How long should i be sore? overtraining?

axeman

axeman

Awards
i started working out again for the first time since november...i did 4 days through out the week (different body part eachtime) each day i did 7 exercises, 3 sets of 8...i was sore from each body part 4-5 days later. Am I overtraining? Is that gonna deminish my results?

oh yeah...im just tryin to put on mass...no toning for now.

OCCFan023

OCCFan023

Awards
  • Established
DOMs are completely normal after a substantial amount of time off from lifting. However 7 exercises per body part at 3 sets of 8 reps (168 total reps) is overkill if you isolating muscles each day (especially on smaller muscle groups,) but this still wouldn't be over training 4 days in. Cut back the volume a bit though.

Link24

Awards
  • Established
Personally, I think you are over training at 7 excercies per body part with 3 sets of 8 reps each that puts you at total of around 168 reps. Which again is my opinion is way over training I say cut the volume by 50% or more.

Botch

Botch

Awards
  • Established
i started working out again for the first time since november...i did 4 days through out the week (different body part eachtime) each day i did 7 exercises, 3 sets of 8...i was sore from each body part 4-5 days later. Am I overtraining? Is that gonna deminish my results?

oh yeah...im just tryin to put on mass...no toning for now.
I think the wisest approach is to first get your muscles used to the movement before you jump into doing 3 sets of only 8 reps. IMHO, the first week should be 1 set of 12-15 for each exercise, the second week do 2 sets, and the 3rd week you can start doing 3 sets with a little heavier weight. You need to ease yourself back into working out rather than jumping in full force or else you are risking injury and overtraining.

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
you will never bulk doing that many sets and reps.
but yeh you will be sore anytime you get out of the swing of things.