Help a skinny guy get BIG!

dalsor

Awards
Hey guys, I've been lurking around here for a while and have decided to finally make an effort to improve myself. I'm 5'11 148lbs(Super skinny arms, legs, a little bit of a pouch on my stomach though from college) Anyway, I'm a pretty weak guy...never really went to the gym and if I did it was to use the machines or do cardio. I've now realized the way to go is free weights. I'll be starting the Starting Strength Rippetoe(sp?) program next monday and I am very excited. Hopefully I can make some good gains with some hard work and dedication.

Anyway, I had a few questions, chief among them is if you guys could help me with my diet. I am not a very good eater...I eat fast food a lot, eat probably 2 or maybe 3 times a day. I used to drink a lot...stopped that now. But yeah, I am basically an ectomorph with a pudge around the midsection. I was thinking about cutting but the rest of my body is really skinny...and I'd probably do more hurt than good(what do you guys think?). SI think I am going to bulk... It took me a really long time to even come up with this diet, and I'm not even sure if it's okay. I usually eat around 2000 calories a day(I think) so I came up with a 3500(near there, and is that enough?) calorie plan. Here it is:
------
-------
4AM=
-----
1 Scoops Optimum Whey- 120Cal 24Prot 3Carb 1Fat
1 Cup Quaker Oats- 300Cal 10Prot 54Carb 6Fat
5g L-Glutamine
1 Cup Skim Milk- 86Cal 8Prot 12Carb 0Fat
All Mixed together in a shake
Totals: 508Cals 42Prot 69.0Carb 7Fat
4:30AM
-----
Multivitamin
6g BCAA's
2 fish oil capsules

5:00AM
-----
GYM
Plan on getting workout done in an hour

6:00AM=
Within 10 minutes of workout
-----
2 Scoops Optimum Whey- 240Cal 48Prot 6Carb 2Fat
6g BCAA's
8g Glutamine
35g Dextrose
35g Maltodextrin
Mixed in a shaker bottle consumed over 60 minute period to reduce fat gain. First 5 minutes 1 Half of Shake. Let settle for 15 Minutes=20 Minutes
Drink remaining solution over 40 minute period.
Totals: 326cal 56prot 88carb 2fat
----

9AM=
-----
4oz Chicken Breast 110Cal 25prot 1carb 2fat
1 cup brown rice 216cal 5prot 44.8 carb 1.8fat
2 Cups Brocolli 42Cal 6prot 12 Carb 0Fat
1 Apple 95Cals 0Prot 25Carb 0Fat
Total:463cals 36prot 82.8carb 3.8fat

12PM=
-----
2 Slices Whole Wheat Bread 138Cal 4Prot 24Carb 2Fat
2Tbsp Naturally More PB 169Cal 10Prot 8Carb 11Fat
1 Scoops Optimum Whey- 120Cal 24Prot 3Carb 1Fat
8g Glutamine
shake
Totals:513cal 46prot 47carb 14fat

3pm=
-----
4oz Chicken Breast 110Cal 25prot 1carb 2fat
1 cup brown rice 216cal 5prot 44.8 carb 1.8fat
2 Tbsp Olive Oil 119Cal 0prot 0carb 14fat
Totals: 487Cals 36prot 57.8Carb 17.8fat

6pm=
----
1 Can Tuna 179 Cal 39 Prot 0carb 1fat
1 cup Sweet Potatoes 128 Cals 2Prot 30carb 0fat
Totals:468 Cal 47Prot 42Carb 14Fat

9pm
-----
1 Ground Beef Patties 141Cal 22Prot 0Carb 2.5Fat
1 cup Sweet Potatoes 128 Cals 2Prot 30carb 0fat
Totals: 430Cals 30Prot 42Carb 16.5Fat

11pm=
-----
1 Cups NonFat Cottage Cheese 123cal 25prot 1.5carb .5fat
4tbsp Flaxseed 148Cals 4Prot 8Carb 12fat
Totals: 271Cals 29Prot 9.5Carb 12.5Fat

Grand TOTAL: 3466Cals 322Prot 437.3Carb 100.1Fat
----

Also do you guys think I need more calories? Or should I just keep it at that and adjust accordingly? Just to let you guys know too, This is my workout day meal plan, I'll make one for my off days with these same macros...just kinda condense them. Any advice is mucho appreciated. Thanks!

