increasing my frame size

nellocon

Awards
Hi,
Im 5'10 and about 150lbs and im currently about to start a bulk...i will be aiming for about 3000 cals per day and move up to 3500.

Anyway because of my weight (150lbs) my body just looks skinny.
How long or how much weight would i need to gain before i look a bit more healthier and not just skin and bone.

Im hoping to gain 12lbs of weight in muscle and fat as fast as possible, hopefully in 8 weeks???!!!

Laxislife1265

Awards
Im about your size but skinnier and I gain some muscle/fat sometimes and it usually takes me about 10lbs give or take a few pounds also. Im also about 5'10" and sometimes i lose weight for wrestling and i drop to 124. But if you weigh 150 at my height I don't understand how you look skinny. Skinny as in like trim around the waste? or thin shoulders and not a lot of muscle? Because people dont think im abnormally skinny and frail just that im not very heavy on the body fat.

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Hi,
Im 5'10 and about 150lbs and im currently about to start a bulk...i will be aiming for about 3000 cals per day and move up to 3500.

Anyway because of my weight (150lbs) my body just looks skinny.
How long or how much weight would i need to gain before i look a bit more healthier and not just skin and bone.

Im hoping to gain 12lbs of weight in muscle and fat as fast as possible, hopefully in 8 weeks???!!!
probably half will be fat, but thats possible

iDShaDoW

Awards
Same here.

I was 115 at 5'9 for a long time, got up to 135 now and been taking a small break since work eats up so much time.

Friend is like 120 at 5'9 as well and he actually looks bigger than me. Pretty weird, I think he just has higher body fat or something.

Nabisco

Nabisco

Awards
  • Established
12lbs in 8 weeks seems pretty steep to me. Especially if you're an ectomorph, you'd have to inhale a horse everyday. But as far as frame size, you're pretty much set depending on your age. I'm nearly 6' at 175, a friend of mine is 5'10 at 175 and he looks a LOT bigger than I do. Then again he is more mesomorph build (broader shoulders, larger more well shaped muscles) whereas I'm an ectomorph build (taller, slimmer shoulders, elongated slim muscles). So if you're looking to just bulk up, go for it. If you're looking to change the build of your body, that will require specific exercises to target what you want to change. Best way to look bigger in a small frame of time is to focus on back and shoulders/traps. A change in these key muscle groups will make you look the bigger, fastest.

bigrabbit

Awards
bigger frame means bigger shoulders, back and chest i guess...

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
squats will build your frame up. Make you look like a refridgerator but it definitely will make your structure overall look bigger, a lot in the lower body of course.

Also heavy deadlifts and variations will thicken your back and make you look a lot more solid when your at the beach for example. Military press is a good way to build your shoulder girdle up as well. Just lift heavy on the big lifts and then blast everything with lots of volume the remainder of the workout.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
squats will build your frame up. Make you look like a refridgerator but it definitely will make your structure overall look bigger, a lot in the lower body of course.

Also heavy deadlifts and variations will thicken your back and make you look a lot more solid when your at the beach for example. Military press is a good way to build your shoulder girdle up as well. Just lift heavy on the big lifts and then blast everything with lots of volume the remainder of the workout.
This is so true. I used to do tons of heavy leg work along high volume back training and I developed this type of physique. It is a good base to build off of because you develop the 3 largest muscle groups in the body.

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
This is so true. I used to do tons of heavy leg work along high volume back training and I developed this type of physique. It is a good base to build off of because you develop the 3 largest muscle groups in the body.
I had to cut back abit on the squats my legs got alot bigger then rest of me i think about 25" when I measured for a squat suit LOL.

Once upperbody gets more caught up again ill start up a bit more.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I had to cut back abit on the squats my legs got alot bigger then rest of me i think about 25" when I measured for a squat suit LOL.

Once upperbody gets more caught up again ill start up a bit more.
I got up to 30" at a weight around 210 lbs. I have not really trained my legs since I started MMA because they were too large. Even now, after 18 months of inconsistent, half-assed training and at ~175 lbs, they are almost 26".

Variocam

Variocam

Awards
I got up to 30" at a weight around 210 lbs. I have not really trained my legs since I started MMA because they were too large. Even now, after 18 months of inconsistent, half-assed training and at ~175 lbs, they are almost 26".
hahah I hear that lol. does the larger legs make you get gassed quicker and move less dynamic? also makes harder to weigh in id imagine. ive heard that as a reason why alot of fighters have such spindly legs.

example: chuck lidell

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
hahah I hear that lol. does the larger legs make you get gassed quicker and move less dynamic? also makes harder to weigh in id imagine. ive heard that as a reason why alot of fighters have such spindly legs.

example: chuck lidell
Upper body strength is much more applicable than lower body in MMA. Core/hip power is extremely vital but squat or deadlift strength really is not that important. Also, it makes certain submissions much more difficult to apply. There are some exceptions, but almost all MMA fighters have small to average size legs.

tattoopierced1

i was extremely thin and had a small frame when I first started. Now I have some very broad shoulders and look completely different than when I started. It takes time, years of hard work, but it pays off dividends in the end. Eat big, lift big, and you'll get big.

amt4331

amt4331

Awards
If you want to get a bigger frame lift heavy! Legs are an important part of wrestling too, so don't skip out on squats and deadlifts. You will know you have strong legs when you wrestle a heavyweight who likes to ride legs and you can get right out from bottom.

EAT!!! :pizza:
haha

EasyEJL

EasyEJL

Never enough
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
i was extremely thin and had a small frame when I first started. Now I have some very broad shoulders and look completely different than when I started. It takes time, years of hard work, but it pays off dividends in the end. Eat big, lift big, and you'll get big.
you need to post him a link to your pictures :) just to give him an idea what 3 years of actually eating can do ;)

amt4331

amt4331

Awards
Hi,
It's possible to add 12lbs. I've added an average of about 0.6lbs per week for bit over a year and lowered my bodyfat. I put on about 40lbs in 66-68 weeks. If I wouldn't have worried about cutting I could have gained a lot more, so I will say this... If you eat like you're big, you can get big.