manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
So I am on the verge of just saying screw it and starting a full out bulk. It will be as clean as possible, but with the way my life is right now I can't make any gurantees... I am tired of trying to stay super clean and end up putting myself in a deficit. My life right now will just not let me sit there and count calories on fitday all day. Plus, its the winter, so I will bulk until maybe bulk until may, and then start cutting for the summer.

So my question is how many of you guys just do a full out bulk. I know there are some...

thesinner

thesinner

Recovering AXoholic
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
I personally do not bulk. Not a believer in this concept, really.

I don't really think it's necessary to "supercompensate" yourself with extra Calories to build muscle.

I am a firm believer that increases in muscle mass are environmentally maintained/influenced, and dietarily limited. This means that muscle is built due to biological need (or chemical 'assistance') but is limited by caloric intake.

Once you've consumed "enough", there's no benefit in consuming more than "enough". The concept of bulking, regardless of whether or not it's "dirty", "clean", or if you're a Christina Aguilera fan "dirrty" is based on the idea of supercompensation, whereby you are consuming more than "enough".

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
From now on I think I will just "clean" bulk . I have done "dirty" bulks in the past and All it does is make cutting back down harder. Whats the point of gaining 30lbs in 12 weeks when your just going to try and lose 20-30lbs in 12 weeks to be shredded again?

When in the first place you could have just went for the lean mass the whole time and be a lean 12-15lbs heavier. I know people want to eat whatever sometimes but, like verything in life, moderation is key.

You get what Im saying?

j0sh710

j0sh710

Awards
  • Established
distilled water makes a very good point, i totally agree with what you said.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I personally do not bulk. Not a believer in this concept, really.

I don't really think it's necessary to "supercompensate" yourself with extra Calories to build muscle.

I am a firm believer that increases in muscle mass are environmentally maintained/influenced, and dietarily limited. This means that muscle is built due to biological need (or chemical 'assistance') but is limited by caloric intake.

Once you've consumed "enough", there's no benefit in consuming more than "enough". The concept of bulking, regardless of whether or not it's "dirty", "clean", or if you're a Christina Aguilera fan "dirrty" is based on the idea of supercompensation, whereby you are consuming more than "enough".
So what is "enough?" I mean I, like a lot of people, don't have the time or patience to sit their and count out 100 calories above maintenance, just to not gain a thing after wards if that was not "enough."

It has been said that Lou Ferigno use to just eat everything in sight to bulk up...and he had a pretty impressive physique. For instance, look at Norwegian on this board. He was massive before his cut, and he said he just stuffed himself all day...

Im not saying that I will go to McDonalds 4 times a day. Im just saying that I would rather over estimate the amount of calories I am taking in rather than underestimate....

cranghel099

cranghel099

Awards
  • Established
depending on if your using anabolics er not, if your all natural i think the best way to do it is only go over by bout 300 to 500 calories of your maintance, consistency is key

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
So what is "enough?" I mean I, like a lot of people, don't have the time or patience to sit their and count out 100 calories above maintenance, just to not gain a thing after wards if that was not "enough."

It has been said that Lou Ferigno use to just eat everything in sight to bulk up...and he had a pretty impressive physique. For instance, look at Norwegian on this board. He was massive before his cut, and he said he just stuffed himself all day...

Im not saying that I will go to McDonalds 4 times a day. Im just saying that I would rather over estimate the amount of calories I am taking in rather than underestimate....
I believe he was also on a few AAS runs, That makes a huge difference also.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
BillFinkbiner

BillFinkbiner

Awards
  • Established
Try concerning yourself with tracking your macros more than calories. After a while while bulking you can estimate a bit more and not have to weigh everything. If you know an 8oz salmon steak grills down to about 7oz you know you're getting 49g P and about 17.5g F.

Check out the Lean Mass Diet at www.scivationbooks.com

It gives you portion sizes for each calorie plan. I've used it twice and loved it. Of course a couple of cheats a week keep you sane. :)

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I have the e-book...I have been meaning to read it. Maybe I will start that tonight.

suncloud

suncloud

Awards
  • Established
i dirty bulk like crazy. kinda embarrassed to say this, but i begin my morning with 3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2. 1k free calories baby. but it makes sure i'm taking in way over what i need. the ONLY joy of being a hardgainer, is we can have a crappy diet without worrying about fat. of course, we have to have most of our meals in check if we ever want to gain.... but its better that than having to go on cutting cycles.

