Is It Bad?

Doubravkody

Awards
Well sense no one answered in my last thread, will someone at least answer this...
is it okay to work out 1 1/2-- 1.45 2 times a week?..and this is straight working out, usually supersets... I'd say 1-2min breaks between each set. ??

Thanks...

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
How many times do you work out per week
Do you do full body or split workouts
Please include as much detail as possible

Doubravkody

Awards
My workout schedule is in my "Any Good" Thread.....that thread should sum it up i believe...

I just want to know whether im keeping myself from quicker gains or not by working out those 2 days for that long??
Or if it doesnt matter sense it is Only 2 days that I work out that long..and the other days usually on average a half hour.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I think that you could be making much quicker gains if you used a different routine.

I could help you with one, if you'd like.

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
I've decided to post up a basic, bulking program. This is a combo program I designed and used with great effect. It's meant to put on mass, plain and simple.
---
Week 1

Day One
Squats - 5x5
Bench - 5x5
Weighted Chinups - 5x8
Pushups - 3 sets of max reps

Day Three
Deadlifts - 5x5
BB Rows - 5x5
Weighted Dips - 5x8
BB Curls - 3x8
Overhead Press - 5x5

Day Five
Squats - 5x5
Bench - 5x5
Weighted Chinups - 5x8
Weekends off

Week 2

Day One
Deadlifts - 5x5
BB Rows - 5x5
Weighted Dips - 5x8
BB Curls - 3x8
Overhead Press - 5x5

Day Three
Squats - 5x5
Bench - 5x5
Weighted Chinups - 5x8

Day Five
Deadlifts - 5x5
BB Rows - 5x5
Weighted Dips - 5x8
BB Curls - 3x8
Overhead Press - 5x5
Week 3 would be week 1's setup.
Lots of rest cuz you grow when you rest.
Full body, heavy workouts stimulate test, GH and muscle mass.

Doubravkody

Awards
A couple questions:

1.) time of rest that should be taken between each set?

2.) BB rows.....is that bent rows? :p

3.) Overhead press works mainly the shoulders right?

Thanks

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
General rule of thumb is that after 30-45 minutes the downs' outweigh the ups.....Ever heard of cortisol?And Catabolilism...Not a good things...Unless your in the gym chatting with peeps and not really hitting it hard its shouldn't be taking you anywhere near over an hour....A few peeps here/there can get away with long workouts,but the majority of peeps do not benefit it,Overtraining is a very common thing,Overtrain and you can be in good shape,but you won't be making pronounced gains...its really not worth the risk....Get In/Get Out,Get your sets in,Don't play around,Only enough time between sets to catch your breath and you'll be much better off IMO...Again everyone differs slightly ,but most end up overtraining....Less is More....I'm on a huge cycle
Today was back day,and I was nearly through 2-3 sets of 4 exercises and I looked at the clock and it had only been 20 minutes...So I decided to get my Shrugs out of the way for the week which I usually do w/ Shoulders ...Of course I'm on alot of gear and catchin' my breath pretty quick...And I really like a Fast paced Intense Workout....Much More productive IMO,Stay as far away from overtraining as possible and you will grow,Even drop a couple sets here/there...you would be suprised...

And seeing your lifts I don't see how its taking that long to get those lifts in...Also IMO those 5 sets should only be 3 sets..If you don't tax your muscle heads in 2-3 sets your not lifting til' complete failure...Biggest thing I see with your routine is your not really hitting the groups very hard,especially bi's tri's.....In an entire week your only straight Bicep Isolation is BB Curls....Thats not gonna cut it IMO...I don't see any Precher Curls,Hammer curls,Concentration curls....Zero
Also need a little more tricep stuff,Some Tri Pushdowns,I think you had some SkullCrushers in there,Couldn't tell for sure...Wide grip bench.... All very important..
Chest: You only have 5 sets of flat bench a week?Again not good...Should be doing some prexhaust stuff...like DB Flys,then straight to flat bench,repaet,repeat,Some DB Incline Press's,
More DB Fly's... The problem with the pushups your throwing in there is that Pushups recruit multiple muscle groups,groups you have that are needing rest particularly per your routine...
I guess I just don't see any of your muscle groups actually getting a full workout and defenitely not full recovery before worked out again...My guess is this routine will take you nowhere fast and exhaust you in a couple months and actually backfire,you'll be in shape,just not making mass gains

When you pull up outside your gym next time,get out the car,smack yourself in the face 10-15 times,Beat on your chest like Tarzan...Start cussin' like someone just ran over your puppy dog,and get in there pumped and start tearin' some Iron Up.....Good luck

Doubravkody

Awards
on Monday and wednesday I do 11 different exercises 3 sets of each one, I figure each individual set takes round 30 secs -1.30min...some take longer, some less- average would be 1 min. which right their is 33mins total....then you figure 2 mins of rest between each set so 2 x 33= 66mins 66+33= 99mins= 1.39 hours give or take....so it can take that long :p

