Light Clean Bulk Diet Please Critique

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Well, I'm starting my diet :burg: and was wondering if you guys could help me out.

Stats
26 yo
6 ft
200 lbs
19% BF
Aiming for around 3200 cals.

So I was thinking about this diet: P/C/F in grams

Pre-WO 5:30 51 / 87 / 11
Oats 100grs
240ml Soy milk
25grs BCAA
1 Banana

During WO 28.5 / 77 / 7.5
Apple (in blender with water 1 whole apple)
½ Scoop of protein
100grs ground oats

Post WO 7:30 51.5 / 60 / 8.5
1 1/2 Scoop Whey
7grs of cinnamon
100grs ground oats

Breakfast 8:45 31.5 / 62 / 17
1 Egg white
1 Whole Egg
100grs Oats
10 Almonds
50grs broccoli
50grs tomatoes

Meal 2 11:00 23 / 27 / 12
2 Whole wheat Bread
50grs turkey breast
50grs broccoli
50grs tomatoes
Fish Oil 3 caps

Meal 3 13:30 23 / 4 / 5
Lean protein (meal at work so it always changes)
Veggies

Meal 4 17:00 23 / 27 / 9
2 Wholewheat Bread
50grs turkey breast
50grs broccoli
50grs tomatoes

Meal 5 20:00
28 / 25 / 10.5
1/2 cup Cottage
1/2 Casein
50grs broccoli
50grs tomatoes
30grs Spinach
50grs Oats
Fish oil 3 caps
Fiber

TOTAL P/C/F
Grs 259 / 369 / 84
Cals 1037 / 1475 / 762
% 32 / 45 / 23

I would love to hear what you guys say on this, I'm trying to keep the cals not that high since last time I tried a 4K cal diet I gained a lot of fat, so I'm trying to take it slower this time and if necessary increase cals gradually.

Currently I'm taking RPM & Drive, and plan to stack them with other stuff when other supps get here.

Thanks guys!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
300gm of oats?

Lots of carbs, no? Can you possibly use all of that during your workout without getting fat?

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
The best way to have a clean bulk, and sometimes a great recomp, is by increasing kcals somewhere between 100-300 over maintenance. Most greatly overestimate how much is really needed to make progress in LBM gains.

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thansk for your replies.

300gm of oats?
Lots of carbs, no?
Do you think I should make them less? But then my calories would go down a lot and I don't know when to compensate.
300grs of Oats = 178 grs of Carbs
Divided in Pre, During and Post WO it comes to 60 grs of carbs each I thought that was OK. How would you do it?

The best way to have a clean bulk,..., is by increasing kcals somewhere between 100-300 over maintenance
I agree, well maybe up to 500kcals depending on body type. According to the Harris Benedict Formula:
BMR = 66 + (13.7 X weight in kilos) + (5 X height in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)
And then BMR x 1.375 (for Moderately Active) = 2839 for Mantainance. That's why I thought 3200 would be OK, do you think it is to high?

Thanks again for all the help really appreciate it guys :thumbsup:

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Thansk for your replies.

Do you think I should make them less? But then my calories would go down a lot and I don't know when to compensate.
300grs of Oats = 178 grs of Carbs
Divided in Pre, During and Post WO it comes to 60 grs of carbs each I thought that was OK. How would you do it?

I agree, well maybe up to 500kcals depending on body type. According to the Harris Benedict Formula:
BMR = 66 + (13.7 X weight in kilos) + (5 X height in cm) - (6.8 X age in years)
And then BMR x 1.375 (for Moderately Active) = 2839 for Mantainance. That's why I thought 3200 would be OK, do you think it is to high?

Thanks again for all the help really appreciate it guys :thumbsup:
Take those formulas with a grain of salt, but it is a good starting point.

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
For myself I start out slowly on the carbs when I decide to put on some weight.

Maybe 30 pre and 30 post and then follow up with a small amount in a meal.

