Up your bench..

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
I need to up my bench to 255x5, i was able to do it at 205lb but now that im 199 i can only do 245x4.. What are some techniques you guys used to up yours. (I am gaining weight slowly and bulking diet is in check.) training is what i need to modify. please be detailed. i know tricep work needs to be at focus here. Sorry for the n00bish question but i need some tips. I need to be repping 300 by the end of next year, hopefully sooner.

Flick

Awards
You want to be repping 300lbs by the end of this year?

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
lol no, End of 08 i want to rep 300x5. i can bench it 1x now. preferably sooner

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
The fastest way Ive ever upped my bench, as simply putting the weight on I WANTED to bench, and went at for 6 sets.

If you want 250 on bench, then make your body do it. Put on 250. Have a spot help you keeping your form. See what you can do. 5-6 sets, 2x weekly. Write it down so you can see just how fast this will work.
IT's great for shock

Reps would be like 3-4(first few sets), or sometimes 2, but I did 6 sets (with a spot of course)

Your body will adjust to the DEMAND. ...Place that demand there.

(THis is good up to the +40lb range about, Im not advising anyone to throw on 250lb on the bench, when you cant press 200 of course)

I got a nasty increase in size, and was doing the first 3 sets unassisted, 6 reps last time I did this. It's not as taxing as you would think on your body, becasue the reps end up being so low. I worked bench twice a week. Did this technique for squats also.

3 weeks and you should be noticing your completeing at least the first 2 sets of 6 reps unassisted.

Play your diet according to how your feeling the next day.

Doug8796

Doug8796

Awards
  • Established
wow... thanks for that. ok im at 250x5 now.. what do you suggest? i really want to to 275x5 sooner than later.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
wow... thanks for that. ok im at 250x5 now.. what do you suggest? i really want to to 275x5 sooner than later.
Perfect- You want 275lbs,.. put on 275lbs. (Two warm up sets)

5-6 sets... Use a spot! 2X a week
Do however many u can, and have your spot force the rest until you get to 6 reps to complete one set.

Just do flat bench for this period main excercise. U can rep out on some incline or cables one of those times (preferabbly the second workout session, so you have that extra time to recover and it wont hinder your workouts)

Wrie down the reps you do by yourself after each set. USe a + X for the reps your spotted on..
You should see your +X reps with the spot decline, with your normal reps going up, as a way to track your progress.

Adaptation time will vary, but generally, on the 3rd week, Im doing the first set of 6 reps without a spot.

Don't adjust the weight, just keep it at 275 after warming up.

SteelEntity

SteelEntity

Awards
  • Established
That may work to a point but If you WANT to bench 230 and can get 200 up twice then it aint gonna happen plain and simple. That is the perfect recipe to get injured. You are better off increasing the weight slow and steady imo.

Oh yeah and do rotator cuff exercises, they really helped increase my bench.

2k2ser

Awards
  • Established
Start doing some board presses. They helped me out alot! You can go heavier because it's not full reps. Find the spot where most of your reps fail.....bottom, top or the middle. You will get stronger through that portion of the rep, eliminating the sticking point. Expecting to rep 300 is a big jump. Start off slower, like 305-315 and see how that goes first.

xtraflossy

xtraflossy

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
That may work to a point but If you WANT to bench 230 and can get 200 up twice then it aint gonna happen plain and simple. That is the perfect recipe to get injured. You are better off increasing the weight slow and steady imo.

While injury can happen when stressing too hard I don't think , a 25lb increase on bench (or squat / back)( shouldn't be all that punishing for the rep scheme here

He's already getting 250 x 4-5 (can't remember)
A strength increase of that size is realitivly small, FOR the progress he SEEMS to be making (he mentioned upping his bench already once, and it would SEEM he's been at that weight before and is tring to get back)

This would be the FASTEST way I know to accomplish this. SAFTY needs to be left up to him as I can't tell what type of stress his body feels.
It's ment for use for a short amount of time.

All the usual other supporting excersises can be (M press, tricepts.. ) trained with greater intensity as well

Flick

Awards

I agree. If you get injured then that's going to put a damper on your goals. Don't lift more than you can handle. You have to acclimate your body to the weight over time.

RoidRageX10

RoidRageX10

Awards
  • Established
Listen to Xtraflossy. What he is saying is true!

I've used a variation of that idea and its awesome! I used a spot and my bench blew up when it was just me. All that heavy weight is stimulating tons of fibers and will force muscle growth and new muscles that can hold that weight.

If I kept benching during baseball season, who knows what I could be putting up now..

amt4331

amt4331

Awards
Well my bench isn't great but it's going up. I usually do some warm up sets, then a heavy set of 8, then a heavy set of 3-5 then a heavy single, then drop back down for a few more sets of 8-10. I'm about 181lbs and bench right around 300. I've done 245x8 and 275 for 3-4. Here is what I would do if I were going to bench tonight.

Warm ups:
barx10
135x10
185x10
Working sets:
245x8
275x3
295x1
225 for 3 sets to failure(usually 8-10 reps)

smoundzou

smoundzou

Awards
Usually when you stall on bench, it's more than just the pec that has given out.. I would suggest trying some heavy rail presses in a power rack.. Great for stimulating the tri, one of the biggest bench stallers I know of. Try pulling a bench in a power rack, set the rails where the bar will only be about 6-8 inches from the top of the press.. load the bar with 15-30% more weight than you can normally press and do 3 sets of 8-12 reps.. great for helping the body adapt to pressing and holding heavier weight..

FM2K GT

FM2K GT

Awards
i'v upped my bench throughout the yr with high weight low reps, so train like you where in a powerlifting competition, 1-3 reps with 10lbs under your calculated 1 rm

ShiftyCapone

ShiftyCapone

Awards
  • Established
5 sets of 5 and then increase 5 pounds per week....

For instance:

Start at 245. Do 5 sets of 5 at 245. Getting every rep of every set. If you succeed, move to 250 the next week. Keep moving up until you get stuck. If/when you cannot complete 5 sets of 5 solid reps at a certain weight, stay with that weight the following week. Do not move up until you succeed at the previous weight...

Worked well for me. Good luck...