Ab Workouts

Bulldawg07

Bulldawg07

Awards
Where would working out your core muscles fit into a bulking cycle? off days in between?

I hear getting better abs is something that helps your lifts all over, even in the chest. I am an ectomorph so its not something i've ever really focused on too much simply because i've never had a gut.

Is ab workouts going to stimulate growth or act as a lot of cardio and make me need even more calories?

advice please

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
Whenever you can fit it in, bro. I try to do weighted (heavy!) ab work at least 3 times a week.

AM07

Awards
  • Established
shaddow, what does your typical ab workout consist of?

Cash

Awards
I alternate heavy lifting abs with just body weight. For example with weighted ill take a 45lb plate and do 12-15 nice and slow on a decline bench. Or on a cable machine attach 2 ankle things and put 35 or 40 lbs on and do reverse crunches in usually the 8-12 rep range, and then we have an ab-machine (always protested this thing, then i used it, hehe) but it will work a different part of your abs than normal, and this to usually with 8-12reps. Another thing is to grab a 35 or so, and lay in sit up position. bring your upper body and legs up off the ground and balance on your butt/lower back, hold the 35 in your hands and bring it side to side over your body, you should feel it right in your core. One other i do is grab a medicine ball and stand straight up with ball in hands and arms straight out twist from side to side trying to focus on not using your legs, make sure your feet stay firmly planted.

Bulldawg07

Bulldawg07

Awards
i appreciate the suggestions yall, but its not really related to the question.

I was wondering if doing that will affect the calories you take in by an significant amount or affect hunger since its in your abdominals, i know i can't eat quite as much right after an ab workout.

and yet again also would better abs help lifts in other areas

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i appreciate the suggestions yall, but its not really related to the question.

I was wondering if doing that will affect the calories you take in by an significant amount or affect hunger since its in your abdominals, i know i can't eat quite as much right after an ab workout.

and yet again also would better abs help lifts in other areas
I haven't heard of anyone losing an appetite from training abs, but I see what you are saying. Total caloric consumption is the main objective, not how much you can slam immediately post-WO.

A strong core is paramount for deads, squats, bench, and many other lifts.

Cash

Awards
i mean, you will need some extra calories if you start working out abs...no idea how many, but nothing that seems too much not to include abs into your workout. A strong core will help improve everything imo, your abs are incorporated into many lifts even though they may not seem like they are being used. Idk, not working abs seems akin to some people not working legs, its a muscle like anywhere else in your body and should not be left behind.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
shaddow, what does your typical ab workout consist of?
Lately I'll typically do situps on a decline bench with (HEAVY!) dumbbells across my chest. We have an Ab Coaster at my gym; I freaking love that thing. (It's too hard for me to do weighted leg raises with dumbbells... They always wanna fall out from between my feet. Hmmm... Maybe I'll try cables one of these days...) Anyways, I stack the max weight on the sides as well as an additional dumbbell between my legs and do front leg raises & obliques. Then I'll do some decline twisting situps on the decline bench with dumbbells again and call it a day.