jamesatba diary

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
after what seems like forever i'm back !!!!!!!

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
Dear James,

You are welcome to share your training, exercise, nutritional or even your "Dear" Diary. On the other hand this is not the place for you to set up shop and begin doling out solicited or even unsolicited advice on any of the above.

Please be advise that if this thread takes one turn in the direction that the last two did it will be deleted again and you will be asked to leave. You have been asked before to not start up another thread of this nature. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you will completely understand and abide by this request.

Additionally all members have been warned regarding flaming and abuse

Thank you in advance for your understanding.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
Jay Edit: Underaged discussion of research and other illegal substances is against our rules... Please take time to brush up on them before your stay here goes the way of the Dodo.

Jayhawkk

Jayhawkk

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
James, B5150 has been very, very forgiving and understanding. If you're wanting to have actual discussion in this thread then you need to have it. If you're looking for reasons to argue your points to the board Administrator and his Moderators... You're going to lose. You need to chose before the options are no longer at your disposal.

Thank you.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
after reading the mods post(which i do not agree with) i have decied to try and make it work.i will try to take the high road and let this diary stuff go.let the questions come

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
after reading the mods post(which i do not agree with) i have decied to try and make it work.i will try to take the high road and let this diary stuff go.let the questions come
JAmes you could not have read the post or maybe you have a comprehension problem. If and when you post something with a closer "let the questions begin" it seems like you still do not get the point. Read it again one more time. Continue as you will but understand the following very clearly.
Dear James,

You are welcome to share your training, exercise, nutritional or even your "Dear" Diary. On the other hand this is not the place for you to set up shop and begin doling out solicited or even unsolicited advice on any of the above.

Please be advise that if this thread takes one turn in the direction that the last two did it will be deleted again and you will be asked to leave. You have been asked before to not start up another thread of this nature. I am giving you the benefit of the doubt that you will completely understand and abide by this request.

Additionally all members have been warned regarding flaming and abuse

Thank you in advance for your understanding.
What this says to you is that you are not here to take questions from anyone. If you desire to keep a training journal, do it, If you desire to keep a diet journal, do it. If you desire to keep a "Dear Diary", do it.

So let me help you with am example;

Monday:

Chest and Back

BB Bench Press:
185 x 8, 8, 6

DB Bend Press
65 x 8, 8, 6

Pull Ups
BW x 8, 8, 6

Bent Rows:
185 x 8, 8, 6

Diet:
3300 calories
300g protein
300g carbs
1009 fat

Comments:
Had a great work out. Great pump. A couple PR's today. Felt real good. Can't wait for tomorrows workout.

Thanks for following my workout journal.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
To all other members. The next guy other than james that comes in here and posts anything aside from topic questions is banned for a week. You have all been told repeatedly.

James you are free to post what you want as long as you do not break board rules, do as you will, buddy.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
James.
  1. What is your diet like?
  2. What is your protein intake?
  3. Tell me the sources of protein.
  4. What is your carbohydrate intake?
  5. Tell me your carbohydrate sources.
  6. What is your fat intake?
  7. Tell me your fat sources?
  8. What sort of training method are you using?
  9. Do you focus on eccentric or concentric?
  10. What are your thoughts on periodization?
  11. What are your thoughts on progressive overload?
  12. What are your thoughts on stretching?
  13. What are your thoughts on volume training?
  14. What are your rest intervals?
  15. Do you do drop sets?
  16. Do you pyramid?
  17. Do you do negatives?
  18. Do you train for hypertrophy?
  19. Do you train for functional strength?
  20. Over your years of training have you had any injuries?
  21. What sort of things do you do to prevent injuries?
  22. Do you use straps and gloves for lifting?
  23. Do you prefer free weights over machines?
  24. Do you do cardio to warm up?
  25. Do you do cardio to cool down?
  26. Do you train with a partner?
  27. How often do you train?
  28. How often do you decondition?
  29. Do your experience DOMS?
  30. Do you cook your own food?
  31. What are your thoughts on sugars?
  32. What are your thoughts on High Fructose Corn Syrup?
  33. What are your thoughts on NSAID and hypertrophy?
  34. What is your specialty regarding personal training?
  35. Do you have a degree in sports nutrition?
  36. Do you have a degree in personal training?
  37. Do you currently use a personal trainer?