BillFinkbiner

BillFinkbiner

Awards
  • Established
i dirty bulk like crazy. kinda embarrassed to say this, but i begin my morning with 3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2. 1k free calories baby. but it makes sure i'm taking in way over what i need. the ONLY joy of being a hardgainer, is we can have a crappy diet without worrying about fat. of course, we have to have most of our meals in check if we ever want to gain.... but its better that than having to go on cutting cycles.
The dirty bulk might be good for your physique, but it could have some negative aspects on your overall health. Just make sure you stay away from too much processed foods, and you should be ok though.

Eject

Eject

Awards
Clean bulk for body composition and health as well.

Dirty bulking feels like sh!t.

ReaperX

Awards
  • Established
Depends if you are 'on' and what body type you are (i.e. Ecto, Endo, Meso). I'm surprised no one mentioned that.

I am a Endo so I only clean bulk, whereas my friend is a hardcore Ecto, and he eats fast food all day long, just to lose it all in about 3 weeks. He has a hard time gaining weight. Just depends on your body's composition.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
I'd say in between, i.e. part dirty part clean. If you keep to a very strict diet for maintenance and cutting, then why not enjoy yourself while you bulk? I've seen my best results by bulking "dirty" as most people say. Although I always stay away from heavily processed foods and fast food.

manifesto

manifesto

Awards
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
  • RockStar
I'd say in between, i.e. part dirty part clean. If you keep to a very strict diet for maintenance and cutting, then why not enjoy yourself while you bulk? I've seen my best results by bulking "dirty" as most people say. Although I always stay away from heavily processed foods and fast food.
Yea, this is what I am talking about.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I agree with last two post.I have a physical job and a high metabolism,so i need the extra calories.The biggest and strongest guy at my gym has a bit of a gut.Arms are vascular and every muscle is huge,and he obvisouly puts up some pretty good numbers.I bet he enjoys his food,and lots of it:)

amadorian

Awards
I find it hard to get in a surplus of calories so I was wondering if anyone who bulks switches from whole grains like rice, oats, barley, to more like white pasta flours because they are less filling.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I do have spaghetti and hamburger helper,but whole eggs instead of eggwhites and beef instead of chicken will up your cals a lot.I mainly eat oats to hopefully keep fat levels lower.Healthy foods are more filling for some reason,sometimes i get to where i cant eat anymore,but i'm not realy full,just no desire and dry mouth.But if it's some good greasy fatty food or just damn good,i can get uncomftorably full fast and easy,and then BAM,i start to grow.Just bought muscle juice by ultimate nutrition,990 cals,18 fat,152 carbs,55 prot,been drinking two a day,along with a fast food combo(water or diet coke)for like 6 of the past 7 days,don't plan on cutting back for a while either:)

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
I dirty bulked my way to 190 from 155, and I am not even close to being called fat; in fact, I am really happy with what has happened. Of course, I stayed away from the **** that doesn't have ANY good stuff in it like say soda or random ass sweets.. but you can bet your asses that the rest of the stuff I was eating included burgers and fries... during this time I did NO cardio... but here is my question: Should I have done cardio once in a while? when should i start.. i guess i am pretty fortunate to have been given my metabolism even though right now i have been trying my best to CLEAN BULK..

Grinman07

Grinman07

Awards
You Definitly want to clean bulk...Consider your bulking diet to be just like a cutting diet with bigger portions. And you can have your 2 days of cheat meals on days you dont train...Whats the point of gaining a lot of fat when it all has to come off at some point anyway...

