Check out my diet

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established

My BMR is approximately 2950-3300

My concerns:
1) no veggies. Are they really that important? Lol I know they are. It's not that I don't like them, I just hate preparing them and they fill up my stomach so much. Say I did get some, a 'mixed bag', how much would I need to eat to not feel guilty about not eating any?

Advice appreciated.:wave:

epixep

epixep

Awards
Dude gotta get some veggies in there! Steamed broccoli is really easy to make and tastes like nothing...

Also, 80g of protein in one sitting is a waste no? I don't think that our bodies use that much at one time. Steady consumption of 30-40g is what I usually see recommended.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Dude gotta get some veggies in there! Steamed broccoli is really easy to make and tastes like nothing...

Also, 80g of protein in one sitting is a waste no? I don't think that our bodies use that much at one time. Steady consumption of 30-40g is what I usually see recommended.
Okay I just noticed 110g of protein before bed is ridiculous. So I cut out the whey from the prebed shake and added a serving of rice earlier in the day. That 80g protein in a meal, meh. We'll see how it goes, there's always room for adjustment. It is a post workout meal, too.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
You know there important lol.

Honestly I went through a lazy period of eating no veggies and then recently got back into having 3 servings of broccoli or asparagus a day (and one before bed) and I can honestly say my overall bodily functions and feeling was tremendously improved.

Raw broccoli isn't always the easiest thing to get down but if you have the time you really should.

TheStu

TheStu

Awards
Hello, all...I'm gonna use this opportunity to introduce myself as I'm new to posting, although I've been reading for a while. Most everyone here seems like good people! :D Y'all have made me feel welcome without even saying it.

Rugger, I'm no nutritionist, but I've learned a thing or two planning my own meals. I work an average of 12-16 hours a day ...sitting in a car no less... I'm NOT a natural meal planner, and I definitely don't have time for cooking. My advice is to get creative with your veggies. It doesn't always have to be a filling chore to eat them.

I enjoy fresh snow peas, celery, baby carrots, green peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, heck I'll even eat full-size tomatoes like apples from time to time (call me crazy for that, my friends do...)

But seriously, depending on the meal, I'll eat my proteins/fats/carbs then munch on whatever vegetable I've packed. I stick to veggies that are good fresh -- might be something to try. Little or no prep! :head:

Last edited:
Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established

My BMR is approximately 2950-3300

My concerns:
1) no veggies. Are they really that important? Lol I know they are. It's not that I don't like them, I just hate preparing them and they fill up my stomach so much. Say I did get some, a 'mixed bag', how much would I need to eat to not feel guilty about not eating any?

Advice appreciated.:wave:
That is not a healthy diet at all in my opinion. You are doing nothing to faciliate proper metabolization/digestion. Vegetables are very important, and since most are extremely low in calories, you should have no problem working them in. Hell, you're on a Havoc cycle, a few hundred to a thousand calories extra shouldn't be much of a problem.

You need at lease nine servings of fruit/vegetables per day. Reasons being that they are powerhouses of well-absorbed nutrients and fiber.

I used to eat like that, the way your diet looks. Changing it was the best thing I have done so far. Vegetables( celery, brocolli, green beans, cauliflower, SPINACH (love dat iron!) ) and fruits (fruits not so high in sugar like berries and apples) heat your furnace to better burn fuel/absorb fuel/secrete the by-products of that fuel. Your "engine" will run clean. TRY IT.

Other than that, looks good. Protein/Complex carbs are high, but you gotta get that furnace fired up to burn em'. just my .02.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Hello, all...I'm gonna use this opportunity to introduce myself as I'm new to posting, although I've been reading for a while. Most everyone here seems like good people! :D Y'all have made me feel welcome without even saying it.

Rugger, I'm no nutritionist, but I've learned a thing or two planning my own meals. I work an average of 12-16 hours a day ...sitting in a car no less... I'm NOT a natural meal planner, and I definitely don't have time for cooking. My advice is to get creative with your veggies. It doesn't always have to be a filling chore to eat them.

I enjoy fresh snow peas, celery, baby carrots, green peppers, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, heck I'll even eat full-size tomatoes like apples from time to time (call me crazy for that, my friends do...)

But seriously, depending on the meal, I'll eat my proteins/fats/carbs then munch on whatever vegetable I've packed. I stick to veggies that are good fresh -- might be something to try. Little or no prep! :head:

exactamundo. you don't have to cook em' and they're convenient as apples. also, since they are not cooked, the nutrients are still abundant within them. that's the best/most convenient thing for you and your body.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
oh, and why no red meat? don't eat that fish and turkey grounds too much. they ain't got nothin' on that slab o' beef, homie!

TheStu

TheStu

Awards
exactamundo. you don't have to cook em' and they're convenient as apples. also, since they are not cooked, the nutrients are still abundant within them. that's the best/most convenient thing for you and your body.
Excellent point.

Also, I'm not positive about fiber breakdown from cooking, but it would seem that the fresher the better (at least as far as veg are concerned). Though epixep mentioned steamed broccoli, which is always good.

Seems like a waste of time (& $) to me to take some canned vegetables and microwave the **it out of 'em LOL yuck I'm having nightmarish flashbacks to my childhood, "EAT YOUR PEAS!"

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Excellent point.

Also, I'm not positive about fiber breakdown from cooking, but it would seem that the fresher the better (at least as far as veg are concerned). Though epixep mentioned steamed broccoli, which is always good.

Seems like a waste of time (& $) to me to take some canned vegetables and microwave the **it out of 'em LOL yuck I'm having nightmarish flashbacks to my childhood, "EAT YOUR PEAS!"

yeah, you should just eat cardboard if you eat canned veggies. don't get me wrong, they may still be A BIT good for you, but a lot is lost in the way of good and gained in the way of bad (sodium). heck, frozen ain't even that great. i advocate fresh fresh fresh. they seem to burn best when they're fresh and still 'alive.' we know what's good!

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established

yeah, but he's on a havoc cycle in this diet, so he can definitely/should definitely consume more. i'd say that 400g would be the number to shoot for. i'd bump the carbs to 400g as well, but then again, i think i weigh more. he's right about where he should be in this thing nutrition-wise, but just needs to throw in some colorful growing things.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
While it may not be as beneficial, they do make supps (ex. juiceplus+) that have the same nutrients as a couple of servings of veggies. It's not the same, but it may be a good transitional supp for you. It would definitely let you see/feel what you're missing (and if you want to start using)

"yeah, you should just eat cardboard if you eat canned veggies." - this is an ignorant statement

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I'm not taking havoc yet, I'm just planning a diet so I have it ready. I don't start for another 15 days. The reason I don't have red meat in there, is well because I like fish and chicken more! The fish is fresh so it's got loads of nutrients.

As far as veggies, okay fine. Pick me one of two fresh veggies that would be the best overall package and EASY TO PREPARE/STORE. I'm not concerned with the calories in them, they are just very filling and I know I'll already have a hard time putting down what is listed above.

TheStu

TheStu

Awards
"yeah, you should just eat cardboard if you eat canned veggies." - this is an ignorant statement
I think what Manimalia is trying to say is if you have the option of fresh vegetables, why in the world eat canned? And I agree, not that canned veg are the worst option by any means...

It's like driving across the state on a bumpy, dirty, gravel road when there's a perfectly good interstate nearby. You're still gonna get to "point B," but you'd be better off taking the interstate, if it's an option.

Pick me one of two fresh veggies that would be the best overall package and EASY TO PREPARE/STORE.
Bell peppers are all-around good as far as nutrients and easy prep/storage are concerned. I think they're tasty, too. Just slice them, put 'em into a Ziploc container with some water and refrigerate. They'll last several days like that.

Peppers are generally rich in vitamin A, vitamin C, and some fiber...not to mention the red ones contain more carotenoids, which may be good for the prostate.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
I think what Manimalia is trying to say is if you have the option of fresh vegetables, why in the world eat canned? And I agree, not that canned veg are the worst option by any means...

It's like driving across the state on a bumpy, dirty, gravel road when there's a perfectly good interstate nearby. You're still gonna get to "point B," but you'd be better off taking the interstate, if it's an option.
Oh I know, comparisons like that just frustrate me. There are many benefits to canned vegetables, as well as fresh veggies. It bothers me that seemingly unlearned advice is being handed out here. Comparing the nutritional value of canned vegetables to cardboard is completely unrealistic/misguided, IMO. Really bad.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
"yeah, you should just eat cardboard if you eat canned veggies." - this is an ignorant statement[/QUOTE]
it is true that some companies package their vegetables when picked to be frozen/canned (optimal nutrients for frozen/ canned is definitely debatable, as we pour out the salt water they've been sitting in don't we? yeah),but it still doesn't change the fact that you have to cook them, or if you wish to eat them raw, let the frozen thaw or eat some salty ass vegetables (which both are soggy and gross that way). i'm not ignorant with my vegetable consumption by any means. i do read.

There's not a thing wrong with frozen fruits, as these are used by me for 'smoothies.'

Hands down, fresh vegetables are not only easier to eat, but are better for you. Perhaps I was a little overboard with my 'cardboard' statement, but canned vegetables, yeah, I don't think they're up to par with fresh.

p.s.- there's a nice way to tell me i'm wrong. i'm not ignorant; i just have a slanted view.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Canning is more likely to reduce the heat-sensitive and water-soluble nutrients because of the high temperatures needed in the canning process.

Steaming frozen veggies, well, that's a way to save your nutrition value right there. that's the only way i cook my veggies is by steaming them with a dap of water, and then i drink the sip of water.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
it is true that some companies package their vegetables when picked to be frozen/canned (optimal nutrients for frozen/ canned is definitely debatable, as we pour out the salt water they've been sitting in don't we? yeah),but it still doesn't change the fact that you have to cook them, or if you wish to eat them raw, let the frozen thaw or eat some salty ass vegetables (which both are soggy and gross that way). i'm not ignorant with my vegetable consumption by any means. i do read.

