very jealous.)

Kevin R

Awards
  • Established
Deadlift

I like seeing the deadlift because it is a classic exercise but they often put a spin on it.

For instance:

That is just pure entertainment and fun to watch. Also, it is something people at home can compare themselves to and realize how amazing these athletes really are. Not often can the guy at home on the catch compare the size of the car he farmer walked the other day.

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Keg toss. It crazy the strength, endurance, and coordination need to do this. Use too much energy on the early 1s then get burned late. Plus finding ways to chip away time. I just think its awesome watching kegs flying in the air to be honest.

edvanp

edvanp

Awards
  • Established
Keg toss. It crazy the strength, endurance, and coordination need to do this. Use too much energy on the early 1s then get burned late. Plus finding ways to chip away time. I just think its awesome watching kegs flying in the air to be honest.
Gotta agree with Tomahawk, the keg toss rules! And if a kilt is involved, added bonus!

Attachments

monstermash

monstermash

Awards
  • Established
farmer's walk

strength, grip, endurance, breathing techniques, coordination and concentration.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Bump....why doesnt that idiot choose the winner already?!?!

ps - winner will be posted today.

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Thanks for the entries everyone. I have to say that I was very dissapointed at the lack of entries this week, and I sure hope if this contest continues, that we will see the activity levels pick up.

The winner for this week is going to be = Resolve....because the answer simply speaks for itself. He went into great detail explaining his decision and on top of that, he actually seemed very excited about the question in general. I don't normally like to pick people for multiple things so soon....but this was deserved.

Re-PM me your info bud

AZMIDLYF

AZMIDLYF

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Congrats R!!

Tomahawk88

Tomahawk88

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
we have laid off of them for a few weeks because the response wasn't quite what we were looking for. We'll be starting them back up soon!
Awesome I love throwing out my random as hell thoughts :cheers:

CTDeuce

CTDeuce

MST Reppin Hard!
Awards
  • Established
Awesome I love throwing out my random as hell thoughts :cheers:
yeah well, that was the point of these, haha. A :cool3: way to get some free supplements just for keeping the forum jumping. I guess a lot of people don't like free supps anymore?!

LoPips20

LoPips20

Awards
My favorite event has to be the keg toss for a variety of reasons. First and formost I personally feel the keg toss is the most athletic event in the competetion. All the other events are awesome to watch and incredibly difficult, but they all focus on pure strength, where the keg toss demonstrates the combination of strength with explosiveness. We have all seen guys that can bench the house and squat the house, but what percentage of those guys have been able to combine it to be a super athlete... not many.

Another reason the keg toss is my favorite event is you are tossing a keg, the thing that holds all the beer you gave up to get to such a optimal physical point.