Gut from bulking

P

paranox

Awards
I'm fairly new to body building and have just started over a month ago. I started on 140lb with about 6-7% body fat; clearly an ectomorph.

I am currently at 157lb with approx 11% body fat. I must admit, I have seen an increase in muscle growth in the past month but my concern at the moment is that all the fat seems like it is going to my gut. Maybe I am just paranoid as this is the first time I am at this weight/level of body fat, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. My diet is as follows...

Wake up
15g WPI in water

Meal 1
2x Thick orange and poppyseed toast with peanut butter

Meal 2
Protein shake:
1 cup lactose free milk
1 cup orange juice
Honey
Banana or strawberries
30g WPI

Meal 3
Rice and chicken breast
or Pasta (Spaghetti or lasagne)
or chicken curry
with steamed vegetables, then a banana

Meal 4
Wholemeal sandwich containing ham, cheddar cheese, and capsicum
Banana
Tinned peaches

Meal 5
Protein shake same as meal 2

Meal 6
Similar to meal 3

Bed
15g WPI in water

I drink about 3ltr water per day. On workout days, I take 2 RPM, 2g beta-alanine, and 2.5g CEE pre workout. Then 2g beta-alanine and 2.5g CEE post workout. On non-workout days, I take 2g beta-alanine and 2.5g CEE in the morning, then 2g beta-alanine and 2.5g CEE when i get home.

I do a full body workout on Mondays, Wednesday, and Friday between meal 4 and 5 in the afternoon for approx 1 hour.

So what does everyone think? Gut is there from the amount I eat? I am just paranoid? I'm doing something wrong?

Suggestions and criticism welcome, let me know what else I'm doing right/wrong.

azr101

azr101

Awards
I'm now trying to get rid of the gut that I developed during my last protracted bulk. I was having sooo much fun bulking cause my strength was through the roof but now it's time to pay the fiddler.
Your'e smart to address this now.

azr101

azr101

Awards
By my calculations according to your bodyweight you could be consuming about 3500 calories per day to make solid gains. Without being on anabolic steroids that is.
You could cut down on the amount of carbs. At least on your off days and probably on the weekends too. If you drop your carbs and it's not affecting your energy levels or your pumps than you might be saving yourself alot of flab. Watch those bananas as well and those delicious tinned peaches can be loaded with sugar.
Throwing a little light cardio in there would not hurt either. I know they say that lifting and cardio don't mix, but from my experience, a little cardio pwo, definately increases my strength from workout to workout. I think the key is light cardio, nothing too intense.

Last edited:
P

paranox

Awards
Thanks for the tips, asr.

I'll scrap the tinned fruit. Is it bananas in particular that contain a lot of carbs or fruit in general. ie. Is it a good idea to replace the bananas with berries?

Less carbs on weekends and off days sounds like a good idea. Except my concern is still maintaining my calorie count. What are some good foods to keep my calorie count up while keeping carbs low? Or is it alright to have a lower calorie count on these days? I heard somewhere that removing dairy might be a wise idea to reduce carbs. Is this true?

I've been meaning to start riding my bike on off days but I'll remember to keep it light; I don't want those precious calories going to waste. :p

azr101

azr101

Awards
Well the bananas are high in carbs and sugars as well. You don't have to totally eliminate just watch the intake.
Other fruits? If their is one fruit that any bodybuilder ought to eat it's definately blueberries. Get the frozen ones and they are great to throw on oatmeal or whatever.
Here are some of the things I rely on during a bulk:

chicken breasts
90% lean ground beef
Tuna
1% milk
cottage cheese
Oatmeal
qinoa
almonds
sunflower seeds
sweet potatoes
Splenda! gotta feed that sweet tooth

Could you drop your calories on weekends? I'd say yes. This goes against what some people might say, but it sounds to me like you want to be more than just a heavy guy who likes to lift weights so play around with your calorie count and keep a log of how your strength relates to your diet.

Good luck man!

S

Speedbacker

Awards
Add in cardio in the morning on days you don't train, but keep pounding the food. It should increase your hunger a bit, while helping your calories go more to where you want them to go (nutrient partitioning).

P

paranox

Awards
I'll look into the cardio.

I think I'll also replace meal 4 with cottage cheese and peanut butter.

B

Beebs

Awards
By my calculations according to your bodyweight you could be consuming about 3500 calories per day to make solid gains. Without being on anabolic steroids that is.
What calculations lead you to 3500 calories?

Thats way to much in my opinion, but it works different for everyone. I'm 190lbs and bulk at 3350 calories.

Katch-McArdle formula (BMR based on lean body weight):
BMR=370+(21.6*140/2.2)=1745 calories
Activity level * 1.55=2700 calories

3000 calories is 300 over BMR = 0.6lb/week
3500 calories is 800 over BMR = 1.6lb/week

V

Vinny

Awards
I'm fairly new to body building and have just started over a month ago. I started on 140lb with about 6-7% body fat; clearly an ectomorph.

I am currently at 157lb with approx 11% body fat. I must admit, I have seen an increase in muscle growth in the past month but my concern at the moment is that all the fat seems like it is going to my gut. Maybe I am just paranoid as this is the first time I am at this weight/level of body fat, but maybe I'm doing something wrong. My diet is as follows...

Wake up
15g WPI in water

Meal 1
2x Thick orange and poppyseed toast with peanut butter

Meal 2
Protein shake:
1 cup lactose free milk
1 cup orange juice
Honey
Banana or strawberries
30g WPI

Meal 3
Rice and chicken breast
or Pasta (Spaghetti or lasagne)
or chicken curry
with steamed vegetables, then a banana

Meal 4
Wholemeal sandwich containing ham, cheddar cheese, and capsicum
Banana
Tinned peaches

Meal 5
Protein shake same as meal 2

Meal 6
Similar to meal 3

Bed
15g WPI in water

I drink about 3ltr water per day. On workout days, I take 2 RPM, 2g beta-alanine, and 2.5g CEE pre workout. Then 2g beta-alanine and 2.5g CEE post workout. On non-workout days, I take 2g beta-alanine and 2.5g CEE in the morning, then 2g beta-alanine and 2.5g CEE when i get home.

I do a full body workout on Mondays, Wednesday, and Friday between meal 4 and 5 in the afternoon for approx 1 hour.

So what does everyone think? Gut is there from the amount I eat? I am just paranoid? I'm doing something wrong?

Suggestions and criticism welcome, let me know what else I'm doing right/wrong.
Are you getting enough sleep. I find I can eat close to anything and with enough sleep it doesnt turn to fat (Well I am going overboard but sleep is needed)
keep in mind nothing written in stone what someone can eat and not get a belly another can not even if same body type same workout,age,etc
Overtraining is will also add fat as workout is wasted no muscle
. I find my body doesnt use more than 25 grams protein after I train will slowly start to put on extra weight if I take much more but others here use much more so again you have to experiment