Clean Bulk or Cut?

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
Which do you guys think I should do? Trying to get to 184.4 @ 5% im ~186.6 now. I obv need to bulk eventually and im not too fat so should i clean bulk? if so how much per month? I obviously am not going to gain 12 lb of lean mass in 6 months. So isnt 2 lb a month a little much to be gaining?

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
a lot of times if u clean bulk right, you can actually reduce your bf% at the same time as your gaining lean mass, so while the scale may say your weight is not chainging, in reality you could be losing fat poundage, and putting on lean mass poundage

very brief guidlines:
1. eat small meals through out the day, prefibly 6-8 (this is a given, if you don't know this much you shouldn't be reading anabolic minds)
2. for the most part you want to seperate your fat and carbs during meals, for example meal 1: primarily carbs + protein, following meal fats + protien with minimized carb intake, etc.
3. what ever your calorie intake is right now, start by increasing by 250-500 calories a day, eat this same amount of calories for about 2 weeks, after 2 weeks access your bf% and the scale
4. If its working, continue for another 2 weeks, if you've stalled, increase calorie intake again by 250 calories a day.

By increasing calorie intake slowly, your allowing your metabolism to adapt. Thus resulting, in a progessive gain in lean muscle mass. Often times, people who want to start a clean bulk will increase calorie intake overnight by 1000 calories. Regardless of how your eatting, the mass quantity in calorie intake is very likely to result in fat gain.

Although this method may seem very slow, it is by far the most realistic and productive way to clean bulk
Do this for a good three months, and you will be rewarded with decent lean mass gains, and most likely a lower bf%
for more details on this method
read John Beardi's Massive Eatting series over at t-nation

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
how much can i gain in two months or how much should i gain? Some have told me 5 lb (water,glycogen,fat, muscle in two months is good).. what do you think for my frame?

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
how much can i gain in two months or how much should i gain? Some have told me 5 lb (water,glycogen,fat, muscle in two months is good).. what do you think for my frame?
it varies, i'd put it at any where from 4-8 lbs

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
8lb would result in how much fat needed to be lost?

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
8lb would result in how much fat needed to be lost?
realistically speaking on a clean bulk, if you do it right the ratio is around 3:1 muscle to fat, so lets say u put on 8 pounds in two months, u would only have to cut for about two weeks in order to lose about 2 pounds of body fat

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
Ive almost gained 2lb in 4 weeks and i think it is a bit much.. maybe i should have only bulked 1lb

robdog

robdog

Awards
  • Established
good lord.........32oz of water weighs 2 lbs.

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
lol.. well most would agree 3lb in a month without a test booster is going to lead to fat gains

Laxislife1265

Awards
I tried clean bulking... didnt work too great... Its been six months and I went from 135 to 140 so... its not too bad but I want to bulk quicker. I guess it really depends on how fast you want to bulk and whether or not your willing to bulk and cut. Im pretty good at cutting so I think im gonna bulk and cut.