please help

Onelite

Onelite

Awards
after going through pages of posts ive realized i need to eat A LOT more.. im going to use the diet tracker and put down a lot more whole food and less shakes.. im new to trying to gain weight and want some advice on a good workout split, can i work out 6 days a week and still make gains or do i need more rest? i realy want to focus on my arms and chest

Manimalia

Manimalia

Awards
  • Established
you need more rest than that, considering i can assume that since you are just starting out, and from your post, you have that hardcore 'eye of the tiger' thing going on. what's your routine look like right now?

also, what is your diet? post up. we can help if we know.

Onelite

Onelite

Awards
so far my diet looks like this..i know i need to step it up

5am oatmeal with protien powder
7am fruit smoothie with protien powder
10am half a turkey sanwich
12 turkey sanwich, crackers, cheese
3pm half turkey sanwich
6pm anything from chicken to tacos, etc.
8pm protien shake

i just finished a 6 week workout and am trying to find a newone to start monday.

monday chest, (dont do shoulders bad pop)
dumbell bench 3x10
cable flys
dumbell incline

tues back, traps
reverse cable flys 3x12
supermans 3x15
deadlifts 3x12

wed bi's, tri's
dumbell curls 3x10
pullups 3x15
dips 3x12
tri-cep extension 3x10

thurs legs
squats 3x15
calf raises 3x25

fri abs
crunches
hanging leg raises
chopping wood

sat repeat workout

my lower body is pretty thick my main target is to add to my arms and chest, that why i've been increasing the reps on legs

99vorsi

99vorsi

Awards
You might want to try to weight gainer shakes to really gain mass.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Okay, when I'm bulking, I put in two weight gaining shakes (which I make myself because they're cheaper that way. Bought maltodextrin, I use 50g of that, with 50g whey. If I don't have that I blend a couple of bananas in with 50g whey. Before bed 25g slow digesting carbs with 50g milk or casien protein.) Also, I cook plenty of chicken breasts from costco, freeze em, and nuke em whenever I need more protein. When I bulk I eat a full meal every 2-3 hours. Carbs (whole wheat pasta, brown rice, potatoes, bread,oatmeal etc) protein (Chicken, either breasts or from the can, tuna, steak, ground beef, salmon or trout(I catch my own haha), powder, etc) and a veggie source. I usually use just frozen veggies, nuke em. Eating constantly with high protein works for me.

As for your split, you need to work more per workout, and use less workouts. What works best for me when my schedule can accomadate it (and this works best for me, not always best for everyone) is Monday-back, bi's, traps, forearms, legs Tuesday-chest, shoulders, tri's, lower back, ab's Then I have mondays workout on thursday, and tuesdays workout on friday. Remember- You build muscle when you're outside of the gym, so more sleep, more food, more rest on a bulk. But when you're in the gym you gotta go to war with the weights. And I don't mean two sets of exercises per body part. I do 12 for shoulders, 12 for chest and tri's, etc. The only one that I use less is bi's because they're a significantly smaller muscle group. Maybe 6-8 sets if I'm feeling like a beast.

This seems to have worked for me because my last bulk I gained 25 pounds total over three months, the first 15 pounds naturally. And through it all, I only gained a half a percent bodyfat according to the caliper with four different measurements. Any more questions, I'm sure that anyone else would be happy to help, and so would I!

Onelite

Onelite

Awards
thanks guys..i started a new routine with more exercises per workout and im trying to eat more..

borneagain

borneagain

Awards
For me 4 days in the gym is sufficient. I can make gains and have time for my body to fully recover. Also, don't forget to add healthy fats to your diet. Natural peanut butter and flax seed oil are excellent sources of essential fatty acids.

If you want to add mass lower your reps and add weight.

Warm up: light weight 10-12 reps to get blood flowing into the muscle tissues
Heavy weight: 3 sets 4-6 reps.
Then drop the weight and do high reps to fatigue the muscles to exhaustion.

Do basic mass building exercises to hit the major muscle groups. Stretch in between sets to lengthen muscles.

FX01

Awards
Adding calories isn't as hard as you think.
Heres a shake that is easy to make,and it actually tastes pretty good.

Two Scoops Whey
10 Tbsp of heavy cream
1 Tbsp Flax oil
12 oz Whole milk

Combine all ingredients in a plastic shaker bottle,end enjoy.

This yields approx. 55-60 gr. of protein,
and around 1,000 calories.Definatly not fat free,but it will help bump up your daily cals.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
i love this split. ps lots of shoulders pains have to do with an overdeveloped chest and a weak back. that's a very general statement but it's true.

mon-chest, traps
tues-bi's abs
wed-legs
thur-back, posterior delts
fri-tri's anterior delts, medial delts

Really so much could be said about your shoulder pain. Look into corrective exercises for your shoulder.

psychobabble

psychobabble

Awards
  • Established
after going through pages of posts ive realized i need to eat A LOT more.. im going to use the diet tracker and put down a lot more whole food and less shakes.. im new to trying to gain weight and want some advice on a good workout split, can i work out 6 days a week and still make gains or do i need more rest? i realy want to focus on my arms and chest
def get more rest ..only workout 3 or 4 times a week .. i currently have a same problem ..i work10hr/day ..so dont have time to eat 2 meals at work .. so what i do is, mix weight gainer of 1000cal w/16oz milk ..and i split it btwn breaks ..works great ... u can do 1 shake a day right ? if so, look into weight gainer w/amino acids and you'll be in goodshape