Gaining muscle weight

kenwood91

Awards
ok so ive been working out for probably a year and a half with mostly weight loss but i havent been using protein so ive recently learned i basically wasted my time. So i went out and bought designer whey protein powder with no idea how to use it. I DO NOT WANT TO GAIN FAT but muscle mass so if i workout 3 days a week with one day in between to rest how should i use this powder and whats a good menu to eat on my workout days?

tattoopierced1

whats your diet look like now? Depending on what your diet looks like, will determine if you put on any fat.

kenwood91

Awards
well i dont really have a diet i just try and stay away from white bread, bagles, food filled with toxins and that kinda ****. So should i take 36 grams of protein before and after my workout for a total of 72 grams of protein and 400 calories is that enough to notice some changes and gain some muscle mass? my protein powder says to take before bed, this would make you gain weight wouldnt it? besides even if i took it 3 times a day thats 600 calories i might gain weight or what?

so basically when should i take the powder and how much should i take before i notice changes.

also, should i take protein powder the next day when my muscles are sore(this usually only happens when i try something new)? i thought that mucles build up over night or is is throughout the day as well? if this is the case than i should be taking protein powder on my days i dont workout as well and before bed, or what?

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
well i dont really have a diet i just try and stay away from white bread, bagles, food filled with toxins and that kinda ****. So should i take 36 grams of protein before and after my workout for a total of 72 grams of protein and 400 calories is that enough to notice some changes and gain some muscle mass? my protein powder says to take before bed, this would make you gain weight wouldnt it? besides even if i took it 3 times a day thats 600 calories i might gain weight or what?

so basically when should i take the powder and how much should i take before i notice changes.

also, should i take protein powder the next day when my muscles are sore(this usually only happens when i try something new)? i thought that mucles build up over night or is is throughout the day as well? if this is the case than i should be taking protein powder on my days i dont workout as well and before bed, or what?

your diet is in some serious trouble. if you dont eat right your not going to grow plain and simple. dont rely on the protein powder try to get it through whole foods like chicken breast or tuna. i recommend the shakes but just as an added boost of protein. you need to be consuming minimum of 155 grams of protein a day and the majority of that does not need to come from your shakes. the more muscle you build the more calories you must consume and muscles need a lot to maintain them. from your height and weight it looks like you really need to concentrate on bulking and really getting the mass you want before you try to chisel down. you need to start counting your calories its really not that hard and i would aim for minimum of 3500 which basically means your going to be stuffing your face 24/7.

kenwood91

Awards
yah i know i still eat alot of whole foods and stuff, besides im only 16 which means im not fully grown yet.

Nightwanderer

Nightwanderer

Awards
  • Established
yah i know i still eat alot of whole foods and stuff, besides im only 16 which means im not fully grown yet.
only 16? man, just eat like a pig, but healthy foods only. If it gets to the point where mom's blabbin' at ya over grocery costs, just add an extra shake in your day's diet. Seriously, at 16, all you have to do is work out hard, and eat big. You won't get fat as long as you're serious with the exercise.

kenwood91

Awards
yah ive been trying before but my results are 12.5" biceps kinda pathetic for the amount of work i put in, turns out i havent been eating right. Although ive been workout out for about a year and half.
here are my stats
-chest press=2-3 sets of 10 usually at 130lbs
-bicep curls sometimes at home at 35 lbs an arm
-lat pulldown at 2-3 sets of 10 at 120-130lbs
i just started this new machine and it made my other muscles sore so should i take protein powder on the day my muscles are sore?
-any suggestions for machines(id like to do squats)

so should i use the protein shakes before bedtime on my workout day? and when do i use the protein shake, on my rest day, if so when?

