Beer before bed debate

Page 1 of 2 12 Last
  1. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Beer before bed debate

I have heard mixed opinions on this debate for quite a while now. From what I gathered is that some feel that a couple beers at night is good for your weightlifting because beer is a "natural anti-estrogen"..which is where I believe the term "beer balls" comes from. Im curious to find out other thoughts as to why some bodybuilders support it.

The negatives seem to outweight the positives so far, and i myself am not a fan of it, but it might be an informative debate. Alcohol supposedly breaks down muscle, the calories are huge, and beer dehydates you. I know myself before bed I have to get my Protein in as well as some water to keep my body from rolling all night long.

What are the 2 schools of thought?

2. Running with the Big Boys
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.

Alcohol also blunts your testosterone which should end this debate.
    M.Ed. Ex Phys
  3. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

alcohol increases estrogen!!!
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
    •   

4. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Dam*....A post like this should be read by all those Mon-Thurs lifters who go out boozin all weekend..hahaha
  5. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"  195 lbs.

...it makes me snore sooo much that I can't sleep!

This thread from last year immediately popped into my head when I read the original post: 5 Reasons Why Alcohol Will Destroy Your Muscle Gains

Quote Originally Posted by jjohn View Post
    I receive emails every single day from aspiring muscle-builders all over the world, and one of the most common questions I’m asked is “does drinking really affect the muscle growth process?” I’m sorry to say it, but yes, too much alcohol will almost definitely have a significant negative impact on your muscle-building results. Alcohol is far more harmful than most people think, and it’s very important that you understand how this drug (yes, alcohol is a drug) is affecting your progress. This is not an anti-drug speech, but if you’re serious about achieving a truly impressive physique, you should definitely be aware of the 5 main ways that alcohol is slowing down your gains…

1) It negatively affects protein synthesis.

Protein synthesis is the process where amino acids are joined together to form complete proteins. Excessive alcohol consumption slows this process down by up to 20%, and since your muscles are made up of protein, you can see how this is a problem.

2) It lowers testosterone levels and increases estrogen.

Testosterone is the most important muscle-building hormone in your body. One of the limiting factors that determines how much muscle a person can gain is their level of free-flowing testosterone.

3) It causes dehydration.

The kidneys must filter very large amounts of water in order to break down the alcohol, and this can result in severe dehydration within the body. Water plays an absolutely crucial role in the muscle-building process, and being even slightly dehydrated is a recipe for disaster. The muscles alone are comprised of 70% water.

4) It depletes the body of vitamins and minerals.

Alcohol consumption causes vitamins A, C, the B's, calcium, zinc and phosphorus to all be drained at rapid rates. Vitamins and minerals keep every little process in your body functioning properly, and many of these processes involve muscle growth and maintenance.

5) It increases fat storage.

With 7 empty calories per gram, alcohol can actually be quite fattening. Alcohol also disrupts the Kreb’s Cycle, which plays an important role in fat burning.

It’s important to have fun in life, but too much fun can lead to problems. If you’re serious about achieving significant muscle-building results, you definitely need to monitor your intake of alcohol and make sure that you are consuming it in moderation. A few drinks here and there shouldn’t be a problem, but if you find yourself drinking every weekend you can almost certainly kiss your muscle gains goodbye.

If you do decide to go out and party, make sure to drink plenty of water and to properly nourish yourself with vitamins/minerals and a protein rich meal.

I don’t recommend revolving your entire life around your muscle-building program, so don’t be afraid to go out and have a good time once in a while. Just make sure to keep your drinking nights infrequent (no more than once a month) and properly nourish yourself to lessen its effects. As long as you monitor what you’re doing you can achieve an impressive physique and have a social life at the same time.
    RcB Since 09-06-2011 20:55 EST, Post 49
  6. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by CaponeCEO View Post
    Dam*....A post like this should be read by all those Mon-Thurs lifters who go out boozin all weekend..hahaha
    moderation is fine if your not a pro bodybuilder,or athlete.....
    The LORD is my rock, my fortress, and my savior; my God is my rock, in whom I find protection. He is my shield, the power that saves me, and my place of safety.-Psalm 18:2
  7. Registered User

the term beer balls comes from when someone is intoxicated they get a false sense of bravery / strength
  8. Registered User

Well if your on gear year round you woun't have to worry about it hurting your gains. 1-2 gs every week of testosterone will easily overide any catabolism the alcohol would have.lol. If health benefits is what your looking for I think a couple beers is overdoing it. I'd think one beer a night would probably be ok.
  9. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by Rodja View Post
    Alcohol also blunts your testosterone which should end this debate.
    I can't even enjoy a budweiser anymore without visualizing my test levels dropping.
  10. Bananas
    Board Sponsor
    Stats
    5'10"  201 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by chewball View Post
    I can't even enjoy a budweiser anymore without visualizing my test levels dropping.
    yea and according to your avitar pic you need all the test you can get........lol
  11. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by TripDog View Post
    yea and according to your avitar pic you need all the test you can get........lol
    haha. I also feel guilty when I drink a beer. Heck I felt so bad for taking half a can of bud lite.
  12. Board Supporter

Oh well. There goes my two coronas on the weekend.
  13. Banned

a small glass of wine every night(less than 1 cup), healthy and kind of a ritual that gets me ready to sleep.
  14. Registered User

come on guys life cant be all about body building. come saturday night i just got to roll out into town for a few beers and sometimes become a bit of a ladies man. as long as you dont go over board i cant see the harm in it dudes
  15. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vince spider View Post
    come on guys life cant be all about body building. come saturday night i just got to roll out into town for a few beers and sometimes become a bit of a ladies man. as long as you dont go over board i cant see the harm in it dudes
    I agree as long as a few beers doest turn into a night of full boozin. For me the worst part of getting really drunk, which I tend not to do much, isnt the hangover...but the next few days after that when I feel like I've lost the pump that I had only a few days before....which is prob the increased estrogen in my system from the booze
  16. Registered User

im an alcoholic, the weights is what keeps me focused. im in it 110% which means strict diet and no hops
  17. Registered User
    Stats
    5'8"   lbs.

Give me a dose of GABA/E/C and a glass of water over a beer anyday.
  18. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

get over yourself dude, one beer is ok, excessive amounts of beer are not

19. Registered User

Quote Originally Posted by b unit View Post

what is excessive b. i plan on partying this weekend and would 10 beers be ok?
  20. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by vince spider View Post
    what is excessive b. i plan on partying this weekend and would 10 beers be ok?
    for the average joe - 10 beers is excessive

for the rigid bodybuilder who has the weight of the world on his buff shoulders- 1 beer is excessive let alone 10

for me who has retired from the late night drinking - 10 beers is excessive and would take a week to recover (a stag night for one of my best buds was proof of that)

for a reformed alcoholic - 10 beers is excessive and is 10 beers too many

for a guy i know called Ballsy B - 10 beers is just warming up

for vince spider who i read somewhere uses nimbus posiedion to aid in recovery from drinking i guess 10 beers is about your range but it will depend on what the surf is doing the next day i suspect and whether or not u get any action

B U
  21. NutraPlanet Fanatic
    Board Sponsor

IIRC, acute alcohol intake RAISES test, then after a few days lowers it.
    Evolutionary Muse - Inspire to Evolve
    BPS - Where Body meets Performance
    Flawless Skin Couture - We give you the tools to make you Flawless
  22. Registered User

get over myself? I'm just sayin I always have it in the back of my head ever since I learned about the effects of alcohol on protein synthesis and all that...
  23. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

get over myself? I'm just sayin I always have it in the back of my head ever since I learned about the effects of alcohol on protein synthesis and all that...
    dude, u said...

a budweiser? one budweiser and u worry about test levels dropping, protein synthesis etc, darn right get over yourself
  24. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

Ding Ding Ding
  25. Registered User

dude, u said...

a budweiser? one budweiser and u worry about test levels dropping, protein synthesis etc, darn right get over yourself
    All I'm sayin is I always think about it while im drinking...don't be a douche...too late.
  26. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

All I'm sayin is I always think about it while im drinking...don't be a douche...too late.
    now now, calm down chewy

nice hat btw
  27. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

chewballs, i think you're estrogen levels are more your concern anyway, seems by the way u bit-chin, they're a little on the high side
  28. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  180 lbs.