James I would like an answer to every one of the previous questions when you get the chance. Please provide references when possible and do not provide your opinion but rather back it up with some research studies or medical literature if you would please. Thanks a bunch for helping me out. I'll post up some more later when I get your answer to every one of my questions.

EDIT: I need you to wok with me big guy. I am counting on you to do your part. This is your "put-up or shut-up" opportunity. Don't let me down.

Also I want to see your training journal posted with an update after every days training including off days. I am counting on you. This is your thread for you. Be the best you can be. Keep it up and keep it good. Others are watching.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
James.
  1. What is your diet like?
  2. What is your protein intake?
  3. Tell me the sources of protein.
  4. What is your carbohydrate intake?
  5. Tell me your carbohydrate sources.
  6. What is your fat intake?
  7. Tell me your fat sources?
  8. What sort of training method are you using?
  9. Do you focus on eccentric or concentric?
  10. What are your thoughts on periodization?
  11. What are your thoughts on progressive overload?
  12. What are your thoughts on stretching?
1.meal 1 6 eggs.meal 2 6 and 1 half onuce tuna.meal 3,same as meal 2.meal 4,same as meal 2.meal 5,8-12 ounce beef,nuts.meal 6
same as meal 2.this is what my diet is like.fish oils and evening primrose are taken thoughtout day.

question 2: 150-200 grams a day.

question 3: tuna ,eggs ,beef

question 4:very little to none.

question 5:no sources of carbs

question 6:40-60 grams a day

question 7: few nuts,fish oil,organic peanut butter.

question 8,hit follow by higher volum for a few months,then back.higher volum equals 15-20 sets a bodypart.

question 9: both.

question 10: valid,as you see by my training.this is because one type of training provieds myocyte growth mostly,while the other(volum)encourges capillary bed formation.both lend to bigger muscles.

question 11:I belive in PO up to a point.however i do belive that there are flauts in this theory.

question 12:muscle fasica is very tough,and i have no doubt that weighted streching can loosen this.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Very good James.

I want to clarify my points on periodization and progressive overload to see if we are in agreement or can enlighten eachother.

To me periodization in practical application is training in cycles. A cycle consists of a period of say 6-8 or 10 week in which I will train at a specific repetition range. So say for the first 6, 8 or 10 weeks cycle I train at 15 rep range, then the next 10-12 rep range, then the next 6-8 rep range...I do not train any lower than 6 rep work.

What do you feel is the optimal period of time before adaptation sets in. My thoughts are about the 8 week point or so from my personal experience. It is either due to physiological issues, CSN issues or boredom. What are your thoughts on the matter of adaptation?

So withing those 6 to 8 weeks cycle of a specific rep range I need to prgressively increase my weights and or reps to continue to progressively overload my muscle.

Just for example:

BB Bench Press - 10 to 12 rep range
Week 1 - 200lbs x 12, 10, 10
Week 2 - 200lbs x 12, 12, 10
Week 3 - 200lbs x 12, 12, 12
Week 4 - 205lbs x 12, 10, 10
Week 5 - 205lbs x 12, 12, 10
Week 6 - 205lbs x 12, 12, 12
Week 7 - 210lbs x 12, 10, 10
Week 8 - 210lbs x 12, 12, 10
Week 9 - 210lbs x 12, 12, 12
Week 10 - etc

Do you follow?

EDIT: The start point of the first week is a first set of a maximum if 12 repetitions...maximum. The following 2 sets are preformed as close to maximum repetitions as possible avoiding going to failure (I cannot go to failure, I train alone without a spotter). When I can complete an entire 3 sets at 12 repetitions I will bump the weight and begin again at a start point of 12 repetitions maximum..and so on I proceed. It does not alwasy bump up weekly and some times it does. Some times even sooner depending upon recovery and diet and supplements. Meaning If I can perform more than 12 reps at the first set at a following week I will immediately bump the weight for the second and proceed.