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
on Monday and wednesday I do 11 different exercises 3 sets of each one, I figure each individual set takes round 30 secs -1.30min...some take longer, some less- average would be 1 min. which right their is 33mins total....then you figure 2 mins of rest between each set so 2 x 33= 66mins 66+33= 99mins= 1.39 hours give or take....so it can take that long :p
An hour rest?Thats too long....I hit it hard 5 days a week and make fast gains,but believe what you want,Thats too much rest,plus drop the pushups and grab some weights,You need more Isolation stuff in your routine....your workout is not going to add mass,its just not:whiner: Good luck

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
General rule of thumb is that after 30-45 minutes the downs' outweigh the ups.....Ever heard of cortisol?And Catabolilism...Not a good things...Unless your in the gym chatting with peeps and not really hitting it hard its shouldn't be taking you anywhere near over an hour....A few peeps here/there can get away with long workouts,but the majority of peeps do not benefit it,Overtraining is a very common thing,Overtrain and you can be in good shape,but you won't be making pronounced gains...its really not worth the risk....Get In/Get Out,Get your sets in,Don't play around,Only enough time between sets to catch your breath and you'll be much better off IMO...Again everyone differs slightly ,but most end up overtraining....Less is More....I'm on a huge cycle
Today was back day,and I was nearly through 2-3 sets of 4 exercises and I looked at the clock and it had only been 20 minutes...So I decided to get my Shrugs out of the way for the week which I usually do w/ Shoulders ...Of course I'm on alot of gear and catchin' my breath pretty quick...And I really like a Fast paced Intense Workout....Much More productive IMO,Stay as far away from overtraining as possible and you will grow,Even drop a couple sets here/there...you would be suprised...

And seeing your lifts I don't see how its taking that long to get those lifts in...Also IMO those 5 sets should only be 3 sets..If you don't tax your muscle heads in 2-3 sets your not lifting til' complete failure...Biggest thing I see with your routine is your not really hitting the groups very hard,especially bi's tri's.....In an entire week your only straight Bicep Isolation is BB Curls....Thats not gonna cut it IMO...I don't see any Precher Curls,Hammer curls,Concentration curls....Zero
Also need a little more tricep stuff,Some Tri Pushdowns,I think you had some SkullCrushers in there,Couldn't tell for sure...Wide grip bench.... All very important..
Chest: You only have 5 sets of flat bench a week?Again not good...Should be doing some prexhaust stuff...like DB Flys,then straight to flat bench,repaet,repeat,Some DB Incline Press's,
More DB Fly's... The problem with the pushups your throwing in there is that Pushups recruit multiple muscle groups,groups you have that are needing rest particularly per your routine...
I guess I just don't see any of your muscle groups actually getting a full workout and defenitely not full recovery before worked out again...My guess is this routine will take you nowhere fast and exhaust you in a couple months and actually backfire,you'll be in shape,just not making mass gains

When you pull up outside your gym next time,get out the car,smack yourself in the face 10-15 times,Beat on your chest like Tarzan...Start cussin' like someone just ran over your puppy dog,and get in there pumped and start tearin' some Iron Up.....Good luck
I appreciate your advice bro. I just don't beleive isolations have any place in bulking. There are a couple of points I want to address:

1.) Each muscle group gets hit 3 times per week, but not obliterated with countless exercises and sets (which is what leads to over training.)
2.) Bulking you have more calories, and 4 days rest per week. Your also hitting each muscle group with only 1-2 exercises at the MOST. Again, I don't see any overtraining issue.
3.) I can't see how you say your triceps and biceps arent getting enough work. Triceps are getting hammered thrice per week with weighted dips, bench and pushups. And biceps are getting hit with weighted chins, rows and deadlifts. Arms get hit hard enough with these big exercises. Doing isolations is only spinning your wheels, when you should be spending that energy eating.

With your idea of pre exhaust, isolations, you will need more rest than this, but it sounds like your describing a split, and not a full body program like I am.

I'm sure your familiar with this sort of idea (Rippetoe's starting strength) which has proved to have great effectiveness, not only for beginners but for athletes wanting to add mass fast. This routine should be followed for 6-8 weeks at the most and then changed like anything else.

I heard someone say once, Cut your routine in half and work twice as hard on what's left. If you refer to the other thread, the OP had too much and was working out for too long. I tried to steer him in the right direction.

RR

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
1.) time of rest that should be taken between each set?
1 minute. The sets should be taken to the point where you can't lift 6 reps. If you can lift 6, add more weight so your at 5.

2.) BB rows.....is that bent rows? :p
Yes.

3.) Overhead press works mainly the shoulders right?
Yes.

Overhead press is the best way to judge upper body strength. You have no support, no bench to push against. It's just man lifting weight in the air.

Also, once you 'plateau' with this routine (stop making strength gians), make sure to take a week off and change it up.

