Bulking and Cardio

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
When on a bulk stage how much cardio is suggested without impacting gains? Is 6-10 miles per week too much cardio when on a bulk phase?

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
running... yes
if you were on a bicycle or somthing like an elliptical maybe not so much but when bulking i always do bare minimum of cardio. maybe just a couple times a day just to get my heart goin.

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
Here is my problem: I must find a happy medium between gaining mass and staying aerobically fit for my job (military) In other words I have no choice but to run 6-12 miles per week. Ultimately I must maintain a 7-7:30 minute per mile pace for a 2 mile run. Does cardio at this level diminish my ability to gain muscle and mass?

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
It shouldn't diminish your ability. Some forego cardio alltogether when bulking, but a little bit helps with nutrient repartitioning. You can do three 4-mile runs / week and still bulk fine, just remember to up your calories after those runs to compensate :)

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
if you have no choice but to maintain that amount of cardio just increase your calorie intake by about 500-800 on the days that you run. in a bulk you need to eat alot more than you burn.
im doing a bulk right now and im taking in between 2800-3500 cals a day and i do a good amount of cardio a week.
the amount of cardio that you are doing should not hinder your ability to bulk up if you remember to eat.

bigrabbit

Awards
Yes i have to agree here... eat heaps to compensate.... Good luck mate!

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Theirs a pro bb'r that just retired from the army/navy whatever it was.They ran quite a bit.I think more than you're saying.He said he had to go to base every so often and he would lose quite a bit of mass everytime from all the running.He was just saying now thats over and he can focus on building and actually consistently maintainig the new mass.This is one reason I would not join the military.I see many guys come to my gym in uniforms and they're never very big at all.Maybe toned but thats it.You just burn way too many cals without being able to eat all day to replenish them.Thank you for what you do though!Try to make up the lost cals with food and know that once you're done you can get much bigger much easier!

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Iceman013 Cycle Logs 6
Weight Loss 23
zach195 Nutrition / Health 26
Training Forum 23
Training Forum 32