Grinman07

Grinman07

Awards
And just do cardio 2 or 3 times a week to keep your metabolism going and your heart strong

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
...Whats the point of gaining a lot of fat when it all has to come off at some point anyway...
..when we sleep, our fat reserves are used when muscle tissue is being repaired.. ant that's why.. of course, you don't want to eat ****ty foods, but you want a little fat.. that's the good kind

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
You Definitly want to clean bulk...Consider your bulking diet to be just like a cutting diet with bigger portions. And you can have your 2 days of cheat meals on days you dont train...Whats the point of gaining a lot of fat when it all has to come off at some point anyway...
I'm guessing you have a slow metabolism.Arnold clearly has a fast metabolism as do i.I could have written his post about eating fast food,staying away from sweets etc....I don't get truly fat.At my heaviest,if i have on a t-shirt,it would be a coin toss if you were guessing if i had ripped abs or not.This my friend is not fat.We need the extra cals to grow,staying somewhat lean is proof.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I have a pretty decent metabolism but put on fat pretty easy. But what I've discovered is that I can't gain even muscle weight if I don't have some sort of "dirty" calories in there each day. If I eat completely clean I can't get enough calories in with each meal. And when I eat dirtier I don't mean Mcdonalds, I mean a good higher fat burger at home, or some mashed white potatoes, stuff that I normally wouldn't eat if I'm trying to cut up.

Ahhnold

Ahhnold

Awards
dude.. that's completely fine... this is just your bulking phase.. you need CALORIES to grow!! besides, you're not going to be eating like this forever... it is next to impossible to add on lean muscle if you're already cut and at a certain weight.. the body is just not used to growing.. you have to force growth and CALORIES will allow you to do this...

BillFinkbiner

BillFinkbiner

Awards
  • Established
If you have been cutting for a while then you will gain muscle quickly as you raise your calories. The best thing to do would be run a clean or dirty bulk for 12 weeks. Cut for 6 to 8 weeks, then run the other type of bulk for 12 weeks. Then you'll see which works best for you. It's not like you are going to retire after this bulk.

For me I know that clean bulking is most effective. I gain less fat and most importantly I have less cravings while cutting especially for a contest.

TripDog

TripDog

Bananas
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Genetics.......you either have it, or you don't......Sad but TRUE.....(metallica)

Hank Vangut

Hank Vangut

Awards
  • Established
i've doing a clean bulk since october and i have to say i'm extremly happy with the results.
no more putting on tons of fat just to cut it off later for me!

ChrisSanderso

ChrisSanderso

Awards
  • Established
This is for Pantera, I toouse the muscle Juice and while using one ten pounder I have gained around two lbs lean and 3lbs fat. Not great but atleast I have gained the two pounds. I am a harsh ectomorph and I could lose those 3 lbs of fat in 3-5 days probably even less.

AZZA

AZZA

Banned
Awards
165-200

Some of you guys might already know but i went from 165-200 in 15 weeks. I ate fairly clean and only supplemented ON gold standard whey 3 shakes a day, and had LG Methyl 1-d for 2 weeks and a multi vitamin. Food wise it was 6 weet bix for breakfast., snack on bananas and cream cheese portions and nuts, top quality rib fillet steak at least twice a week, chicken breast products baked not fried, 2 whole eggs in each shake in the last 5 weeks, pasta and lasagne salad and fibrous vegies. Lifting was free weights and compound exercises and i did the DC training for last 5 weeks. I believe a bigger muscle is a stronger muscle so overloaded with negs and forced reps all the time. Also get plenty of rest.
AZZA:clean:

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
This is for Pantera, I toouse the muscle Juice and while using one ten pounder I have gained around two lbs lean and 3lbs fat. Not great but atleast I have gained the two pounds. I am a harsh ectomorph and I could lose those 3 lbs of fat in 3-5 days probably even less.
I can loose fat quickly too.Sometimes I just start eating clean more often to loose a little fat.Not trying to get ripped or anything,just make the love handles a little smaller.I bought a blender and I make my shakes now.Much better option!

MrBrightside

MrBrightside

Awards
  • Established
I'd go with the clean bulk, but I dislike using the word "bulk" in general. I think it's pretty easy to maintain steady eating habits throughout the whole year without having to cut at the end of the year, while making substantial strides in body composition. Upping calories part of the year doesn't seem necessary to me.

ChrisSanderso

ChrisSanderso

Awards
  • Established
Genetics.......you either have it, or you don't......Sad but TRUE.....(metallica)
Ur right, for the life of me I can't get my legs to catch up to my upper body. I may have to cycle.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I have switched to clean food now.I have been cutting though,so I haven't bulked clean,but I plan too soon!I look better due to less fat,and my BP has come down.I just hope I can eat enough clean bland food to overcome my incredibly overely revved metabolism and put on some size!!!I have also learned from cutting that I have been eating way too many carbs while bulking.That should help keep me leaner as well.

dnantwi

Awards
i want to build increase muscle and size. Is there any steriod alternative apart from steriods which will give me results??

