Is it bad to use too many homemade shakes for bulking?

1. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

1. I'm cheap...or should I say, on a budget right now
    2. I don't like to eat all the time, especially at work where it is very hard to sit and eat b/c I'm pretty busy so I prefer something I can quickly make and eat/drink.
    3. My shakes would have 2 cups milk, 1 cup oats, 1 scoop protein, 1 tablespoon olive oil. = roughly 600 calories, 40g/300g/14g

Questions:
    1. If I drink 3 a day morning, afternoon snack, evening...probably in the evening I'd drop the oats though...is that too many calories to get from oats, milk, whey, and EVOO? Should I try to change it up instead?
    2. Since it is mostly liquid, am I going to get a serious spike when I take it and then store more fat?

2. ClintCanada

If you're bulking, shakes can be a good way to get additional protein and calories in a fast and easy way as you say. But -- only as a supplement to a diet which already consists of good, whole food sources. Example -- if you're bulking, you're breakfast lunch and supper should at least be something you need to eat (not just slurp). Then for snacks at say 9:30 and 3pm the shakes can be introduced. Great for post workout too -- I make my shakes for bulking the same way -- but you need whole foods . . .
  3. New Member
    Stats
    6'3"  190 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    25.23%

Yes, they well they are working for me so far i am in the bulking stage and plan to cut (no contest, just some trial and error i guess) in march/april. Train big, eat big, you will bulk!!!
    •   

4. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    21.5%

Quote Originally Posted by TheNinja View Post
    Questions:
    1. If I drink 3 a day morning, afternoon snack, evening...probably in the evening I'd drop the oats though...is that too many calories to get from oats, milk, whey, and EVOO? Should I try to change it up instead?
    I don't see any problem with this, as long as you are getting protein from other whole food sources also. Actaully, I think this is a great idea for convenience calories during your day at work (still challenge yourself by trying to sub whole food for whey as often as possible).

Milk, oats, and EVOO are great sources of calories, so you should feel good about the use of these.

2. Since it is mostly liquid, am I going to get a serious spike when I take it and then store more fat?
    Generally, insulin is spiked from carb consumption. Higher GI carbs typically cause a higher spike in insulin, regardless of its form (oats are considered a lower GI carb).
  5. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Thanks for the feeback so far fellas. I will definitely try to get as much protein from whole foods as possible. Like my noon meal and 7pm meal consist of chicken or beef for the most part along with veggies of some sort, usually broc., spinach, or asparagus. I also have a morning meal of a bagel with peanut butter and a banana.

It's looking like a ton of carbs to get me to 3200 calories. But then it'll be easy to cut, just drop the oats in my shakes, maybe cut out some EVOO and milk if needed and I can cut at 2000-2200 calories
  6. Diamond Member
    Stats
    5'8"  230 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    47.74%
    Achievements Activity AuthorityActivity ProPosting ProPosting AuthorityPosting Veteran

Overtime when supplementing with that much of the same kinds of foods you risk a lot of issues not associated with bulking. Not getting a variety of foods will cause you to possibly become deficient on some vitamins etc. You can also trigger some allergies to certain foods by taking them in abundance or build an intolerance by doing the same thing.

You have to be careful.
  7. Senior Member
    Stats
    6'1"  185 lbs.
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    1.67%
    Achievements Posting Pro

Quote Originally Posted by Jayhawkk View Post
    Overtime when supplementing with that much of the same kinds of foods you risk a lot of issues not associated with bulking. Not getting a variety of foods will cause you to possibly become deficient on some vitamins etc. You can also trigger some allergies to certain foods by taking them in abundance or build an intolerance by doing the same thing.

You have to be careful.
    Interesting. What about if I use this for bulking for 2 months or so? I try to get in different veggies and fruits too.
  8. New Member
    Level
    Lv. Percent
    56.72%

I don't think so.But in our we eat a lot .That may a problem for bulkiness.

Similar Forum Threads

1. Is it bad to take a warm shower an hour after you workout?
    By xpin2winx in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 09-05-2009, 01:52 AM
  2. Is it bad to drink the day before you lift
    By killamac27 in forum Training Forum
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 06-08-2009, 10:07 PM
  3. Nolva in bacardi - how long is it safe to use?
    By WheyGood in forum Post Cycle Therapy
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 08-01-2007, 10:18 PM
  4. for overall health and fitness, is it bad to do cardio after lifting?
    By Grifty McGrift in forum Exercise Science
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 05-10-2004, 07:30 PM
  5. Why Is It Bad To Mix Creatine With...?
    By BIGNBUFF in forum Supplements
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-24-2003, 03:51 PM