18 years old, 6 ft 3 inches tall, 160 pounds... need help!

hardgainer823

Awards
like the title says, im 18, 6'3'', and 160 pounds. I started out at about 140 about 9 or 10 months ago, and got up to 160 in the first 2 months. But now i havent changed in the last 7. Im currently wake up, take cytosport fast-twitch and go work out, then take mucle milk when i get home along with some breakfast which usually consists of bacon and eggs or pancakes and sausage. (+ i just ordered some cytogainer to replace the muscle milk.) Then i go to school, and at 10a.m. we have a 10 minute nutrition break to get some snacks. I usually dont have anything at this break. Then i go home for lunch at 12 and usually eat a tv dinner or something like that and a muscle milk shake. I then go back to school until 3:15 and then come home and eat a snack, or some muscle milk if i missed it at lunch. Then i go to practice (basketball at the this time of year) and then eat supper when i get home. An example of what my mom makes me for supper is hamburgers, a green vegetable or corn, and some kind of potatoe. Then before bed i have another muscle milk, and then wake up and do it all again. My workout schedual is
monday- chest
tuesday- back
wednesday- arms
thursday- shoulders
friday- legs
and either saturday or sunday i usually go in and do arms again.

chest day i usually start out with bench, usually a pyramid (10, 8, 6, 3, 2) or "blasters" (you put on your 1 rep max and try to get 5 reps, each time you fail you take 5 pounds off and keep going until you can get 5 reps), then wide grip bench 2 sets of 6 and a burnout, wide grip negative bench, dumbell incline, narrow grip dumbell bench, flies, and sometimes incline bench (with a bar). The order of lifts isnt always the same, does that make a difference?

Arm day i usually start off with incline dumbell curls, then to tricep rope, then a lift we call 21 curls, you go 7 half way up, 7 half way down, and 7 all the way (with a bar), then i do skull crushers, then buddy curls with a bar, usually go from 3 to 8 then back down, then tricept extensions with a dumbell, then concentration curls, then reverse arm curls, and i keep rotating bicep, tricep, and throw in some wrist/forearm too. i usually do either 4 sets of 6, or 3 sets of 8 on most lifts.

ok, there is my routine, can anyone tell me what im doing wrong, or what i need to do, because i cant gain weight. period. To stand any chance of playing college football, i have to bulk up, and right now, its just not happening. Im a quarterback if that makes any difference.

THANKS to those of you who read this, for wasting you time to help me out! I truly appreciate any helpful tips!
-hardgainer823

heebs10

heebs10

Awards
  • Established
get a protein shake and some food for that ten minute break. for dinner a tv dinner is not going to cut it. you need chicken, beef, all the protein and complex carbs you can get or your not going to grow. you need to be eating more throughout the middle part of the day and more protein before bed. also get a protein shake before you hit the gym. do this for a month and try telling me you are not gaining. good luck bro.

Xodus

Xodus

Awards
  • Established
Did you increase your food intake to account for the 20# gain? It doesn't sound like it.

Add more food. Try 250 extra cals/day for a few weeks. If you don't see ~any~ gain, add another 250 until you start gaining again.

aztec127

aztec127

Awards
i'm no expert but from my experience and opinion, you may be working out too much. Some of my biggest gains come when i haven't worked out in a week or two.

try combining some arms into chests or backs because arms is just too small of a muscle group in my opinion to train the whole day. Try chests/tris, backs/bi's, shoulders/traps, and then legs. Don't work out arms too much, you could be damaging your cannon. There are some certain quarterback arm exercises that will help you throw the ball. but i forgot them.

i had your same dimensions in high school, i was 6'3, 170, pretty lanky, took creatine, bulked up a bit during the pre-season. its hard to maintain a good diet though. try making some homemade weight gainers that u can take during nutrition. and then some small snack before practice.

in my experience though, gaining mass shouldn't be your top priority. your quarterback abilities are, you can always easily bulk up in college. are u about to enter your senior season? if so, how'd u do your junior season? make sure your coach is putting your name out there to start conferences with some coaches at the next level. more importantly, get to know your receivers and throw to them, don't let your cannon get rusty during the off season

SilentBob187

SilentBob187

Awards
  • Established
Eat more, sleep more, lift less. A 2nd day for arms? Try having 3 off days a week.

chest/tris
back/bis
shoulders
legs

Mix up your routine as well. You said on chest day you usually start w/ bench. Start with incline db's or something instead. Incorporating your arms on your chest and back days will also aid in the muscle confusion.