Genetic79

Genetic79

Awards
Dirty bulk is a sure fire way to get fat period.....

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
i dirty bulk like crazy. kinda embarrassed to say this, but i begin my morning with 3 cups of 1/2 and 1/2. 1k free calories baby.
I must have need to gag, so thanks, I guess...

Rick28

Rick28

Awards
  • Established
From now on I think I will just "clean" bulk . I have done "dirty" bulks in the past and All it does is make cutting back down harder. Whats the point of gaining 30lbs in 12 weeks when your just going to try and lose 20-30lbs in 12 weeks to be shredded again?

When in the first place you could have just went for the lean mass the whole time and be a lean 12-15lbs heavier. I know people want to eat whatever sometimes but, like verything in life, moderation is key.

You get what Im saying?
Great point

ChrisSanderso

ChrisSanderso

Awards
  • Established
i want to build increase muscle and size. Is there any steriod alternative apart from steriods which will give me results??
Train German Volume Training and buy 2 big 10lbs tub of protein with lots of carbs, as well as a creatine monohydrate and some bcaa's, if you follow a strict gvt program and take in 2 grams of protein per lbs of your weight you will gain around 10-15 lbs in 6-8 wks easy. Don't use roids until you know the answers that are most important- What can it do to my health? so on

Fatal Wisdom

Fatal Wisdom

Awards
  • Established
Well..being a jobless,carless full time college student kinda sucks ass, you kinda just gotta eat whats in the fridge.

I had a rediculously fast metabolism before I started lifting, I could not gain a pound for my life, but when I started to hit the gym about two years ago, my throat became a shuttle lane for anything that edible, (four double cheeseburgers from mcdonalds after a workout) LOL, I tell ya I went from 115 pounds to 180 at my highest in about two years, i never truly got "fat" but in comparison to a bodybuilder standpoint, hell yea, haha, I mean i had about one ab visible for a long time

but nowadays I usually try to do 15 minutes of cardio after every workout session, stay away from alot of sugars/fast food only if its last resort-but more intelligent choices so like a snackwrap, or a mcchicken..but god damn i just wanna beast out and get massive in the winter..the cardio/selective eating has taken quite the toll on my size

jakellpet

jakellpet

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Dirty bulk is a sure fire way to get fat period.....
there are different degrees of dirty, and what works for one may not work for another. Learn you're body type and what it responds to, and always keep up a little bit of cardio.

Food-wise stay away from greasy takeouts, processed junk and empty calorific food high in sugar. Go for nutrient-dense foods.

Hbs6

Hbs6

Awards
  • Established
Eat yo put on muscle. THis will vary with the individual. Clean/dirty, whatever work you. Clean for me:)

ndnguy85

ndnguy85

Awards
how many calories over maintainence are we talking about?

i want to gain about 0.5 lb/week and so far by eating around 200-250 over..i been able to do that.

i read it's not very realistic to put on anything more than that in terms of muscle..so can i continue to do this until i stop gaining, then increase the cals slightly?

Rah22491

Awards
I would note suggest a dirty bulk,grinman is right your bulk just be just like your cut but with bigger portions I would also suggest not getting so caught up in counting calories dont rely on numbers and stuff just go by how you feel. The way to grow is eat just above satisfaction at each meal by doing that you will get the quality cals you need without driving yourself nuts with numbers

Ryno703

Ryno703

Awards
So I am on the verge of just saying screw it and starting a full out bulk. It will be as clean as possible, but with the way my life is right now I can't make any gurantees... I am tired of trying to stay super clean and end up putting myself in a deficit. My life right now will just not let me sit there and count calories on fitday all day. Plus, its the winter, so I will bulk until maybe bulk until may, and then start cutting for the summer.

So my question is how many of you guys just do a full out bulk. I know there are some...
counting cals is only hard at first. Once you find out how many cals are in the different foods you eat it becomes second nature. How many cals do you usually bulk at?