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
dont just plan 3500.... EAT 3500 cals man come up shut up pick up a fork and eat! eat! eat! if you throw up Eat that too! and when you feel full and stuffed drink a shake. also drink creatine with your pre and post workout meal/shakes and your post shake drink it as soon as possible not over 40 minutes longer you wait the less of a chance you have getting those nutrients HOME
later brodey

kw1k

Awards
dont just plan 3500.... EAT 3500 cals man come up shut up pick up a fork and eat! eat! eat! if you throw up Eat that too! and when you feel full and stuffed drink a shake. also drink creatine with your pre and post workout meal/shakes and your post shake drink it as soon as possible not over 40 minutes longer you wait the less of a chance you have getting those nutrients HOME
later brodey
He's right man. Obviously you are very skinny, and at this point you can pretty much eat whatever you want. Since your weak, i would suggest to learn how to control the bar and not allowing the bar to control you. form over ego. Always.

Eat my friend! and even when you think you have had enough food you probably haven't . 3500 calories isn't going to do ****! you need more:burg: :dl: :squat:

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
ding ding ding ^^^

ps you can do it, it all depends on if you REALLY wanna

dalsor

Awards
Hey guys, again thanks for the great responses. I'm going to change my skim milk to whole milk and the fat free cottage cheese to normal cottage cheese. Good idea or no?

Also one question, would it be totally irrational to start a cut first? Like I said, I have not much muscle mass...but I do have quite a bit of pudge on my lower abs. I don't know whether I should bulk first, or cut and then bulk(I don't want to look like a starved child though) I'm just scared that I'll end up with huge amounts of fat and will spend such a long time cutting that I will just end up back where I started.

Thanks guys, and sorry for all the questions

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
you need some more sleep man. although they said 3500 cals aint gonna do it... you'll make fine gains with almost doubling your average cal intake. but they are right... pretty much at that low weight you can eat all you want and whatever you want. although dont take the whatever literally. keep it natural and stay away from the fast food. of course the fast food is gonna happen. whenever i get fast food i make it chick fil-a. or however they spell it. at least two chicken sandwiches with their whole wheat buns. good job on the diet though. stay that dedicated and you'll get there.

Definitely check out the training forum. a lot. lots of good stuff in there. you need way more sleep than that though man. although i'm sure it's not completely by choice... but it'd be good for recovery and just your body in general to get more sleep.

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
you're not really fat though. you may have some pudge on the stomach but just keep the diet as you have it and do ab work. i only do cardio like once a week which some say helps with the abs but some also say just ab work and diet gets them their six pack abs. remember you can work abs and calves every day. although i dont know many who do. i'd say do abs 3 times a week if that's you're main focus.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I say bulk first man. If you haven't got much muscle mass, then get used to the gym, eat right, and bulk first. If you bulk first, and gain some muscle mass, then your daily basal metabolic rate (how many calories you burn without exercising) will increase, therefore, when you do want to get rid of that belly fat, and want to cut up, not only will you have more muscle to show, you will have a faster metabolism (even though its obviously really fast already lol) and you can burn fat much easier. But thats IMO. That's what I would do man.

dalsor

Awards
Thanks guys, you guys are giving me good motivation. I'm gonna post some pictures in the next hour to let you guys know what I am starting with.

----

---
Not the greatest pictures but you can see my pudge...also my lack of muscle definition ;)

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Definately bulk first man. But bulk smart. Work your calories up gradually so you don't put on too much fat. Granted, when you're bulking, there is some fat gain. So when you do start, don't get too scared and immediately halter your gains by bringing the calories down too much. Save those pics, look at them after you've got some gains. And trust me, you wouldn't wanna see what I started at man lol. But hey, more power to you.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
Yea def start bulking first. Once you start puttin the right kind of foods in your body you'll be amazed at how your body comp. will change.

I do commend you for not starting a thread about useing roids 1st, like alot of ignorant lazy people that come onto this board. If you want any more help feel free to PM me :thumbsup:

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Yeah, definately, same here. I lifted for quite a while thinking supplements would carry me. When I ate right, I went from 165-185 and I've one back and forth, now I'm bulking and I'm at 200. Trust me man, the diet is 80% of the gains.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
If you usually eat 2000 kcals/day, then 3500 kcals will be plenty. You may have to increase that number every month or so, but remember to stay patient and that gaining quality mass is a process. When I started lifting, I was about your size (5'10", 150lbs), but I was able to bulk up to over 200 by eating lots of food and training my ass off.

amt4331

amt4331

Awards
Hey. I'm 5'10" and I was a super skinny little guy at one point. I went from 120 to 140 to 185. All you have to do is eat and lift pretty heavy. The diet looks good, but trust me you won't follow it 100% of the time. Something will come up or you will have to stay late at work... Plan on eating more then 3500. Plan on having a day where you eat as much as you can. Don't be afraid to stop at a fast food place and get 5 burgers, or an entire pizza. EAT!!! Make sure you are getting enough liquid too. Being hydrated is a must.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
I dunno, see my body type is such that I put on fat really easily so I have to eat pretty clean except for a cheat every now and then. But for some people, even major bodybuilders (though they are few and far between) they can eat fatty high cal meals that are in no way healthy and still pack on mass. You kinda have to discover your own body type and what works right for you.

rpen22

rpen22

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • Established
I dunno, see my body type is such that I put on fat really easily so I have to eat pretty clean except for a cheat every now and then. But for some people, even major bodybuilders (though they are few and far between) they can eat fatty high cal meals that are in no way healthy and still pack on mass. You kinda have to discover your own body type and what works right for you.
Healthy and mass-building are not always one and the same. But I agree and I'm the same way in regards to putting fat on easily and everyone needing to learn how their own body reacts to certain diet modifications.

Brian5225

Brian5225

Awards
  • Established
Healthy and mass-building are not always one and the same. But I agree and I'm the same way in regards to putting fat on easily and everyone needing to learn how their own body reacts to certain diet modifications.
Yeah, I know what you mean, but not a whole lot of people would consider pizza and Burger King anabolic meals if ya know what I mean. But some people can pull it off. I can't haha.

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
Consider yourself lucky that you have a "normal" maintenance requirement. You are at a fairly typical weight for someone who eats 2,000kcal/day. If you increase your calories, you will undoubtedly surpass 150 and get a good way towards 200.

On the other hand, I have to eat the number of calories you're planning to bulk with, in order to maintain the weight that you're at NOW. Imagine that...

tattoopierced1

3500 will be fine. No one knows your body but you, so play around with your calories and see what works for YOU. Only thing I'd recoommend, is upping the BCAAs, i.e. 5g w/breakfast, 5g. pre workout, 10g post workout, 5g before bed and also adding in some creatine as well. Hard work and time will get you far;
http://anabolicminds.com/forum/pics/76062-transformer-more-than.html

Hopefully this can be of some inspiration to you.

Fujitsu

Fujitsu

Awards
How is your 4am meal working out for you? That may be too big of a meal too close to your workout. You want make sure your insulin levels are low as you hit them gym. Also, you will want an actual meal within 1 hour of quiting time at the gym. This is 'in addition' to your post shake. Here is what I would suggest:

4:00am - Shake
6:00am - Post shake
6:45am - Oatmeal, milk, hand-full of almonds (basically moving your morning meal to after your workout)

Eating less at 4am is just a suggestion as some people do not have any issues following this protocol. But, if your stomach is upset throughout your workout, or you are struggling to hit your goals, it might be worth a look.

As for as the 6:45am meal, I think this is something most would consider an essential part of post workout nutrition.

dadream

dadream

Awards
  • Established
Diet plays a key role in body composition. If you eat clean, good quality foods, cut out the garbage junk food, you can have a good quality lean muscle bulk. A lot of people might argue and say you're skinny, and you are. But it looks like you have a higher bf% in some areas on your body. If you continue bulking, eating whatever high in fat, low in nutrients etc. you will gain weight and thus may get stronger but these areas w/high bodyfat storage will also grow as you bulk and become even more of a problem to lose. You posted some good diet meals. Keep them they sound good. Although you need fat to grow limit it to ab 50-70g/day and make sure they are healthy mono or polysat. fats. Keep up workout intensity and make sure to rest as others have said. You have taken some very positive steps and i give you a lot of credit man good luck. Keep in mind that you are a young guy, give it some time and you will see results.

Al Shades

Al Shades

Awards
He'd be better off raising his fat intake and cutting his carbs. Chances are, carbs have consisted the bulk of his diet up to this point and have given him his current physique.

Also, did anyone notice that he is doing a 19-hour day? How on earth does that work...

sreed11

sreed11

Awards
  • Established
He'd be better off raising his fat intake and cutting his carbs. Chances are, carbs have formed the bulk of his diet up until this point and have given him his current physique.

Also, did anyone notice that he is doing a 19-hour day? How on earth does that work...
I did notice that. i think more rest would benefit hit mind and his body greatly. but what do i know. i am a noob myself.
i just know i feel like absolute **** and never get too good of a workout when i'm tired. or even if i dont feel tired but didn't get much sleep i feel weaker.

king1033

king1033

Awards
  • Established
just eat clean and welll youll get there food is the secret to hugness