The KING bulking food

Q

quigley

Awards
  • Established
Quinoa.

Quinoa is billed as a grain, but it’s actually a high-protein, gluten-free, super-nutritious seed that is as tasty and versatile as it is healthy. In its uncooked state, it takes the form of small off-white disks. It swells when it’s cooked and has a lightly nutty, slightly earthy flavor - very mild but distinct, and much more interesting than rice or couscous. Easy to cook as rice, same method to cook as rice.

But check this out.

For every cup of this healthy alternative to rice you get- 700 calories, 10g good fats, 10g fibre, 117g high quality carbs, and best of all, 24g of protein!!! The protein in in simple form, easily absorbed by the body.

Im excited lol. Im making a big bowl of this with chicken, egg whites, onion and veggies mixed through. The ultimate bulking meal.

Q

quigley

Awards
  • Established
its available in health food stores and some supermarkets

Q

quigley

Awards
  • Established
also, spirulina is a algae with amazing protein levels, more than any meat, and is considered a superfood because of its health benefits. mixed in your shake its explose in muscle building power. also available in health stores.

bioman

bioman

Awards
  • Established
Been meaning to try quinoa. I really wish spirulina and other algal powders would come down in price.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I tried quinoa once and it was horrible. I am going to try it again, but with some different prep to give it a better flavor.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
I tried quinoa once and it was horrible. I am going to try it again, but with some different prep to give it a better flavor.
This.

Might try some spices and make a chicken dish...but by itself (sort of an oat replacement) it was BAD.

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
This.

Might try some spices and make a chicken dish...but by itself (sort of an oat replacement) it was BAD.
So would be using it as a cous-cous replacement be a more accurate idea.

dsade

dsade

NutraPlanet Fanatic
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
  • First Up Vote
So would be using it as a cous-cous replacement be a more accurate idea.
Yeah, thinking about using some garlic and spices and using it as sort of an Uncle Ben's Chicken/Rice dish.

A

AE14

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I just tried it this AM post workout. I did my normal 10 egg whites, 2 whole eggs with tobasco sauce. Scambled it all together. Was not bad. Tried a spoonful alone and yikes!!!

jonny21

jonny21

Awards
  • Established
For every cup of this healthy alternative to rice you get- 700 calories, 10g good fats, 10g fibre, 117g high quality carbs, and best of all, 24g of protein!!! The protein in in simple form, easily absorbed by the body.
Your reading wrong. That sounds like 1 cup dry which equates to 3-4 cups prepared.

Make sure you rinse it well.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I thought I read recently that Polquin actually prefers this over oats for a carb source.

Distilled Water

Distilled Water

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I thought I read recently that Polquin actually prefers this over oats for a carb source.
Are you thinking of this article, got it from sherdog...

Q: My Asian girlfriend eats all the carbs she wants and still has abs. I can eat too much healthy oatmeal and lose my abs in a heartbeat! What gives? Is this really a genetic or ethnic heritage difference?

A [Poliquin]: Two things here. First, Asians are part of the 25% of the world population that are carbohydrate adapted. Provided they're plain carbs, they can eat them and still remain lean.

Asians can tolerate carbs more because their culture has had agriculture longer than other cultures; they're adapted. (On that same note, perhaps soy is bad for Caucasians but not so bad for Asians. Think about it.) But, most Asians can't tolerate diary. It just hasn't been around long in their diets.

Second, you're not Asian, and oatmeal is the most common food allergen. It comes from the grass family after all.

In 2001 I ran blood work on every single one of my clients using six different labs. Oatmeal always came out as the most frequent food allergen. It can raise cortisol and lead to the storage of fat in the abdominal area.

I'm anti-oatmeal, especially for Caucasians. Quinoa may be a better choice.

Travis

Travis

Banned
Awards
  • Established
Yep that was it! I thought there was more too it though. :think:

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
this sounds interesting. Im def gonna look in my healfood store for this and give it a shot.

Steveoph

Steveoph

NutraPlanet NinjaMonkey Rep
Awards
  • Legend!
  • Established
Are you thinking of this article, got it from sherdog...

Q: My Asian girlfriend eats all the carbs she wants and still has abs. I can eat too much healthy oatmeal and lose my abs in a heartbeat! What gives? Is this really a genetic or ethnic heritage difference?

A [Poliquin]: Two things here. First, Asians are part of the 25% of the world population that are carbohydrate adapted. Provided they're plain carbs, they can eat them and still remain lean.

Asians can tolerate carbs more because their culture has had agriculture longer than other cultures; they're adapted. (On that same note, perhaps soy is bad for Caucasians but not so bad for Asians. Think about it.) But, most Asians can't tolerate diary. It just hasn't been around long in their diets.

Second, you're not Asian, and oatmeal is the most common food allergen. It comes from the grass family after all.

In 2001 I ran blood work on every single one of my clients using six different labs. Oatmeal always came out as the most frequent food allergen. It can raise cortisol and lead to the storage of fat in the abdominal area.

I'm anti-oatmeal, especially for Caucasians. Quinoa may be a better choice.
Hmm, I wonder if that might explain my higher than normal cortisol bloodtest. I eat oatmeal every morning for years, and often with my shakes although my body has probably adapted to it.

Before I forget, look into sprouting your Quinoa! It's quite easy, and the nutritional benefits are huge. I'm a big fan of sprouted wheat berries actually. They're actually quite naturally sweet. For more info, the best site it The Coolest Sprouting Seeds on our Planet!

Rodja

Rodja

Board Sponsor
Awards
  • RockStar
  • Legend!
  • Established
I have noticed that my allergies are noy nearly as bad since I took oats out of my diet.

BodyWizard

BodyWizard

Awards
  • Established
35 on the Glycemic Index, compared to 65 for Quaker Oats - if it can be made palatable, it looks like a win.

P

pudzian2

Banned
Awards
  • Established
I went to the healthfood store and spoke to the owner. she knew alot. She showed me Millet, Quinoa, and cous-cous. She said that the best and most nutrient rich was millet and then Quinoa and cous-cous. I bought Millet and will be giving it a try.

Nitrox

Nitrox

Board Supporter
Awards
  • Established
:frustrate

R

richirich_99

Awards
i just bought some the other day, planning on cooking some up tonight with some chicken...hope its edible! lol