bulking ratio???

Ectofighter

Ectofighter

Awards
I have my calories down regarding how much is my RDA and what I need to bulk with .. but my question is what ratio do I use for carbs, protien, etc.??

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Your ratio should stay the same, but it is the amount of kcals that you consume that makes it a "bulking" diet.

Ectofighter

Ectofighter

Awards
My RDA is around 2700 meaning "bulking" is around 3200ish?? Sorry , what are "K" cals?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
My RDA is around 2700 meaning "bulking" is around 3200ish?? Sorry , what are "K" cals?
The amount of kcal surplus is different for everyone (I personally feel as though 200-300 is plenty and doesn't lead to nearly as much fat gain). Kcal=kilocalorie which is technically what is listed on food labels.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
Percentages will change with everyone. For instance an ecto will probably want to take in slightly higher levels of fats/carbs due to their extremely fast metabolism, while endo's will want to limit carbs, limit fats to really clean fats, and increase protein way up. You could also do this if you were ecto but I am a strong ecto and in the past when I tried to eat "too cleanly" I would not bulk as quickly as I could have. I used a 40/40/20 in the past with great success though.

And Rodja is right, a kilocalorie is an actual calorie on the back of food. It is actually a misnomer since a kilocalorie is 1000 calories, but I guess the food industry didn't like saying that olive oil had 100,000 calories per tablespoon in it lol.

Ectofighter

Ectofighter

Awards
you guys are a wealth of information. Lately I have been working out near 8-12 reps. / 3 sets. I'm now going to up the weight and limit my reps around 4-6. Last time I worked out I did this and I had a hellva pump. Well see where it gets me.

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
you guys are a wealth of information. Lately I have been working out near 8-12 reps. / 3 sets. I'm now going to up the weight and limit my reps around 4-6. Last time I worked out I did this and I had a hellva pump. Well see where it gets me.
Be careful to train towards a 'pump'. This is a common pitfall for many new weightlifters. Heck you could do 100 reps of pushups and get a ridiculous pump, but just bringing blood to the muscles, which is what a pump is, does not really mean you are promoting prime growth. Just think of 5 or less reps being geared more towards strength while 6-15 being geared more towards size. A lot of people ask on these forums how they know whether to use 6 or 15 reps and that is a great question. I have always taught people to take advantage of the full rep spectrum because some muscles respond better to lower and some higher reps and it is different in everyone. To take advantage of this bring a small notepad and pen with you to the gym. When you start your first exercise (lets use bench press as an example) you want to aim for 6 reps so put enough weight on the bar that on your first working set, a working set is the first set after you do your warmup sets. Say you do so and you get 8, write that number down and on this first attempt add a tiny bit of weight to get the reps slightly down. You do your second set and you get 5. Perfect. You get to your third set and you get 3. This is what you want to see. Remember that once you put weight on the bar do not take it off! you are going to do all of your sets with the exact same weight! Next time you come into the gym you have your notepad and it says do xxx amount of weight. Put the exact same weight on the bar as the week before and do it again. This time your reps for all three sets were 8-7-5. You improved! Not only does this system allow you to see that you have gotten stronger from the week before but now you are working through various rep ranges, from 3-8 over the two weeks. Do this same method, using the same amount of weight each week, until you can do 12 reps on your second set of the exercise. Once you do this be sure to mark it and the following week add enough weight to where you get your reps back down to 6 and start the process over again :).

drummaboyzl

drummaboyzl

Awards
  • Established
LakeMountd, your full of some great info man.

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
you could always start by breaking down your macros 33, 33, 33 then from there acess how your body reacts after about 2 weeks if u feel u need more carbs, drop some fats add some carbs, acess this for another 2 weeks.

Everybody's different it's all about finding that sweet spot

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Be careful to train towards a 'pump'. This is a common pitfall for many new weightlifters. Heck you could do 100 reps of pushups and get a ridiculous pump, but just bringing blood to the muscles, which is what a pump is, does not really mean you are promoting prime growth. Just think of 5 or less reps being geared more towards strength while 6-15 being geared more towards size. A lot of people ask on these forums how they know whether to use 6 or 15 reps and that is a great question. I have always taught people to take advantage of the full rep spectrum because some muscles respond better to lower and some higher reps and it is different in everyone. To take advantage of this bring a small notepad and pen with you to the gym. When you start your first exercise (lets use bench press as an example) you want to aim for 6 reps so put enough weight on the bar that on your first working set, a working set is the first set after you do your warmup sets. Say you do so and you get 8, write that number down and on this first attempt add a tiny bit of weight to get the reps slightly down. You do your second set and you get 5. Perfect. You get to your third set and you get 3. This is what you want to see. Remember that once you put weight on the bar do not take it off! you are going to do all of your sets with the exact same weight! Next time you come into the gym you have your notepad and it says do xxx amount of weight. Put the exact same weight on the bar as the week before and do it again. This time your reps for all three sets were 8-7-5. You improved! Not only does this system allow you to see that you have gotten stronger from the week before but now you are working through various rep ranges, from 3-8 over the two weeks. Do this same method, using the same amount of weight each week, until you can do 12 reps on your second set of the exercise. Once you do this be sure to mark it and the following week add enough weight to where you get your reps back down to 6 and start the process over again :).

I disagree and agree. I think that pump training IS optimal for growth when combined with fiber destruction type training. To expand on what you said, "taking advantage of the full rep spectrum" FD/FS training makes alot of sense for hypertrophy. Using heavier weights with controlled negatives for optimal fiber destruction and then pumping the muscle full of blood (even better if AAS and other anabolics/anticatabolics are flowing in one's veins) so as to take advantage of the increase in blood flow (which isn't usually present when not training and recovering between workouts). It has been working well for me at least

LakeMountD

LakeMountD

Doctor Science
Awards
  • Established
I disagree and agree. I think that pump training IS optimal for growth when combined with fiber destruction type training.
The pump itself could be from doing 100 pushups or from doing 4 reps of a really heavy weight. The pump is not defined by any rep range or percentage of max and therefore is definitely non essential in its elementary term. Doing 100 rep pushups will only get you so far when it comes to hypertrophy and in this case the pump is non essential. Doing 8 reps and getting growth and the pump you could easily say the pump is essential but you are looking over more obvious reasons for the growth than the pump.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
The pump itself could be from doing 100 pushups or from doing 4 reps of a really heavy weight. The pump is not defined by any rep range or percentage of max and therefore is definitely non essential in its elementary term. Doing 100 rep pushups will only get you so far when it comes to hypertrophy and in this case the pump is non essential. Doing 8 reps and getting growth and the pump you could easily say the pump is essential but you are looking over more obvious reasons for the growth than the pump.

for the sake of my prior statement "pump"= higher repetitions.