Stretch marks...

Bunting

Awards
what causes some people to get them so easily and others who are huge don't have them. My one friend put on about 10lbs over the course 6 monthsand had deep stretch marks under his chest/armpit while I gained 25lbs,mostly muscle, in about 8 months and I have not a single stretch mark. Are some people just more susceptible to stretch marks than others?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Skin elasticity is a complex property. it depends on how quickly your body can sythesize collagen and elastin in order to repair the stretch damage, as well as moisture content/hydration, etc.

Predisposition of Development of stretch marks is pretty much genetic...but whether you actually get them depends on quite a number of factors.

VolcomX311

VolcomX311

Legend
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
what causes some people to get them so easily and others who are huge don't have them. My one friend put on about 10lbs over the course 6 monthsand had deep stretch marks under his chest/armpit while I gained 25lbs,mostly muscle, in about 8 months and I have not a single stretch mark. Are some people just more susceptible to stretch marks than others?
Absolutely

ShakesAllDay

ShakesAllDay

Awards
  • Established
I normally do the leg press w/ a slightly wider than shoulder-width setup. Well, the last few weeks, I've narrowed my stance even more to where my feet are only a couple inches apart. I was sore for days on the inside of my thigh... never been sore there before, even when doing sumo style leg work.

Anyway, I was droppin' the Cosby's off at the pool and looked down in shock that I now have fresh red stretch marks on my inner/upper thigh close to my groin.

Gettin' my swole on, Jack!

:)

goofer

goofer

Awards
I'm also don'y easily get them, I gained like 23 pounds while my training partner has them and has only gained like 8 pounds.
Realy a matter of genetics, agree with dsade

Schism

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Some guys have softer skin than others I guess.lol....

crader

crader

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
Its genetics. I have had three kids and have not a one!

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
does java soap help if u already have some???

i got some on my arse from a dirty bulk last year

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
Wow...some on your arse? That would really bum me out.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
so how does this work?? do i just lather my arse up?

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
so how does this work?? do i just lather my arse up?
it contains an exfoliant...you need to put some pressure and lather up...rub it in for a bit', lathering up, then rinse.

follow up post shower with flawless for best results.

Neuromancer

Awards
  • Established
Luckily I don't have them too big or nasty but i get em... I love em...they are like battle scars!

I got the usual...couple big ones between my front delts and pecs and I got the groin ones too! lol

CryingEmo

CryingEmo

Awards
  • Established
Luckily I don't have them too big or nasty but i get em... I love em...they are like battle scars!

I got the usual...couple big ones between my front delts and pecs and I got the groin ones too! lol

You can have my battle scars.

Chub

Chub

Awards
  • Established
Skin elasticity is a complex property. it depends on how quickly your body can sythesize collagen and elastin in order to repair the stretch damage, as well as moisture content/hydration, etc.

Predisposition of Development of stretch marks is pretty much genetic...but whether you actually get them depends on quite a number of factors.
One of my friends has really stretchy skin, his brother too! You can like pinch his neck and pull his skin like 2inches out! quite freaky! Where as when i try it to myself i can't pull my skin more than say half an inch.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I normally do the leg press w/ a slightly wider than shoulder-width setup. Well, the last few weeks, I've narrowed my stance even more to where my feet are only a couple inches apart. I was sore for days on the inside of my thigh... never been sore there before, even when doing sumo style leg work.

Anyway, I was droppin' the Cosby's off at the pool and looked down in shock that I now have fresh red stretch marks on my inner/upper thigh close to my groin.

Gettin' my swole on, Jack!

:)
dropping the cosby's off at the pool????? wth?

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, I have that problem as well. Did my bulk in sept-dec, and I got hyooge stretch marks on the front of my delts and pits. not to mention someone pointed it out to me that I have them on my lats as well. Battle scars yes, hideous, yes.

Aggravated

Aggravated

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I'm also don'y easily get them, I gained like 23 pounds while my training partner has them and has only gained like 8 pounds.
Realy a matter of genetics, agree with dsade
I think it has a lot to do with your frame size. Even though I am not that big of a guy, I am bigger than my frame. Like others have said there are tons of factors, but I get pretty bad ones. The good thing is that it means you are growing.

CountryLiftin

CountryLiftin

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Im 16 and have seven on my left armpit/pec/shoulder area, two on my right, and some smaller ones but quite numerous on upper thigh like alot of you have mention. I dont run anything and when you guys say bulk, im not sure what type you mean ;) never the less I guess this is just a normal part of gettin bigger if the conditions are right for them to show up. My friends think im a Bad A now lmfao. and the cosby kids at the pool is a great one just sayin. Anyways, I was thinking, the stretch marks could be prevented if the skin was somehow stretched prior to exercise? like I think mines from benching, bringing the bar completely to my chest pushes me a good 6 inches beyond the normal range my arms are capable of stretching, so it stretches skin to a point it never experience except during bench. so it you somehow got your skin more elastic then it would prevent it? just something to think on.

DBdude

DBdude

Awards
  • Established
Im 16 and have seven on my left armpit/pec/shoulder area, two on my right, and some smaller ones but quite numerous on upper thigh like alot of you have mention. I dont run anything and when you guys say bulk, im not sure what type you mean ;) never the less I guess this is just a normal part of gettin bigger if the conditions are right for them to show up. My friends think im a Bad A now lmfao. and the cosby kids at the pool is a great one just sayin. Anyways, I was thinking, the stretch marks could be prevented if the skin was somehow stretched prior to exercise? like I think mines from benching, bringing the bar completely to my chest pushes me a good 6 inches beyond the normal range my arms are capable of stretching, so it stretches skin to a point it never experience except during bench. so it you somehow got your skin more elastic then it would prevent it? just something to think on.
You are aware this thread is from 2 years ago right?