Any Help

gatorade4

Awards
So I'm 5 foot 9 and 130 lbs. I've always been the smallest and skinniest kid out of all my friends and i just want to gain some muscle mass.

Not necessarily gain a whole bunch of weight, but definitely some muscle definition especially in the arms and chest.

Any suggestions, routines, or tips would be helpful because I've never really spent any time in the weight room so I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
So I'm 5 foot 9 and 130 lbs. I've always been the smallest and skinniest kid out of all my friends and i just want to gain some muscle mass.

Not necessarily gain a whole bunch of weight, but definitely some muscle definition especially in the arms and chest.

Any suggestions, routines, or tips would be helpful because I've never really spent any time in the weight room so I don't know what I'm doing.

Thanks
Are you training at all at the moment?

gatorade4

Awards
No I pretty much have zero muscle definition, and that's what I'm shooting for.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Established
  • Legend!
No I pretty much have zero muscle definition, and that's what I'm shooting for.
Well first getting adequate protein intake is a must. Most will train either full body 3x a week, or do 1-2 muscle a day. I recommend you start with a basic full body workout......going from largest muscle to smallest..ex. Legs, back, chest , shoulders, tri, bi's, calfs. Focus on basic movements starting....legs= leg press, Back = seated row, chest = seated chest press(machine), shoulders= side dumbell lateral raises, Triceps= tricep pushdown(cable), biceps= standind bi curls with dumbells....calfs optional at the start of a program.

look up any exercise you dont recognize, as google will help you with that. Feel free to PM me if you need any further help.

~Trip

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
On top of what Trip said, eat! Eat even more than you do normally since you'll be lifting make sure you take in adequate protein and carbs about an hour before training followed by additional protein and carbs immediately post workout.

You maintenance level seems to be just under 2000calories, if you eat above that number every day it can help to put on additional size. Eating, in conjuction with your training should ensure that most of the size that you do gain will be muscle.

Oh yeah, weclome to the board! If you need any help don't hesitate to ask or search through older posts. There is a plethora of info and informed individuals (not claiming to be one :) ) on this site.

Gtarzan81

Gtarzan81

Awards
  • Established
On top of what Trip said, eat! Eat even more than you do normally since you'll be lifting make sure you take in adequate protein and carbs about an hour before training followed by additional protein and carbs immediately post workout.

You maintenance level seems to be just under 2000calories, if you eat above that number every day it can help to put on additional size. Eating, in conjuction with your training should ensure that most of the size that you do gain will be muscle.

Oh yeah, weclome to the board! If you need any help don't hesitate to ask or search through older posts. There is a plethora of info and informed individuals (not claiming to be one :) ) on this site.
:goodpost:
Im in the same boat. I started off at 5'9 140 or so. I'm at about 170 now, and trying to get to 200.