Typically what I will do is:

Pre-Workout:
25-27g carbs via 1/2 cup ground oat
25-27g whey protein
Post-Workout:
Repeat

Post meal - 1/2 cup FiberOne and 1/2 cup skim

I'll go with that for quite a while before I bump it up. For a lean, clean lean mass period I do not want to put on more than a pound a week. Seriously, consider that anything more than that is going to be bodyfat unless you are using anabolics.

Best way to establish diet for goals is to have a solid maintenance diet and adjust 200-300cals a day.

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Take those formulas with a grain of salt, but it is a good starting point.
Thanks, I will regulate it depending on how my weight moves week after week.

For myself I start out slowly on the carbs when I decide to put on some weight.
Ok will do. I am lowering the carb intake in the pre-during-post period. The think is my calories have gone down to 2900 and the raitos to 32% P, 44% C and 24% F (fat coming mainly from fish oil, almonds and flaxseed)

What do you think? is 2900 to low? how do your ratios and cals look like?

Thanks!

B5150

B5150

Legend
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
At 200lb and 19%bf I would think you would be starting at a good place. But that is still 300g of carbs a day. I don't know your metabolism so I can't say for sure how you will do. I would lean more to protein than crabs if it were me.

Stay with it for several weeks and see how it goes. If anything you would recomp nicely, which, in reality is a nice lean bulk (putting on LBM while maintaining or losing bf)

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Stay with it for several weeks and see how it goes
Thanks will do :thumbsup: if I start to gain more than 1 lb per week will def lose some more carbs and add protein if Bf% goes down or mantains while adding weight/strength will keep the same route.

Thanks again you've been very helpful

lgkitfox

lgkitfox

Board Sponsor
Awards
The best way to have a clean bulk, and sometimes a great recomp, is by increasing kcals somewhere between 100-300 over maintenance. Most greatly overestimate how much is really needed to make progress in LBM gains.

Thank you Rodja! GREAT point.

Lookign at your diet, without knowing what works for you necessarily, i'd cut WAY down on the carbs, while increasing your fat calories from sources like fish oils, whole eggs, flax, olive oil, etc.

Whey protein should not constitute much more then 50% of your protein intake...and even then, it should only be used in a pinch and whole foods used WHENEVER possible. Get all your ducks in a line before you utilize a great bunch of expensive supplements!! Gains are made in the kitchen afterall.

Looking at your macronutrient composistion at the end of the day your only getting what..1.1 grams per lb of bodyweight when most people will prescribe a MINIMUM of 1.5grams of protein PER lb of bodyweight..thats 300 grams of protein in your case (try some tuna, and again, more whole eggs..dont scare away from the fat in the yolk, yolks are PACKED with some of mother nature's greatest anabolic effects, loads of vitamins...in Arnie's Bodybuilding Bible (Revised) they are rated gram for gram, as the single best source of protein available).

Unless you've got a physical job, 300grams of carbs will do nothing short of making you fat, because that is alot of energy to burn!

E J

E J

Awards
  • Established
Thanks all, very helpful advice.

Whey protein should not constitute much more then 50%
Totally agree, in my case whey is not even 20% 2 scoops = 48grs out of 259gr and only around/during WO

Looking at your macronutrient composistion at the end of the day your only getting what..1.1 grams per lb of bodyweight when most people will prescribe a MINIMUM of 1.5grams of protein PER lb of bodyweight
I am getting around 1.3grs per lb, but what I actually think is it should be considered time LBM in which case at 200lbs 19%BF I would be consuming almost 1.6grs of protein per lb of LBM.

I really appreciate your help and don'tr wanna sound like I disregard your advice, and if I am wrong please by all means correct me :thumbsup:

I believe primary source of energy is carbs, so it is equally possible that I add fat because of excess protein than from excess carbs.So what matter at the end of the day is total cals.
Unless you've got a physical job, 300grams of carbs will do nothing short of making you fat, because that is alot of energy to burn!
It doesn't matter if the calories come from protein they will put fat on too.

I have lowered my total cals to 2900 which I do not think is a lot for a lean bulk.

Would you agree a 35/44/21 ratio P/C/F is healthy?

Last edited: