newbies mass diet - any additions/suggestions?

RaMatkal

Awards
Hi guys,

This is my first post here. I am a newbie to gym/dieting and so i have been reading everything i can get my hands on that deals with the subject. This seems like a great place to start as lots of people seem to know what they are talking about on this board and are willing to share their knowlege.

My stats:
6'2, 180 lbs, 14%bf, skinny arms and legs

I have been using the following diet for the last 5 weeks and have put on 10lbs..

Meal 1
Whey, Multi-dextrin, flax
glutamine, vitamin C
560 cals, 56P/31.2C/23.6F

Meal 2
cottage cheese, yoghurt, oats, milk, whey
multi-vitamin
495 cals, 64P/45C/6F

[GYM]

Meal 3
Whey, multidextrin, flax, chicken, potato, rice
creatine, vitamin C
1010 cals, 63P/130C/26F

Meal 4
tuna, eggs, cottage cheese, rice crackers
458 cals, 58P/29C/12F

Meal 5
Chicken, rice
285 cals, 50P/11C/6F

Meal 6
whey, flax
glutamine, vitamin C
382.5 cals, 42P/2.4C/23F

Total - 3190 cals, 334P/249C/98F
approx 40P/30C/30F

I workout 3 days a week, the above diet being my training day diet. My off day diet is very similar and consists of same nutrient breakdowns...

I have already been bulking for 5 weeks, I planned on bulking for 10 and then doing 2 weeks of cutting to get rid of some of the body fat... Some people have suggested not to bulk for too long a periods... is this true? After the 2 weeks of cutting should i take a break for a week or 2 or should i get straight back into bulking assuming my goal is to bulk further?

Has anyone got any suggestions for how i can improve this? I have been reading a bit about BCAA's and it seems that lots of you are using this. Should this be something i should add to my diet?

Thanks very much.

bassgirl

bassgirl

Awards
My first post too! I am in the same boat as you. I'm a newbie too.

Compared to last year I am leaner (Yay!) and compared to 2 years ago, I look almost like a different person. Just to give you an idea, I've dropped from a size 20 to a 12 in that time. However I still have a long way to go, and know that the easy part is over with now, and the hard part is from here on out! This is "phase 3" , changing my body composition. I have renewed enthusiasm!

I am *very* new to much of these things but I do have a basic understanding of what I need to do, and how my body can do it.

I am 5'8" and 175 lbs, long arms and legs. I have always "carried" my weight well, but now I want to do something not just about my weight but about my physique and metabolism. My goal is to be "mean and lean" (maybe 135 lbs) with higher BMR/RMR so I can control my weight more and also be toned and stronger. I am pretty strong for a gal (esp. a newbie at this level) but aint what I used to be :) . I'm 36, I guess I can't expect to do what I did when I was half this age, or can I?

In addition to my multi vit, I Am taking:
ECA (2 weeks so far, man I have never sweat so bad at the gym before, til today!)
L Carnitine
Green Tea
Biotin (also for hair and nails)
Zinc

and 5-HTP and Chromium Picolinate as well as Fiber Tabs to control my apetite. Not to mention I drink a lot of tea, and energy drinks. I think I have the right "idea" but definitely need some training on how to enhance and get better results.

Last edited:

t-bone2

Awards
  • Established
I have been using the following diet for the last 5 weeks and have put on 10lbs..
If you can continue putting on ~2 lbs/week consistantly, without gaining too much BF, then I'd say you are on the right path. I wouldn't change a thing at this point. It seems to be working for you, so have patience and continue with it until it no longer works. At that point look to change it.