Question for those who eat 3500+ cals/day

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
This is a thread directed towards people who have been eating 3,500 cals per day or more for at least 6 months.

It's difficult for me to get in 3,500, let alone 4,000, which is what I would really need to surpass 150 lbs @ 6' tall.

So I'd like to get some specific tips that don't fall into the "general bulking" category. I already follow the well-established protocols. I drink huge protein shakes with whole milk, olive oil, and whey. I cook tomato soup and add rice because it's liquid and it goes down easy. Can of tuna every day, with added sour cream for thickness.

My biggest problem seems to be the fact that I'm unable to consume large quantities of meat. For chicken, I cook two small tenderloins which is about 4 oz. For red meat, it's the same. The way I cook meat is by stewing it on the stove in a mixture of water, olive oil, soy/terriyaki sauce, etc...I do not own a grill and am hesitant to buy one because I'm worried about the carcinogenic side effects of high heat exposure with Teflon coating.

The problem I've found with meat is that, unlike carbs, it satisfies your appetite. It doesn't leave you wanting more 5 minutes after your last bite. Also, meat doesn't taste all that great when it hasn't been coated/marinated/etc. The meat I cook tastes nowhere near as good as what's served in restaurants. This is because I never even knew how to cook meat up until a short while ago, and there's still much that I don't know.

I consume everything but cooked meat in very large quantities. I'm eating several hotdogs a day because they're 170 cals each. I drink milk with my workout shake and also at night. 6-7 eggs a day for breakfast, scrambled with butter added, and 4 chicken breakfast sausages on top of it.

I'm at a loss for what to do. I'm at a standstill and want to start gaining once again. The only thing I can think of to raise my calories would be to start chugging teaspoons of EVOO, or buy PB and eat spoonfuls of that. Problem with the former is that it's very unpleasant, problem with the latter is that I'd go through the jar very fast and there's no real way of incorporating these foods into my existing meals (not gonna add PB to shake, tried that already and it gunks up my teeth and is disgusting to drink in the middle of a workout).

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
It seems like you are putting too much of an emphasis on your protein consumption. 150-200g is what you should aim for and the bulk of your kcals should come from carbs. What is a specific breakdown of your diet with quantities, times, etc?

CROWLER

CROWLER

Anabolic Innovations Owner
Awards
  • Established
I was your height and weight a long time ago.

This is what I did every meal. I saved what I liked most for last. Start with the meat(it can be a small portion), move on past with tomato sauce(I love this so it kept me eating), last was a bowl of icecream. Some may disagree but if you never get enough calories in you simply will not grow.

I would NEVER suggest this to someone who already had a medium high to high bodyfat percentage.

CROWLER

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I've been eating 3500-4500 calories per day for the last few weeks. And Rodja was right. It seems like your focusing too much on protein. I cut my intake down to about 250-300 and focused more on carbs and carb timing. The 3 most important times for carbs, IMO, are breakfast/pre/poat workout. I hit about 100gr at each meal with little to no fat. giveing me 300gr and 1200 cals just from those 3 meals and carbs. Add in 40-50gr of protein at each and your closeing in on 2,000 calories in just 3 meals.

The other meals I incorporate a good amount of protein30~50gr moderate carbs and moderate amount of fat.

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
balance is key. Of course in the morning and around workout time is important becuase of obvious reasons. then again its goal Dependant. Your not going ot run out of glycogen during a 1hr workout routine if you dont eat 100g carbs immediately prior. It is however a good way to put on weight. Bloats me way to much to lift though. I just eat a little more each meal and find that to work better. i am eating around 6k calories right now. its a lot. every 2 hours for instance
Im putting down 9oz chicken, turkey, or steak and about 2 cups of qinuoa with a little olive oil and some onions and peppers and seasonings. i also use digestive enzymes or i would be in trouble. Oh yea and Im on over a gram of gear so that helps too hah

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
its all about the carbs. For 20 weeks i ate 550-650.

Breakfast 100+g carbs
Next meal 100g+ carbs
Next meal 100g+ carbs
Pre workout 100g+carbs
During/post workout shake 90g carbs
Post workout meal 100+g carbs
pre bed- not so much carbs

Jet

Awards
  • Established
Distilled and Warbird, are you getting most of your carbs from oats in your 100g meals?

What kind of macro ratio do you end up with?

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
Distilled and Warbird, are you getting most of your carbs from oats in your 100g meals?

What kind of macro ratio do you end up with?
yeah, mostly from oats

my breakdown was about 260-320 (320 when i started my XF, ActX stack) and 650g carbs 100g fat

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yea my morning and pre workout carbs were Oats. Post workout was 50 oats and 50 WMS. Nothing better than a choclate whey shake with some oats about 1 1/2hr before a workout :D
its good, but tends to make me feel bloated as can be.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
its good, but tends to make me feel bloated as can be.
get some GUT HEALTH!!! it has really helped me. I also have a slight allergy to 2% milk or milk in general really. I think the oatmeal was amplifieing it actually. So i had to start mixing it in water which took away from some cals and some taste.

Anyways......look into it Pudz it;s some good stuff

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
get some GUT HEALTH!!! it has really helped me. I also have a slight allergy to 2% milk or milk in general really. I think the oatmeal was amplifieing it actually. So i had to start mixing it in water which took away from some cals and some taste.

Anyways......look into it Pudz it;s some good stuff
thanks bro. I'll check it out...

oh yea and to comment on one of the original questions:

carbs carbs carbs. and to grow muscle eat a lot of protein with it.

donk

Awards
Stay away from food that causes you too bloat. Get some Waxy Maize Starch for pre, during and postworkout shakes.

warbird01

warbird01

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
i never really understood the phobia ppl have with "bloats"? If i get bloated it only last 30-60 mins, who cares?

silverSurfer

silverSurfer

Awards
  • Established
Brown rice is a good choice for carbs. I read an article a few months ago while looking for info on simethicone to relieve my gas issues. I learned that most carbs (starches) break down in the intestines, not in the stomach, and simethicone's anti-foaming properties only work in the stomach. I also learned that the only carb (starch) that does not produce gas while being digested is rice. I have since then removed oatmeal from my diet and consume a good amount of brown rice every day. I no longer have gas issues from carbs and I still get quality carbs in my diet. Brocoli, asparagus, brussel sprouts, cabbage, beans, etc. also produce gas so I eat them at the end of the day after work. I hope that helps.

pistonpump

pistonpump

Banned
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
sounds like the thread starter needs to learn how to cook...

how old are you man?

if you are 150 you need to train yourself to eat more. eat often and eat whatever you want but make sure you try to keep it quality. stay away from the really fatty foods like some crazy **** like vienna sausages. you can eat fatty food just not all the time. Focus on eating protien with every meal. Eat all the time. Train your stomach to get used to all the foods. Get some good tasting food so you can keep your appetite up.