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
Still man,all that said,hitting the same muscle 3 times a week is not gonna benefit anything mass wise..you mentioned total body...thats what a 5 day split covers...Check out you tube even,google some Ronnie Coleman workout vids...You never see the guy doing anything total body...as you put it...But he's only a nearly 10time Olympia;)..Back day is Back day,when you hit Back hard you won't have time/energy for anything else...Same with arms,ArmDay:You should be able to scratch your own head when your done,barely lift your arms out in front of you,LegDay:Good luck walking out the gym if you hit everything hard,and you'll be doing good if you didn't hurl a time or two doing leg presses....I do see you mentioning Deadlifts which is a great movement,And Bench,but just flat bench doesn't cover chest,and pushups and up recruiting triceps which fail before chest gets exhausted...And No preacher curls..They're a must have for big bi's...And Tricep Pushdowns...Another Staple....
But each time you tax a muscle group it should have a full 7 days to rest,minimum...If thats working good for you,this will work much better...Theres no need for pushups in a mass routine..unless you don't have a gym...or in bootcamp or something...Just Constructive critisism...I'm sure you have a few trainers at the gym you workout at....Talk to em' sometime,One of the Big Guys...not a fat guy or some cardio chick...I am Certain you will get the same advice...Less is More...Its 50/50 Train/Rest....if your cheating your body on either then you'll lose out...I hope I'm not coming off rude,I really am trying to be helpful,this stuff is SO important its not even funny

RenegadeRows

RenegadeRows

Awards
  • Established
Still man,all that said,hitting the same muscle 3 times a week is not gonna benefit anything mass wise..you mentioned total body...thats what a 5 day split covers...Check out you tube even,google some Ronnie Coleman workout vids...You never see the guy doing anything total body...as you put it...But he's only a nearly 10time Olympia;)..Back day is Back day,when you hit Back hard you won't have time/energy for anything else...Same with arms,ArmDay:You should be able to scratch your own head when your done,barely lift your arms out in front of you,LegDay:Good luck walking out the gym if you hit everything hard,and you'll be doing good if you didn't hurl a time or two doing leg presses....I do see you mentioning Deadlifts which is a great movement,And Bench,but just flat bench doesn't cover chest,and pushups and up recruiting triceps which fail before chest gets exhausted...And No preacher curls..They're a must have for big bi's...And Tricep Pushdowns...Another Staple....
But each time you tax a muscle group it should have a full 7 days to rest,minimum...If thats working good for you,this will work much better...Theres no need for pushups in a mass routine..unless you don't have a gym...or in bootcamp or something...Just Constructive critisism...I'm sure you have a few trainers at the gym you workout at....Talk to em' sometime,One of the Big Guys...not a fat guy or some cardio chick...I am Certain you will get the same advice...Less is More...Its 50/50 Train/Rest....if your cheating your body on either then you'll lose out...I hope I'm not coming off rude,I really am trying to be helpful,this stuff is SO important its not even funny
Naw man, not coming off rude at all. I'm just saying, there are other ways to train other than the standard "once a week" routine. What about 5x5, Rippetoe, etc? Those methods have been proven to work very well. There's alot of guys who use full body splits

Doubravkody

Awards
getswole.....how do u figure an hour is to much rest? its 2 mins between every set..:p what do u want me to not take a breather? :p

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
getswole.....how do u figure an hour is to much rest? its 2 mins between every set..:p what do u want me to not take a breather? :p
I guess I could understand 1-2 minutes,You are both right,biggest thing is everyone is different,not sure if you guys play around with any gear either....Maybe I just catch my breath faster,I would think if you monitored your heartrates you would realize you are really resting beyond catching breath,I Like to pace in between sets...rather than be still,I see myself catching my breath much quicker that way..I think when alot think they are catching there breath ,they are really letting their heartrate drop back down to near normal...which is not a great idea...Yiou guys should at least try this on chest day...
'
Load your Bar up for Flat bench as usuall and have it ready to lift,go grab some DB's you can do around 8 reps or so...,Do the dumbell flys to failing,then go straight to Flat bench dfast as possible and start the reps...whole point in this pre exhaust is that your triceps always fail in flat bench before you fully work the chest to failure....do this for 3-4 sets or whate ver your gonna do....and watch and see how sore your mid chest is next day....Just try it;)

Biggist thing is quickness...once your db flys are over, and your running to the flat bench,your muscles in 5 seconds will already have hit 50% recovery,they recover very fast from that last failure rep...so in those 5 seconds your just trying to beat the clock,quicker=better

Doubravkody

Awards
true, but reason I take 2 min rests is because i have done one right after the other, and i notice im not able to get as much in

For example I start off with flat bench and do 8 reps...i go to db curls do 8 reps each arm...then if i go back to flat i notice im not able to put up the 8 reps, usually 2 less possibly more...

getswole

getswole

Awards
  • Established
true, but reason I take 2 min rests is because i have done one right after the other, and i notice im not able to get as much in

For example I start off with flat bench and do 8 reps...i go to db curls do 8 reps each arm...then if i go back to flat i notice im not able to put up the 8 reps, usually 2 less possibly more...
Thats the downside of super-set type approach...recovery...I like to knock one thing out,then move to another...then another,not back and forth,when I've went back and forth I noticed the same thing,So I stopped Supersets and have been better off since.