HIIT cardio - AnabolicMinds.com

HIIT cardio

1. New Member
    Stats
    5'9"  170 lbs.
    Answers

HIIT cardio

Well apparently this type of cardio supposedly burns 9 times more fat than traditional cardio, but i'm still trying to bulk..however I'd like to see a six pack other then corona sometime soon..

Would doing this maybe three times a week for about 15-20 minutes cause drastic muscle loss?

If i took my amino acids right before cardio, would that keep my in a anti-catabolic state?

Blah confused

2. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Fat loss is different from weight loss. Weight loss accounts for loss of everything, muscle and fat, which traditional cardio is infamous for (when over done). HIIT is notable for its "fat loss," the fat goes without the muscle leaving. it's the primed way of cardio for those trying to loss fat while hanging on to muscle. One down fall of HIIT, is the mental aspect. You don't see weight scale results as well so it messes with your head. Makes you wonder about the results you're getting, so use the mirror or actual Bf tests to determine your results.

HIIT 3-4 is great and 15-20 min is ideal, anything more then you might not being pushing hard enough. If you're doing HIIT, you're good on the muscle tip.

HIIT, Sprints in particular, create the same biochemical reactions within your body that occurs when you resistance train, it's all to tha good.
    NSCA - CSCS

3. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  206.8 lbs.
    Answers

I have to agree with Volcom. I have a spin cycle at home which I use 4 times a week for 20 to 25 minutes using the HIIT principle. My legs are looking bigger and my BF is down. So it does work!!

•   

4. Unbreakable
    Board Moderator
    Answers

This is another favorite topic of mine to read about. For every time I read that HIIT is the right way I read that Static (60-70% max hr) is the right way.

There are two people that I know who are very knowledgeable and well respect as trainers and athletes (Pro BB) who are two examples of the opposing views.

I would consider that there a many variables that tend to play a role in this equations when deciding for one's self what is best for them.

Phenotype? As an endomorph I find that either is effective and that the static does not cause catabolism of muscle. This may be different for different phenotypes but that is what my experience with my body tells me.

Diet? Are you at maintenance, surplus or deficit? Are you glycogen depleted (very low carb diets) or are you glycogen saturated. The condition of those variables seems to determine my performance and results.

I am no expert and biologist by any means. But this cannot be as cookie cutter a situation as it seems to be to one or the other view. Just as the debate over simple and complex post workout nutrition effects people differently I believe that this may also be one of those discussions that falls into that same category.

JMHO

5. New Member
    Stats
    6'1"  206.8 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post
    This is another favorite topic of mine to read about. For every time I read that HIIT is the right way I read that Static (60-70% max hr) is the right way.

There are two people that I know who are very knowledgeable and well respect as trainers and athletes (Pro BB) who are two examples of the opposing views.

I would consider that there a many variables that tend to play a role in this equations when deciding for one's self what is best for them.

Phenotype? As an endomorph I find that either is effective and that the static does not cause catabolism of muscle. This may be different for different phenotypes but that is what my experience with my body tells me.

Diet? Are you at maintenance, surplus or deficit? Are you glycogen depleted (very low carb diets) or are you glycogen saturated. The condition of those variables seems to determine my performance and results.

I am no expert and biologist by any means. But this cannot be as cookie cutter a situation as it seems to be to one or the other view. Just as the debate over simple and complex post workout nutrition effects people differently I believe that this may also be one of those discussions that falls into that same category.

JMHO
    I also have to agree with you . Everyone is different and no matter what you do, you need to experiment with your own body to know how it will react. Some BB's will start carb loading 3 to 4 days before a comp but others can only do it 1 day before...everyone is different...

6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by B5150 View Post

JMHO
    As much of an advocate of HIIT as I am, you are right that some people simply will not go catabolic with traditional cardio. I also agree you shouldn't be solely dedicated to one or the other. In the spectrum of fitness in its entirety, Variety has greater significance then a particular principle behind a particular exercise, whether it be superior or inferior.

But I'll need to emphasize I said, "fitness" meaning lean & muscular. Variety also has its limits if you have a very specific goal in mind, like speed sprinters don't benefit from 20 mile runs. I just had to add that caveat in there.
    NSCA - CSCS

7. New Member
    Answers

So what would an example of a HIIT training on a treadmill for 20 minutes consist of??

8. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'10"  205 lbs.
    Answers

Quote Originally Posted by jbono731 View Post
    So what would an example of a HIIT training on a treadmill for 20 minutes consist of??
    Walking 2 min on 2.5, running for 1 min on 6, walking 2 min on 2.5, running for 1 on 6. Not those exact numbers in time or speed, you can vary these numbers however you look depending on your cardio level. The point is to have a bout of heavy cardio, high heart rate, then low, then high, then low.
    NSCA - CSCS

9. New Member
    Answers

Thanks, and if this is done for 20 minutes or less it shouldnt cross the barrier between fat loss and actual weight loss (which as discussed above inclides muscle also)?

10. LT*
    Stats
    5'8"  172 lbs.
    Answers

Google "Tabata Protocol". This method is brutal, but very effective, quick, and will help retain muscle while dropping fat.

I also agree that doing both HIIT and steady state cardio is the way to go.

11. New Member
    Stats
    6'2"  240 lbs.
    Answers

I do 40 seconds jog on level 5 on treadmill/ 20 seconds sprint on level 8 on treadmill.. I add a few minutes every 3rd time I do it..

•   

Similar Forum Threads

1. HIIT cardio
    By dedication in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 11-28-2009, 02:21 PM
  2. Replies: 39
    Last Post: 09-26-2008, 08:08 AM
  3. HIIT cardio after workout?
    By jon1026 in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 04-02-2008, 08:18 PM
  4. Carbs after emty stomach HIIT cardio ?
    By emzobg in forum Nutrition / Health
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-2007, 01:52 PM
  5. First time doing HIIT cardio
    By CosmosM3 in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 04-25-2003, 01:18 PM