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
im currently running a bulk also heres a link to my thread
my bulk log
there are alot of people that follow in there so if u have questions ask away and they will be answered shortly.
what i can say in here is:
eat alot!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
if you are not eating alot more than you are burning then your not going to bulk
you need to rely more on whole foods than on your protein shakes. try this:
breakfast 600 calories
snack protein shake
lunch 1500 calories
snack protein shake if you want
dinner 800 calories
*dont consume 36g of protein per shake. keep it between 20-25
if you workout before dinner try and stay away from carbs in your dinner...if you workout after dinner go ahead and eat whatever you want and maybe bump up the calories.
your body can metabolize whole foods better than powders and MRP's.
if you want to bulk up do more weight and less reps in your WO's.
also, a keypoint is sleeping. when you WO you tear your muscles down, they recover when you sleep. sleep at least 8 hours on the nights that you WO, preferably every night.

eat solid. sleep solid. train solid.

kenwood91

Awards
is it work for you? why should i not consume 36 grams of protein? Also is that day you just decribed a workout day? or a rest day. What should i do for the day after my workout(the day i dont workout) nothing? doesnt matter? or what?

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
the diet i described should be your every day consumations with a variety of foods to obtain those numbers.
and yes its working for me....ive gone up 40 lbs or so in weight on bench in these last 3 weeks. my chest is bigger, my arms are bigger, my neck is bigger.
you shouldn't take 36g of protein cuz your body can only metabolize so much per hour. if your going to take 36 grams it needs to be casein or better. whey protein isnt the slowest to be used....it takes 2-4 hours to metabolize casein takes 6-8.
on your WO days be very strict on what you eat, eat 80% complex carbs and about 20% simple also eat get about 20-30 grams of protein per meal. on your off days cheat a little but not alot. give yourself a little extra on your fats and sweets as your body needs these to replenish but try and keep simple carbs to a minimum on these days so they dont turn to fat. on your off days do a very light WO if anything at all....go for light weight with higher reps but make sure to give yourself 1 day a week where you do no lifting at all (on that day eat whatever you want)

elscotto

elscotto

Awards
:goodpost:
only 16? man, just eat like a pig, but healthy foods only. If it gets to the point where mom's blabbin' at ya over grocery costs, just add an extra shake in your day's diet. Seriously, at 16, all you have to do is work out hard, and eat big. You won't get fat as long as you're serious with the exercise.
listen to the man he is wise

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
great advice .. even if ure mom doesnt blab about grocery cost .. i would still add some quality shake ..it'll only help

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
yah ive been trying before but my results are 12.5" biceps kinda pathetic for the amount of work i put in, turns out i havent been eating right. Although ive been workout out for about a year and half.
here are my stats
-chest press=2-3 sets of 10 usually at 130lbs
-bicep curls sometimes at home at 35 lbs an arm
-lat pulldown at 2-3 sets of 10 at 120-130lbs
i just started this new machine and it made my other muscles sore so should i take protein powder on the day my muscles are sore?
-any suggestions for machines(id like to do squats)

so should i use the protein shakes before bedtime on my workout day? and when do i use the protein shake, on my rest day, if so when?
I would suggest that you alter your workout routine. Lift heavier weights with lower reps. Shoot for 4-6 per set and rest 2 minutes b/t sets. Having a spotter to help you push out those extra reps is invaluable. Vary your lifting routine with dumbbells and barbells every other week. Use basic lifting exercises that target the major muscle groups. This should stimulate some muscle growth. Protein powders are good but there is no substitute for real food. Eat a lot, sleep a lot and lift heavy.

As far as protein shakes - have one before bedtime every night. Also have one immediately following your workout.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
I would suggest that you alter your workout routine. Lift heavier weights with lower reps. Shoot for 4-6 per set and rest 2 minutes b/t sets. Having a spotter to help you push out those extra reps is invaluable. Vary your lifting routine with dumbbells and barbells every other week. Use basic lifting exercises that target the major muscle groups. This should stimulate some muscle growth. Protein powders are good but there is no substitute for real food. Eat a lot, sleep a lot and lift heavy.

As far as protein shakes - have one before bedtime every night. Also have one immediately following your workout.
....ignore what he said about the shakes

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
Question?

....ignore what he said about the shakes
Drummaboy:

I am curious - why would you not want to consume a shake when going to bed or after a workout - if your goal is to gain mass?

JOHNJESSICA20

JOHNJESSICA20

Advanced Muscle Science Rep
Awards
  • Established
The protein shake is just gonna be used to get those extra calories and bcaa that u was'nt able to put down.Like what one of the other post said u need to bulk alot more before you want to chisel down.Try sum glutamine for your recovery it works great for me.

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
your body can only metabolize certain kinds of protein so fast, he is taking whey protein and taking it right before bed would not go to benefit him very much.
i'm not totally against taking a protein shake after a workout however if you can eat 20-30 minutes after your workout the benefits are provenly better.
we have both said that whole foods is they way to go, i don't want to get a new lifter into thinking that he needs any supplements including protein shakes. he is 16 years old; his body has a lot of potential still. if he can get a routine that works for him, gets him pumped, fatigues him, makes him grow, he will be fine.
i am not against supplements and protein shakes however if he increases his diet intake he will most likely be fine with taking 1 protein shake a day if that, and thats only if he can not meet his protein intake needs through whole foods.

i do own whey protein, but i take 2 or 3 shakes a WEEK. perserverance, dedication, and knowledge will get you alot farther than extra consumations.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
He's trying to gain mass at a really small size genius. Taking in whey 15-30 minutes after i think would be great seeing as you absorb whey protein quite quickly. And seeing as that is your peak in your metabolic phase it should work quite well no? I make a good protein shake with oatmeal, all natty peanut butter, a banana, and some glutamine and i consume that while i make my chicken or steak. Then once it's about an hour into my metabolic phase i eat a big meal consisting of chicken or steak with brown rice and asparagus or squash or some sort of vegetable that i have in my house. The late at night shake works well too. I have a big dinner at about 9 and a weight gainer shake at like 11 or so. then crash to bed. I saw my greatest gains this way. 15 to be exact in a month. then i got to 7.3% bodyfat and thought i was fat cause i had a little gut and started cutting improperly and now i'm back to 185 haha. all i really need to do was some cardio and more ab work. oh well. win some you lose some. (my avatar is when i was 195. i thought that was fat haha)

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
He's trying to gain mass at a really small size genius. Taking in whey 15-30 minutes after i think would be great seeing as you absorb whey protein quite quickly. And seeing as that is your peak in your metabolic phase it should work quite well no? I make a good protein shake with oatmeal, all natty peanut butter, a banana, and some glutamine and i consume that while i make my chicken or steak. Then once it's about an hour into my metabolic phase i eat a big meal consisting of chicken or steak with brown rice and asparagus or squash or some sort of vegetable that i have in my house. The late at night shake works well too. I have a big dinner at about 9 and a weight gainer shake at like 11 or so. then crash to bed. I saw my greatest gains this way. 15 to be exact in a month. then i got to 7.3% bodyfat and thought i was fat cause i had a little gut and started cutting improperly and now i'm back to 185 haha. all i really need to do was some cardio and more ab work. oh well. win some you lose some. (my avatar is when i was 195. i thought that was fat haha)
I have to agree with you. At his age his metabolism is crazy fast. If he is a hard gainer, he needs at least 1-1.5 grams of protein per pound of bodyweight. When I was younger and a hard gainer, I actually woke up in the middle of the night and had a natural Peanut Butter/Myoplex shake. My body needed to be feed all day and night. I made significant gains and was able to maintain my body fat percentage at 8-10%.

Everyone is different and what works for one person may not have the same results for someone else. Ultimately you have to get in tune with how YOUR body works and what works best for you. This goes for supplements as well.

Necroticism

Awards
  • Established
you shouldn't take 36g of protein cuz your body can only metabolize so much per hour.
can you source this? i asked this specific question a while back and people basically excused this as bs. ive read that you can absorb 40grams in an hour though, and 24 grams of egg protein. so even if that were the case, that 36 grams would absorb over 2 hours, thus really allowing him to take 80grams of protein. but is that to say that a 12 year old girl has the same potential for protein absorption as a 245lb bodybuilder? i would really like to see some studies proving this, because id imagine stomach size, intestinal size and metabolism must play some sort of role in this.