Are you doing squats and deads? It's a common question around here. :squat:

tattoopierced1

gotta fit some more meals in, especially at your 10am break. Also, try some different foods at dinner. If your pressed for time in the evenings, try cooking 2-3 nights worth of dinners on Sunday and then again on Wed. or Thursday.. then you can just pop them in the microwave and eat and not have to worry about prep.

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
yeh man your workin out to much. in my mind your diet comes first then your weights. try doin sets of 5 or 6 to build the mass. the only time you should do 10 reps is when your warming up then after that throw on the big sh*t and go to town. that cytogainer is good stuff but i got tired of spending the money and got off my lazy butt and started making my own. alot cheaper and alot better in my opinion

hardgainer823

Awards
can you give me an example of whats all in the gainer you make?

fasthumpman

fasthumpman

Awards
im not in to all the measuring like some people here but heres an example of my shake.

1. ice cream
2. cottage cheese
3. yogurt
4. honey
5. a banana
6. peanut butter
7. oats.
8. milk
9. couple scoops of whey protein

mmmm enjoy

tattoopierced1

im not in to all the measuring like some people here but heres an example of my shake.

1. ice cream
2. cottage cheese
3. yogurt
4. honey
5. a banana
6. peanut butter
7. oats.
8. milk

mmmm enjoy
measuring may not be key when you first start eating more, but it is good to get used to it early, as later on when you have to find creative ways to fit things in to keep gaining, you'll have already been doing so for a while.. Simple point, start measuring stuff...

ClintCanada

1. ice cream
2. cottage cheese
3. yogurt
4. honey
5. a banana
6. peanut butter
7. oats.
8. milk

mmmm enjoy
looks like quite the shake -- but it appears you overlooked kidney beans, brussel sprouts and a sprinkle saw dust and some 10w30 for the joints /jk

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
All pretty good suggestions so far. Make sure you replace that tv dinner for lunch with a large meal. You can bake a ton of chicken breasts in the oven on Sunday and just eat them during lunch throughout the week. Add complex carbs to this lunch meal as well (rice, pasta, potatoes). You're trying to gain, so eat as much as you can stomach. I'd go with a 4 day/week plan similar to the one suggested by Aztec and Silentbob. Add in carbs for breakfast when you aren't eating pancakes. If you're eating eggs and bacon, add a bowl of oatmeal or even a couple slices of wheat bread. Even a bagel would work. The absolute last thing you want to do is work arms twice a week, especially if you're a quarterback. All that stress on your arm from weightlifting and then practice on top of it will wear out your joints boss.

Muscle milk is good stuff, but replace some of those with food. Why take a muscle milk before bed when you can make your own shake? Or even a bowl of cottage cheese, or some eggs. And lastly make sure to eat during that nutrition break. Force yourself to eat.

Now here is a little of my own experience. I didn't break past 150 until my third year of college. And the only way I did that was to EAT. We'd walk into the dining hall and wouldn't leave until we had consumed 3 plates of healthy foods. I'm talking probably 1500-2000 calorie meals sometimes. We'd empty the "Make your own" section of all their turkey, veggies, hard boiled eggs, rice, beans, and olive oil. It's obviously not the best proposition, but for serious hard gainers, sometimes its the only way. It wasn't until I did this for a semester and a half that I finally started to make the size and strength gains that I was looking for.

In those workouts, make sure to include Deadlifts, Squats, Heavy Bench Press, Power cleans, and Military Press. As a football player, I'm sure your coach has these in your workout plan already, but focus on those heavy movements the most if you want to add size.

A quick all purpose shake: Ground oatmeal (use your 'rents coffee grinder when they're not looking), whey/casein protein, milk, peanut butter, and some fruit for flavoring. It'll give you 500 calories easy. If you need more calories you can do what Arnold did and add heavy cream into your shakes instead of milk.

Good luck boss.
:squat: