Myostatin Gene?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
It has been discovered that much of Wheeler's muscular development was aided by a genetic mutation which inhibited the production of myostatin, a key limitor of muscular growth.

I read this somewhere can't remmeber where... but then I started researching and found this

The Myostatin Gene

and

Genetic mutation turns tot into superboy - Genetics - MSNBC.com
AEGiS-Chicago Tribune: One Strong Tyke: Gene mutation in muscular boy may hold disease clues

Interesting...

this seems to be the genetic disease to have... if you had to have one at all...lol any thoughts on this?

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I recently read a write up on Myostatin blockers in MD. A lot of research is being done on myostatin blockers in rats and cows with some success. Increases in both muscle fiber size and number were noted. In the cattle large amounts of muscle mass increases was seen but along with greater muscle damage risk, reduced aerobic capacity, and heart and lung problems. A lot of research still has to be done on it before any human will have the chance to take it imo.

pmiller383

pmiller383

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I can't believe I am saying this, but thats one area that I hope doesn't pan out. If we find something to mildly suppress it that would be cool and would make athletic events a lot more interesting. There is a mighty fine line though, and if there is really no limit to muscle gain, we could all look like those dudes on sythnol (however you spell it) and it would be ridiculous. For the one kid who has it now I feel bad for his pee wee football league lol.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established

Thats just freakishly wrong on so many levels.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah i was thinking it would be a bad ass steriod... and hahah yeah sucks to play football wit Hercules but i wasnt shocked to read about flex having it lol

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
I wonder if the myostatin blockers that had the negative side effects was due to a secondary action from or it if this kid will have those same problems.

mr j

Awards
there was a report on this. some animals born with this gene activated. but they do not last long. i believe it shortens life due to no control of growth. pressure on bone structure maybe?

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have heard about this as well. Not sure the rationale given, but a much shorter life expectancy. Kinda curious what role it plays on stress for the heart as well

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Yeah I read somewhere it puts extra strain on the respiratory system and cardiovascular system..

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
I have heard about this as well. Not sure the rationale given, but a much shorter life expectancy. Kinda curious what role it plays on stress for the heart as well
I don't know about much shorter. I've heard that there is a possibility for a shorter life expectancy, but I don't believe this is always the case. Muscle cramping seems to be a big issue with animals that have been studied that have the myostatin mutation.

Belgian Blue cattle have this mutation and are specifically bred with two mutated genes in order to get larger quantities of lean meat.

You guys ever hear of Wendy the Whippet?

Whippets are a breed of dog that resemble small greyhounds and are bred for speed. National Human Genome Research Institute also did a study on these animals. What scientists have begun to notice is that dogs with one mutated copy are more muscular and significantly leaner, but are also much faster than dogs without a mutated copy. These are the prize whippets that breeders strive for. Whippets that ended up with two mutated copies (biology - we have two copies of each gene; one from the mother and one from the father) were the double-muscled ones. They are HUGE, lean, and not nearly as fast. They're known as "bully whippets". I want one.

genome.gov | 2007 News Features: NHGRI Researchers Explore Genetics of Canine Speed

Meet the Incredible Hulk of Hounds | the Daily Mail

Big Wendy the muscular whippet

I believe the German kid is said to have one mutated copy, and there's another kid around I was reading about with one mutated copy of his myostatin gene as well. His name is Liam Hoekstra, and at 19 months old they say he's fast as the wind, has the agility of a cat, six pack abs, and has 40% more muscle mass than normal kids his age. The article also said his metabolism is through the roof and he gets hungry for a full meal every hour.

globeandmail.com: Dad sees a future football star

Definitely some interesting stuff. I'm always trying to read up for updates on myostatin research. Highly intriguing!

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
there's a thead in 2004 on a lot of this when i first joined, I remember.

John hopkin's has done theis to a person with muscle wasting. if a bodybuilder ever gets their hands on this , watch out!

I tried a myostatin pill called Myo-blast for cps-blast (something like that) four years ago in 04. I think they've been discontinued because it's bunk. At least I didn't show any extraordinary results

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Its just so interesting, and i have seen any recent threads on it so i thought i would post about it cuz its so intriguing, and that kid will be a monster.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I'm sure they'll find another mutant dog to breed with it.

Im all honestly Id rather be the dog with the mutated gene that is faster, lean and huge than the dog that is lean HUGE and not as fast. its interesting none the less. Id rather be faster though and of course muscular and lean.

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
there's a thead in 2004 on a lot of this when i first joined, I remember.

John hopkin's has done theis to a person with muscle wasting. if a bodybuilder ever gets their hands on this , watch out!

I tried a myostatin pill called Myo-blast for cps-blast (something like that) four years ago in 04. I think they've been discontinued because it's bunk. At least I didn't show any extraordinary results
anyone know what im talking about? Did you try it and how did it work? It was called myoblast

Bodybuilding.com - Cytodyne Myo-Blast CSP3. they used to advertise it in magazines a few years ago

Myo Blast CSP3 by Cytodyne - Supplements101.com

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Its just so interesting, and i have seen any recent threads on it so i thought i would post about it cuz its so intriguing, and that kid will be a monster.
There has to be health issues associated with this (I mean from blocking the gene alone the side effects would make most athletics near impossible between the decrease in aerobic capacity and increase in injury risk.) Plus that kid will be well over the weight limit until high school, but I guess if the health issues don't plague him it will be game on.

Mulletsoldier

Mulletsoldier

Binging on Pure ****ing Rage
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
That is the most amazing dog I have ever seen.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
Its like a roided out pig with long legs (I can't get over how muscular its damn head is.) You show me a Rottweiler with the myostatin gene blocked and Ill show you one dog I'd be down for owning. It'd be like the dogs from I Am Legend only not all shaven and (insert word for can't be in sun light disease here) up. It is more space effective than a rotti though.

shaddow

shaddow

Awards
  • Established
That is the most amazing dog I have ever seen.
Isn't it though?! I totally want one. How cool would it be to have a super-jacked dog that looked like it was on roids! I'd love to see people's reaction when they came over to my house and saw my dog! :D

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
Its like a roided out pig with long legs (I can't get over how muscular its damn head is.) You show me a Rottweiler with the myostatin gene blocked and Ill show you one dog I'd be down for owning. It'd be like the dogs from I Am Legend only not all shaven and (insert word for can't be in sun light disease here) up. It is more space effective than a rotti though.

lol i feel that... and the fact that it doesnt want to eat you cant be having a dog thats wants to eat any human..

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
Rather than simply blocking myostatin, upregulating follistatin in muscle for a brief period seems to me to be more advantageous. There is likely more at work than myostatin.

maynehood171

Awards
  • Established
Damn this is interesting. I agree blocking the gene completely seems more dangerous. I nearly shyt myself seeing these pictures! haha

John Smeton

John Smeton

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Rather than simply blocking myostatin, upregulating follistatin in muscle for a brief period seems to me to be more advantageous. There is likely more at work than myostatin.
got any research on this?

have you ever used..what results did u get

TheCrownedOne

TheCrownedOne

Awards
  • Established
I can't cite any research off the top of my head. From what I've casually read and seen (such as the mouse pictures below), results from simply blocking myostatin do not produce the levels of muscle hypertrophy/hyperplasia seen with administration/upregulation of muscle follistatin. Researchers have noted that there seems to be more at work than myostatin and have posited that perhaps follistatin blocks or downregulates these unknown factors. Moreover, myostatin plays a large role in the strength, flexibility and utility of tendons and/or ligaments. A generalized negation of myostatin would not seem to serve us well with regard to our oft-injured connective tissue.
In addition, there is a wide variety of Histone Deacetylase (HDAC) inhibitors found in our diet, such as butyrate, allyl mercaptan (from garlic) and sulphoraphane (crucifers like broccoli sprouts/florets), and HDAC inhibitors have been shown to upregulate muscle specific follistatin. Trichostatin A seems to be the hot one at the moment, but its cost is prohibitory.

See also:

'Mighty Mice' Made Mightier

mmorpheuss

mmorpheuss

Awards
  • Established
It has been discovered that much of Wheeler's muscular development was aided by a genetic mutation which inhibited the production of myostatin, a key limitor of muscular growth.

I read this somewhere can't remmeber where... but then I started researching and found this

The Myostatin Gene

and

Genetic mutation turns tot into superboy - Genetics - MSNBC.com
AEGiS-Chicago Tribune: One Strong Tyke: Gene mutation in muscular boy may hold disease clues

Interesting...

this seems to be the genetic disease to have... if you had to have one at all...lol any thoughts on this?
http://www.musclephotos.com/myogene.html

Considering the author of the letter, there has been much speculation that the intention of the letter was to come up with a reason (other than drugs) for Flex's development. In other words...not true. Who knows?

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
http://www.musclephotos.com/myogene.html

Considering the author of the letter, there has been much speculation that the intention of the letter was to come up with a reason (other than drugs) for Flex's development. In other words...not true. Who knows?
yeah, but from the avatar you got, looks like you might wanna get checked for a myostatin deficiency as well lol freakin jacked