Most very important is a very consistent rest period between sets. A rest period of exactly 120 seconds is what I use. Obviously anything greater will increase my recovery and improve my subsequent sets. Anything less will obviously diminish my subsequent set.

This requires very precise documentation and attention to the minute detail every time I train.

Additionally what are your thoughts on hypertrophy specifically in terms of TUT and the eccentric movement?

Many feel that hypertrophy and strength training are not performed efficiently simultaneously. What are your thought regarding that.

Additionally, I look forwrd to your repsonses to the other number of questions. Feel free to post them all in one post where possible.

Thanks.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
your message was very well thought out.thank you.my views on periodazation are a little different.i view per. as what type of training your doing,not rep range.thus HIT,POF,DC ect.i also try and only take as much rest time as needed,and execpt on legs and back i doubt this go's over 60 sec.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Come on James, as you can see I have an ability to quench the flame(rs).

Don't leave me hanging here. Lets talk "shop"!

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Come on James, as you can see I have an ability to quench the flame(rs).

Don't leave me hanging here. Lets talk "shop"!
B, i know i'm not james but you were referring to TUT and the eccentric part of the rep movement in an earlier post here.

In your humble opinion and your many years of lifting experience, would you say the younger/noob trainers do not concentrate enough on the eccentric part of the movement and are more inclined to bounce the weight up with quick movements as it allows more weight to be moved?

the eccentric part of the movement for me is very controlled and it's something i don't even have to focus on anymore and comes real natural when hitting a decent set but i started lifting in 1990 so i've had a bit of time to get it together.

james, any input here, being a younger trainer?

:thumbsup:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
B, i know i'm not james but you were referring to TUT and the eccentric part of the rep movement in an earlier post here.

In your humble opinion and your many years of lifting experience, would you say the younger/noob trainers do not concentrate enough on the eccentric part of the movement and are more inclined to bounce the weight up with quick movements as it allows more weight to be moved?

the eccentric part of the movement for me is very controlled and it's something i don't even have to focus on anymore and comes real natural when hitting a decent set but i started lifting in 1990 so i've had a bit of time to get it together.

james, any input here, being a younger trainer?

:thumbsup:
First of all, I need not be flattered to solicit a response. But I do enjoy it from time to time :D

I have roughly 7 years uninterrupted experience. You have more experience than I do. But we both strive for knowledge.

I would certainly say that many noobs, inexperienced and experienced lifters are moving weight. I see it every day at the gym. Guys half my age, half my size moving twice or more my weights. It does not take a scientist to realize that weight is being bounced and there is no loading or overloading of muscle fibers.

Personally I train alone. No spotter. No nada. So I can only train withing reasonable safety parameters. This has forced me to develop and implement strategies to produce hypertrophy. It is my understanding that TUT is a major factor to do so. So I have utilized both TUT and Volume work to achieve this.

Additionally it is my understanding that different body parts have different muscle fiber types. I am not a physiology student so don't quote me. They respond differently and require different loads to stimulate them.

I have employed various forms of TUT with success. Lately things like negatives have proven to be very successful in bringing up my bicep density.

I am not at all opposed to heavy weights with less eccentric. I do at times feel like I would really benefit from a partner for a period of 6 weeks or more training cycle of sets of 4-6 to failure with less TUT and more forced reps. It would fit in with my idea of periodization. The thing is I don't have a partner right now so I make do with what I have.

Most of all please remember that I am an "AM rules authority and enforcer" and not an authority on supplements, nutrition and training. I experiment and learn new things all the time.