There's not a thing wrong with frozen fruits, as these are used by me for 'smoothies.'

Hands down, fresh vegetables are not only easier to eat, but are better for you. Perhaps I was a little overboard with my 'cardboard' statement, but canned vegetables, yeah, I don't think they're up to par with fresh.

p.s.- there's a nice way to tell me i'm wrong. i'm not ignorant; i just have a slanted view.
Relax man, I'm sorry if I offended you. I may have come across a little harsher than I meant too. There's just so many "diet gurus" that come and "tell us how it is" and that REALLY bothers me. I guess the cardboard statement made me jump to the conclusion we were "having light shown on us" by somebody that hadn't fully done his research. Again, my apologies for coming off to strong, that was wrong of me.

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
Canning is more likely to reduce the heat-sensitive and water-soluble nutrients because of the high temperatures needed in the canning process.
Make sure to source cite next time ;)
Unless you happen to work for cancer.org

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Relax man, I'm sorry if I offended you. I may have come across a little harsher than I meant too. There's just so many "diet gurus" that come and "tell us how it is" and that REALLY bothers me. I guess the cardboard statement made me jump to the conclusion we were "having light shown on us" by somebody that hadn't fully done his research. Again, my apologies for coming off to strong, that was wrong of me.
i'm not offended at all, m'man. i just don't want people thinking i'm foolish, because i really do like trying to help people. however, if over time, each of us were to be made a fool of by the other, no one would know whose info to take stock in.

i appreciate us being mature about this and not turning into keyboard cowboys, as that is not my way, and obviously, not yours either. we can both tip our binary hats to one another! thanks, mayn.

e.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
Make sure to source cite next time ;)
Unless you happen to work for cancer.org
yeah, i would've, but i thought it such a small thing. i knew the info in this, but the wording was so choice. i will source in the future. thanks, rugger.

TheStu

TheStu

Awards
This is why I was impressed enough with this forum to join. I love the fact that people can actually get on a bb and be decent with one another!

Kudos to that... like I said before, y'all are good people. I'm looking forward to being a part of what goes on here. :cheers:

...and for the record, I wasn't showing up trying to be a "diet guru" by any stretch of the imagination. ;)

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
This is why I was impressed enough with this forum to join. I love the fact that people can actually get on a bb and be decent with one another!

Kudos to that... like I said before, y'all are good people. I'm looking forward to being a part of what goes on here. :cheers:

...and for the record, I wasn't showing up trying to be a "diet guru" by any stretch of the imagination. ;)
i think mr. hurley knows that. my statements WERE, in fact, slightly inflammatory. it's just that i feel so damn strongly about my little grown, colorful buddies! laugh out loud, that i have to tell people to please eat em'!

to rugger: i apologize for my very first statement, claiming that your diet was not healthy enough. it is a fine diet, in the way that you have your major components measured to fit your body and your goals. that took learning and smarts from that learning. i just love vegetables and fruits for the heat they give the engine.

to hurley: well, we settled up, but i gotta tell ya, way to bring me down off dat high horse. hell, we all hop on it sometime, though. hahaha.

later y'all, i'ma go hit the shower and then hit a movie. think i'll watch.........i don't know, but it'll be somethin' good.

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established

oh yeah, and Mr. TheStu, check out nutraplanet for any of your supps you may need. they got good all'round prices and BULK powders for your economical enjoyment. a forum and a bad-ace store.

Hurleyboy05

Hurleyboy05

Awards
  • Established
We're all square guys, no harm done. Although, we've thoroughly hijacked this thread :lol:

Rugger, I agree that your diet just needs some veggies. FRESH, if possible :)

Rugger

Rugger

Awards
  • Established
I need some good ideas to add quality calories cheaply. I don't think the amount I've planned will be enough. Lets aim for 5k, so another 1200. I'm in college so I can't be spending loads of cash. Thoughts?

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
here's a good way to get the necessary veggies, cheap too.

go to kroger by 10 bags of frozen veggies any will do. They usally run for lke 10 bucks for 10 bags. Each day microwave the whole content of the bag. Throw that bad boy in some tuberware. Carry it with you. So u can bust it out at what ever meal. Go for the green veggies there free calories, and provide great fiber, which u need on a high protein diet.

dawaro

dawaro

Awards
What I do is buy the pre-mixed Spring Mix (Popye brand) salad. It has 5-6 different greens in it and baby spinach. I mix that with sliced cucumber and bell peppers or California Slaw (juliean sliced broccolli, red cabbage, carrots). I eat one of these with each of my main meals. If you are concerned with getting full on the veggies you can always eat in the order of protein, carbs, veggies.
An easy way to increase your calories is too increase you milk intake or add fish oil or olive oil to your diet. It will increase your fat intake with EFA's you need. Increased fat intake has been said to increase natural test production too.