new lifter with a quick question

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
So i have a friend who has been lifting for a while and hes been getting pretty big. I've decided that i would like to get on a regular schedule. I am 6'1'' and 185 lbs at 17 years old. i've calculated my bf% at approx. 13%. i was able to figure my bmr at about 3200 cals with the added 400. I'm curious however to whether i need that many cals or not. I have a little extra fat but want to tone and bulk up. Should i cut it down to 2500 cals to tone up or do i need the extra to build the muscle or should i stay at 2800 and just build muscle and tone up at the same time?

thanks in advance
-drummaboyzl

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Hopefully this helps:

Diet:

Eat A LOT, but in healthy amounts of:

Lean Protein - Fish, Turkey, Chicken, 93/7 Beef, and good protein powders
Complex Carbs - Oats, Wheats, Natural Yogurt, and Wild Rice along with nutritous veggies and fruits.
Fats - Go for polyunsaturated, monounsaturated, and avoid saturated fats. Extra Virgin Olive Oil is great along with nuts, Flax seed oil, and coconut oil.

-Eat 5-8 Small Meals a day.
-Consume 20-30g Protein every 2 - 4 hours
-Limit carb intake after 5 PM unless you workout later in the day.
-Cut the Crap and stay on track. If you want a good body, eat good food. If you want to look like a summo wrestler, keep eating dem twinkies.

-If you are looking to GAIN MASS, slowy increase your calorie intake. Try 200-300 OVER your maintence amount of calories every 2 weeks and see what is working. You may also need to add more if nothing is happening.

-If you are trying to BURN FAT, slowy decrease your food consumption, and do intense Cardio such as HITT. Eat 200-300 Calories BELOW your maintence level and find your 'sweet spot'

You can choose/rotate/cycle diets such as these:

-33/33/33 -split - Carbs/Protein/Fat
-40/40/20 split - Carbs/Protein/Fat
-Anabolic Diet (lots of fat, low carbs)
-CKD, TKD (Low Carbs, Carb Cycling
-50/40/10 split - Protein, Carbs, Fat

Training:

-Aim for an intesne workout that lasts about 30-60 minutes.
-Do COMPOUND Exericses that unleash test - Squat, Deadlift, and Bench

I personally love doing a few warm up set, acclimation set, and then do 2-3 HEAVY sets of 4-6 reps with good form. But there are so many variations to choose from. However, try to avoid bodybuilding magizines.

There are many different training philosphy's to try. Do some research and see what you like.
You may come accross:

-MadCow 5x5
-3x3 Strength Routine
-WS4SB
-Common 10-12 reps, 4 sets, Bodybuilder routine
-4-6 Strength/Mass Building
-German Volume Training (GVT)
-Ripetoe

Sleep:

You need sleep to grow. You stimulate in the gym, and grow in the kitchen and when you rest. Aim for 8-10 hours of non-broken up SLEEP!

Supplements:

-Multi-Vitamin
-Fish Oil
-Vitamin C
-Protein Shakes (1-3/day)
-Micronized Creatine Monohydrate (Search for different dosages. There are many to choose from)
-BCAA's (bulk fron nutraplanet, Xtend, or Purple Wraath)
-Maybe a pre-workout stimulant. But ask yourself, Do I feel TOO tired to lift, or can I do this on my own?

We really don't need anything more. I however, still stray away from the basics becuase I love trying new supplements. Its a hobby, to be quite honest (somewhat expensive too).

Now, I am NOT saying supplements don't work, but I AM saying that some people depend on them WAY TOO MUCH. If you hit a roadbloack, gains are slow to none, and you need a slight "boost", you may want to consider some new supplements...

There are many companies that I personally feel are top notch, to name a few:

-Applied Nut. - RPM and Drive
-Palo Alto Labs - Leviathan
-Controlled Labs -Green Bulge/White Blood
-Ultimate Nutrition - Kre-Alkalyn
-Cytosport - Complete Whey Protein
-MST - Shred-xs
-Nutraplanet's bulk supplies - creatine
-USP
-RPN
-Sciviation

Those are just a few, but there are so many. I am no rep for any of them, but I have tried some of their products and they back what they say up. But many people have tried these companies products as well and they have seen results. Now, if you plan on "stacking" any of these supplements, don't take 8 of them. Take 1 or 2 to see what works.

Recap:

-Eat Right
-Train Hard!
-Sleep
-Take supplements ONLY as needed

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
actually that did help quite alot. thanks for all the info. i am going to test around with a couple of those routines and see which one works best for me, but i think im going to hold off on the supps untill i stop growing naturally. 1 question still though, what if alternate my routine for toning/bulking back and forth? would that work or is it best to do one then switch to the other? all or nothing?

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
You're actually thinking in the right direction. Alternate between bulking and cutting routines. Recomping (lose fat and build muscle) on maintenance calories is not very efficient.

Good call on the supps. I really think that of all the resources you put into training, supps are the least productive. Particularly if you are still in school and on a limited budget. If the food in the fridge is free... Besides whole food is almost universally more nutritious than if it is processed. Just have to make sure that you get the calories.

TexasLifter89

TexasLifter89

Awards
  • Established
Lift The Crap Out Of Your Body, Sleep The Crap Out Of Your Body, Eat Healthy & Release The Extra Crap From Your Body.

=

Results Results Results

arizonanewbie

arizonanewbie

Awards
Bro, this is an exciting time for you! With the frame you've got you can hang plenty of LMB. Just remember to eat a lot of good food and drink a lot of water. I wish I was back in your shoes.