I too would be interested in what James has to say.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
speaking from my experiences ad a young trainer I certainly focus on it much more than movement of weight. Weight means nothing without it IMO.I am a person who is big on volume so combining the 2 plays huge success for me. My thoughts are similar to yours b1

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
speaking from my experiences ad a young trainer I certainly focus on it much more than movement of weight. Weight means nothing without it IMO.I am a person who is big on volume so combining the 2 plays huge success for me. My thoughts are similar to yours b1
it shows in your physique bro, keep it up

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Personally I train alone. No spotter. No nada. So I can only train withing reasonable safety parameters. This has forced me to develop and implement strategies to produce hypertrophy. It is my understanding that TUT is a major factor to do so. So I have utilized both TUT and Volume work to achieve this.

Additionally it is my understanding that different body parts have different muscle fiber types. I am not a physiology student so don't quote me. They respond differently and require different loads to stimulate them.
i too train alone, try and get to the gym about 6.30am and it's pretty empty so even trying to get a decent spot is hard to find so i don't bother and adjust to suit my solo status.

i also agree that different body parts require different forms of "attack" as they each were all designed for different jobs and requirements, not to mention that some pull and others push.

one thing however that remains a constant and that's regardless , it's correct form and honest movement, cheating only hurts gains unless it's on the last rep and if you don't cheat the bar up you'll end up eating it but only as a last resort! lol

cheers

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
i do belive some trainers neglect the negitive and thus lose much of the postive effects of weightlifting.this does not seem to be a age thing however,as large groups of people seem to do this.i recently shot a leg video on a nataius leg press with well over half the stack,nearly 3/4 yet look at my number of reps and see i was haveing plenty of time under tension.also(execpt for my max sets)
i tend to try to prolong the neg. in order to get maximall anabolic results.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
i do belive some trainers neglect the negitive and thus lose much of the postive effects of weightlifting.this does not seem to be a age thing however,as large groups of people seem to do this.i recently shot a leg video on a nataius leg press with well over half the stack,nearly 3/4 yet look at my number of reps and see i was haveing plenty of time under tension.also(execpt for my max sets)
did you say you were on the keto diet james?

what does that consist of, i'm somewhat a dinosaur when it comes to all these new fandango diets and training philosophies that seem to be around these days, i lift, i eat and i sleep and that's about it for me on the scientfic front.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHWmR3J3mzQ"> </param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rHWmR3J3mzQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="425" height="350"> </embed> </object>

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
think this one's heavyier weight and few reps though.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is so very cool James!

I admire your dedication and discipline. Setting up a camera to capture video of yourself...very damned cool!

You got your sh it together my man :thumbsup:

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
nothing wrong with that form, i'm seeing a full range of motion.

i'm liking the james dairy, cheers james for giving it a go

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Where is that leg press machine? I've never seen one like that before. Is that at a gym? I'm not hearing any 'totally awesome' gym music. How much weight was that?
Yes I do ask 1001 questions.

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Where is that leg press machine? I've never seen one like that before. Is that at a gym? I'm not hearing any 'totally awesome' gym music. How much weight was that?
SB, there are are sh*tload of leg press variations

in all the gyms i've worked out in, in my 18 years of lifting, i have rarely heard awesome music playing, except at private gyms, closed gyms and working out after hours or when i've decided to take over the radio because i worked there.

most gyms play radio music or general pop crap

that's why there are mp3 players and before that a thing called a walkman.

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
in all the gyms i've worked out in, in my 18 years of lifting, i have rarely heard awesome music playing
Hence my quotey quotes on 'totally awesome' :) Gym music sucks. But I had never seen a leg press machine that had that monster beam going across the top like that. I'm guessing it's for structural stability, but it just looks menacing.

I need to invest in headphones and gym shorts with pockets, otherwise I'm stuck with Fergie or Journey. :frustrate

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
Hence my quotey quotes on 'totally awesome' :) Gym music sucks. But I had never seen a leg press machine that had that monster beam going across the top like that. I'm guessing it's for structural stability, but it just looks menacing.