If there is going to be a fight at 2:30 at the flagpole I have to get my azz in gear and get around to all the other classrooms in this highschool to promote this fight.....I think everyones high school had a fight promoter...or maybe it was just mine
  29. Registered User

Beer is probably fine for most. I think its the shots and longislands that will do most people in.lol I personally like to have a beer or two with a meal when I go out to eat and I'll usually have 2 or 3 when I go out to a club or bar. It never hurts my gains at all. Oh and also when I golf with my family I'll have 2 or 3. So it is not out of the norm for me to have 6-8 beers a week and it never hurts my gains. When I was younger I was like alot of the guys on here and scared to touch the stuff and felt guilty that I would mess up my gains. Then I realized I'm not a proffesional and figured why not enjoy life some. Glad I did because gains are the same and I like the taste of a good beer.
  30. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    Beer is probably fine for most. I think its the shots and longislands that will do most people in.lol I personally like to have a beer or two with a meal when I go out to eat and I'll usually have 2 or 3 when I go out to a club or bar. It never hurts my gains at all. Oh and also when I golf with my family I'll have 2 or 3. So it is not out of the norm for me to have 6-8 beers a week and it never hurts my gains. When I was younger I was like alot of the guys on here and scared to touch the stuff and felt guilty that I would mess up my gains. Then I realized I'm not a proffesional and figured why not enjoy life some. Glad I did because gains are the same and I like the taste of a good beer.
    well said, reps
  31. Registered User

how do you enjoy yourself when you drinking when your mind is so worried about test levels?

how old are you?

do you have a pro bodybuilding career or are you a high performance athlete?

i actually agree with mr unit on this one also i think you are way too rigid and need to relax, you'll never succeed with your "bodybuilding career" when you so worried about dimished test levels and protein synthesis from having one beer and a budweiser at that (weak beer)

i think that you maybe are the ...too late.

relax and live a little, go get laid or are you worried that ejaculation will lower your test levels?
  32. Registered User

well said
  33. Registered User

You guys are taking my comment way out of context...
  34. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  242 lbs.

You guys are taking my comment way out of context...
    in saying that chewy maybe you took the "get over yourself" comment way out of context and a bit too personal

as for applauding & goodposting yourself....
  35. Registered User

in saying that chewy maybe you took the "get over yourself" comment way out of context and a bit too personal

as for applauding & goodposting yourself....
    I agree.
  36. Registered User
    Stats
    5'4"  158 lbs.

Quote Originally Posted by Jstrong20 View Post
    cheers to that my friend i love a good beer, in michigan we have plethora of good local brews, bell's makes some beautiful beers, i love oberon, and the porter, also i think a cheeseburger and a pint or 2 of guinness is a great meal for a bulker mmmmmagahagahghh also in pumping iron when ahhnold is asked if he drinks alot of milk he says"milk is for babies, i'm grown so i drink beeAh" and he's huge i'd say
  37. Registered User
    Stats
    6'0"  230 lbs.

Lift weights, then drink beer. Repeat.
  38. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  220 lbs.
  39. Registered User
    Stats
    5'10"  200 lbs.

LOL @ the 2-year bumpage.
    RTR.
  40. Registered User
    Stats
    5'9"  210 lbs.

Good information, thanks everyone!
  •   

Similar Forum Threads

1. Before bed: Casein only or a mix of Whey/Casein/Egg
    By Gaf Knee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 09-09-2003, 09:08 PM
  2. Is fat before bed just as bad as carbs?
    By Gaf Knee in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 07-19-2003, 08:23 PM
  3. best protein before bed?
    By JBlaze in forum Supplements
    Replies: 19
    Last Post: 04-18-2003, 08:33 PM
  4. Best food for before bed
    By Inzah Dude in forum Weight Loss
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 01-27-2003, 07:16 PM
  5. Takeing 1 test before bed???