ecto/endo...help!

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
Anyone here an ecto/endo? I think I probably am after struggling to make gains with spot on diet and training. It's hard to put on mass to start with, plus you have to worry about fat gain. Any fellow endo-ectos have some wisdom for me? What do I do?

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Put on mass, and cut fat later. Period

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
Anyone here an ecto/endo? I think I probably am after struggling to make gains with spot on diet and training. It's hard to put on mass to start with, plus you have to worry about fat gain. Any fellow endo-ectos have some wisdom for me? What do I do?
You lost me bro. I think you might have lost yourself somewhere along the way as well. Nobody is an ecto/endo.

Theres 3 different levels of the ecto-endo scale.

An ectomorph is a hardgainer, someone who has a very fast metabolism, is naturally skinny, and has a hard time gaining weight.

A Mesomorph is someone who is typically in between, can either gain weight or lose weight with relative ease by just changing there routine/diet.

An endomorph is the opposite of an ectomorph, someone who naturally has a slow metabolism, burns few calories, puts on weight extremely easy, is generally overweight, or will be overweight unless they watch there diet very closely. Cannot generally cut without doing cardio like an ecto can.

I don't think it's possible for you to be both an ecto and an endo like you suggest.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
?

I have a hard time putting on quality mass when I bulk. Even with a very good diet and routine. I will gain fat and muscle at pretty much a 1 to 1 ratio. In other words I'm a hard gainer (muscle)=ecto. At the same time I can put fat on easily=endo. Make any sense?

MakaveliThaDon

Awards
  • Established
It makes sense. But while trying to stay helpful, because that IS the purpose of this forum, it also makes more sense to me that it seems like you are using the ecto/endo scale as a scapegoat for a poor diet and routine.

Why don't you post those two things up and we could help you out.

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
diet/routine

Diet: Roughly 2800-3000cals (6ft 180lbs...I gain on this).

Meal 1
1 cup oats
1/2 scoop whey
6 egg whites
1tbsp peanut butter

Meal 2 (work)
1 scoop Muscle Milk
1 scoop whey
3/4 cup oats

Meal 3
4oz Chicken breast
2 slices whole wheat bread
1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1 cup veggies

Preworkout
2 slices whole wheat bread
1/2 tbsp peanut butter
1 scoop whey

Postworkout
30g dextrose
30g whey

Meal 4
1 cup oats
Few almonds
5oz chicken breast
1 cup green beans

Meal 5
1 cup fat free cottage cheese

*a lot of whey, but I am at work most of the day and other protein sources are hard to get/inconvenient. I know i should add more whole protein sources, but what else?

Training:

Monday: Back/Bi

T bar rows 3x10
DB rows 2x8
DLs 3x10
Lat pulldown 3x10
BB curl 3x8
Pull ups 3x6

Tuesday: Legs

Squats 4x8
Leg press 3x12
Leg extensions 3x10
Leg curls 3x10
Calf raises 4x10

Thursday: Shoulders/Abs

Db Press 3x8
BB press 3x10
Front Laterals 3x10
Side lateral 3x10
Leg lift 4x10
Weighted Crunch 3x10

Friday: Chest/Tri

flat/incline/decline bench all 3x8
dips 3xfailure
overhead db press 3x10
Pulldowns 3x10

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
juice

I'll do some cycles eventually, but I have only been lifting a little over a year seriously so I want to do what I can naturally first. Anyone else care to help?

Insidious1

Awards
  • Established
sounds good to me bro...

If you are gaining fat and muscle at a 1:1 ratio... its something in your diet (atleast that what it seems like to me...)

Whats yuor current body fat at, and what do you want it to be?

If you are 170lbs and 6ft tall.. you should be relatively skinny... Maybe you tend to be a little more carb sensative like me.... I am similar to you in that i gain both fat easily and muscle is difficult to attain. I can shred up pretty quickly if i want to by lowering my carb intake to 100 grams or so... But my strength does decrease a little aswell...

I noticed i gained my best results when i would cycle my carbs and cals... On my "heavy days" (i.e. chest, back and legs) i would "carb up" prior to working out. Intake about the amount of carbs you do on a daily basis (that you've listed above)... on the other days, i would taper down the carbs, and one day a week i would have a "LOW LOW carb day" which for me meant about 5-75g... This cycling of carbs and cals tended to keep my bodyfat pretty low AND helped me to put on decent gains.

Ultimately.... tweaking your diet for how best fits YOU is gonna work. Know how many cals and carbs and protein your intaking... and adjust it on a 2-3 week basis... seeing how your performance and weight (i.e. muscle bulk) changes throughout the weeks. 3 weeks is about enough time (in my opinion) to see if the diet you're on is "working" for you or not....

Give a couple differet diets a shot and if you're THAT worried about fat gain, do some light cardio a few times a week while maintaining your current diet....

Hope that helped....

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
diet

Thanks for the info. I am currently at 180lbs and the bf% is from 15-17%. The diet is as posted and seems pretty clean to me. I want my bodyfat to be from 12-14% eventually, but for now I want to make my way to 200lbs with little change in bf%. Any specific things that you can see, based on my diet and training?

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
I have the same problem, but I dont gain as much fat as a 1 to 1 ratio. I have come to believe that its the whey protein that adds the extra fat on me.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
what do you mean the whey protein?
Too much whey protein, especially ones that are high in calories, can be stored by your body as fat if they arent used in the muscle for repair...there are numerous factors that make your body more susceptable to storing added proteins as fats..

srx600

srx600

Awards
  • Established
protein sotred as fat

What are those factors that make you more prone to store protein as fat? I am really interested...this may be very helpful to me.

CaponeCEO

CaponeCEO

Awards
  • Established
What are those factors that make you more prone to store protein as fat? I am really interested...this may be very helpful to me.
I read alot of interesting facts about fat buildup on here in different forums, so I am trying to retrace my steps and find the exact post for you....in the meantime here is a few general rules that I have picked up on....remember that protein shakes contain more then just protein most have lots of calories too

Insufficient Hydration
Not eating enough fiber
Bad sleep habits
Not enough calories
Not excercising for a continuous time frame...roughly 30mins

opfor101

opfor101

Banned
Awards
you just have to get on a clean bulk, and just like others said,

bulk first, cut later.

rochabp

rochabp

Awards
  • RockStar
  • Established
try x-factor by molecular nutrition

ccapone1153

ccapone1153

Awards
  • Established
I'll do some cycles eventually, but I have only been lifting a little over a year seriously so I want to do what I can naturally first. Anyone else care to help?

smart man! i comend you on this decision. I wouldnt even think about juice until u fullyunderstand how ur body reacts to different styles of nutrition naturally. and you have maxed out your natural potential. the person who posted above the post i quoted is a moron.