I need to invest in headphones and gym shorts with pockets, otherwise I'm stuck with Fergie or Journey. :frustrate
i hear you on the music front but these days i hardly register it, i got f*ck all time to workout so i'm pretty full on just hitting what i have to

that leg press looks real old school, probably circa 1970's but it still looks like it does the job, james is belting out some decent reps with the entire stack, go james!! young powerhouse!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
ii recently shot a leg video on a nataius leg press with well over half the stack,nearly 3/4 yet look at my number of reps and see i was haveing plenty of time under tension.also(execpt for my max sets)
I would also like to point out that it is my understanding that exercise in and of itself in catabolic. Your nutrition and or supplementation are what produce or promote an anabolic environment. Trying to prolong the negative (aka: eccentric) is what promotes hypertrophy.The bodies nutritional status determines anabolism.

skunkman

Awards
Wow, all I can say is that stuff like this is anabolic minds at it's finest. Talk about encouragement and grace.

I would also like to apologize for being somewhat of an antagonist in your last thread James. Keep up the good work man!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
I would also like to point out that it is my understanding that exercise in and of itself in catabolic. Your nutrition and or supplementation are what produce or promote an anabolic environment. Trying to prolong the negative (aka: eccentric) is what promotes hypertrophy.The bodies nutritional status determines anabolism.
Regarding catabolism and exercise, James, do you supplement anything intraworkout to help slow down catabolism? BCAAs, Beta-Alanine, Cissus?

You look leaner in this most recent video than you did in some of the older ones that you posted. I think you were close to around 200 lbs in those older vids, are you still right around the same weight?

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
wanted to clear up a few things so here goes.yes,my gym plays 70,80 rock,and it's great!!!!!
yes,i'm banging out reps,but not with the whole stack(plan to change that soon)still probably about 3/4.
i'm 215/216 and learner than yast year.growth has been great!
got pics of me at close to 227,about 4-5 weeks ago.
yes, i'm on a ketogenic diet,which means high pro.,medium fats,and almost noexiant carbs.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
no bcaa,no ci,nothing.
i'm not even takeing protien powder right now.only real supp. i take on consitant basis is fish oils,EFA

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
got new pics up 4-5 weeks ago at high of bulk!check em out!!!!!

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
For your curls, if you had a wider stance would that possibly lessen that involuntary movement towards the end of your set?

If it would lessen the focus of the lift on your biceps someone please chime in. I don't want to suggest bad form.

bLacKjAck.

bLacKjAck.

Lift Heavy
Awards
  • Established
You should also try curling the DB's at the same some and not letting it fall at the bottom of your movement, thus giving the muscle a good 3-4 seconds rest b/w each rep.

Curl them at the same time, don't come all the way up or all the way down to the point that there is no stress on the bicep. Just a little tip for ya there killer...

vince spider

vince spider

Awards
  • Established
i didnt really see anything wrong with james form
keep it up:bruce2:

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Consider loosing the swinging momentum that you have. Execute each one individually. I don't like the exercise personally.

Excellent video James!

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
James-

When you are performing standing dumbbell curls, you need to pretend that your elbow is hinged and keep it pointing downward at all times.

Your elbows were moving back and forth, so the tension on your bicep is very short.

I prefer laying on an incline bench.

jamesatba

jamesatba

Awards
what you don't see is me doing arm blaster curls after this vid.this should add in alot of the strictness you didn't see on dumb curls

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
what you don't see is me doing arm blaster curls after this vid.this should add in alot of the strictness you didn't see on dumb curls
the good old arm blaster, those things used to rock, i haven't seen one of those since my first gym closed down back in '93

b unit

b unit

Awards
  • Established
IMHO i think the form on those curls is ok and better than i see from 90% of people curling db's

props james
:clap2:

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
IMHO i think the form on those curls is ok and better than i see from 90% of people curling db's
Am I the only one that thought of Ice Cube?

You can do it, put your back into it!!

Seriously though, I hear ya b. I saw one today that made MY back hurt just by watching him. I thought he was going to snap his spine. He was turning curls into a total body lift.