Need advice for my 14yo Son

Brfish

Brfish

Board Supporter
Awards
Hey all... I am looking for some advice on how I can help my son gain weight. His stats.

14yo a little over 6ft and ~148lbs (He is going to be tall as his shoe size is 15)

Up until a couple years ago he was pretty pudgy but once puberty kicked in he shot up and really leaned out. He looks more like a tall lean Basketball player than a football player. He like BB but Football is his passion. He has played football (Rec and Pop Warner) for the past 7 years (5yrs as a Tackle or Guard and 2 as a Tightend) and will begin Highschool ball next year. His HS has opened up the weightroom for incoming freshman for instructional lifting and conditioning training and he really want to take advantage of it. They are focusing on the core lifts (Bench, Squat, and Deads). He already eats like a beast but can't seem to pack on any meat. He will eat a couple of those banquet microwave meals as a snack after school and be hungry an hour later.

I was thinking of adding in some kind of supps and mixes and was looking for suggestions. I started him taking fishoil caps, multivitimins, and he drinks a whey shake PWO but I was going to look into those weight gainer powders for him.

I have been battling the buldge all my life so this is a new arena for me. Any advice you can give will be appreciated.

tattoopierced1

I'd sit down and come up with the exact stats of what he is eating.. get a total for P/C/F and go from there. His metabolism is probably jacked up pretty high and will have to consume better foods in order to put on weight. If you going the gainer route, make your own. Bananas, eggs, whey, and oats go a long way.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
if hes eating clean start eating a little dirtier,whole eggs instead of whites, beef instead of chicken and a little fast food(except for mcdonalds they have trans fat in everything).lots of protien and LOTS of carbs.have him drink a weight gainer shake within minutes of waking up(and eat within an hour later) after working out and maybe after practice and games, you dont have to take a full serving but this will get expensive(i love true mass).if he wakes up in the middle of night to go to the bathroom have him put a regular mixed protien shake in the fridge and drink it before he goes back to bed.you have to remember hes trying to make a big change to what his body wants.this takes big changes in what you do in life(this is why so many people are way out of shape).he also needs to be eating every 2 to 3 hours.he can keep unmixed protien shakes in his locker and mix and drink between classes and then eat like crazy when he gets out of school.have him eat brush his teeth and go to bed (im fixing to do that).i'll leave you with a quote from branch warren "if you want to look like a normal person then eat like a normal person if you want to look like a bodybuilder then eat like one" i know hes just trying to get bigger but so are bodybuilders.

pantera101

pantera101

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i would like to add to my last post that most would say i suggested too many protien shakes.that is alot, but i know he cant be eatitng in class,and the ones after games and practice would be to refuel him and his muscles just like after a workout.considering hes 14 he most likely wont be willing to eat every 2 to3 hours so shakes will help.just eating more than hes eating now might get him somewhere.i do know that part of the logic of eating every 2 to 3 hours is so your body can better proscess it.if you eat too much at once its like flooding an engine.this is why he should probably have half a serving of a weight gainer and the rest an hour later if he wants.do you ever notice the regular guys at the gym who you would never guess worked out?these are the guys that do the work in the gym but not in the kitchen,and then they acuse any somewhat muscular guy of being on steroids.now im cooking my food to eat (cold) every 2 hours at work(i work for my dad and he understands why i do it)good luck.and also protien shakes are meant to supplement your diet not replace it

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
i used to eat protein bars between classes and shakes be4 and after school and be4 and after workout and some more protien be4 bed at night, i gained quickly...

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I'd definitely go the homemade weight-gainer route, as previously suggested. They're healthier and it's more cost-efficient. Look into getting some casein protein for your son's shakes at night. They slowly digest over a long period of time, which will come in handy. Of course he's gonna have to continue eating like a horse, but he wouldn't be as hungry with some casein in his system. Besides, it's protein. He needs all he can get.

Could I recommend picking up some of RPN's Gut Health? Only because consuming a lot of protein can sometimes cause individuals to have a lot of gas, sometimes even a stomach ache. It's only about $15 or so. It'll help a lot with digestion and absorption.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
i used to eat protein bars between classes and shakes be4 and after school and be4 and after workout and some more protien be4 bed at night, i gained quickly...
I trust protein shakes (homemade, store-bought, or RTD) before I do protein bars. Only because of all the added sugar. The bars contain a lot of unnecessary ingredients. There are some very tasty ones, though.

Brfish

Brfish

Board Supporter
Awards
I took some suggestions from this and another board and have been making him eat more REAL food instead of the microwave meals. I have been getting up early to make full breakfasts for both boys. Pancakes, eggs, toast, and sausage instead of them eatin a bowl of cereal. Also made a hugh batch of yellow rice, grilled up a lot of chicken with peppers and onions, and black beans and portioned it out for him to eat as snacks instead of poptarts and other prepackaged crap. Seems to be working out great. It is hard to prepare it all for him, but will pay of in the end. He gained 4lbs in a week.

As for the protein shakes, I have been having him only drink one right after lifting or a conditioning session. I don't want him drinking them instead of a real snack.

bkoguy07

bkoguy07

Awards
  • Established
I trust protein shakes (homemade, store-bought, or RTD) before I do protein bars. Only because of all the added sugar. The bars contain a lot of unnecessary ingredients. There are some very tasty ones, though.
True, but its extremely difficult to mix up a shake be4 class...

Australian made

Australian made

Awards
  • Established
As for the protein shakes, I have been having him only drink one right after lifting or a conditioning session. I don't want him drinking them instead of a real snack.
Make sure you've got a cup of oats in there as well for some extra low GI carbs and maybe some olive oil for some xtra healthy fats. A great food to snack on is nuts. Personally i go for cashews. 100gms is just under 600calories. once i start i cant stop. its an easy 600cals to snakc on during the day. Probably wouldn't do it evey day but if he really needs to put weight on then im sure it wouldnt be an issue.

MuscleGuyinNY

MuscleGuyinNY

Banned
Awards
  • Established
True, but its extremely difficult to mix up a shake be4 class...
RTDs are already prepared and much healthier than a protein bar. They can sit on the shelves for a long time, too. I still have some EAS Myoplex RTDs sitting right here. I've had them since last summer and they're still good. I'll just refridgerate them before I drink them.

bigrabbit

Awards
Look around for the homemade bar recipes there good and often are better than the real thing... :)